• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's cure cancer with our phones

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
world-community-grid.jpg

sig.png

This idea came from the current Folding At Home Team we have on Android and it's thread that could be found here.
http://androidforums.com/computers/74190-join-phandroid-folding-home-team-56k-warning.html

When I learned about the Stanford Folding at Home I wanted to learn more about this donating computer time for great causes like finding cures for Aids, or finding ways to clean water so everyone in the world could have something to drink. I went in search for something different, more unified for all my devices and I found Boinc.

boinc_logo_t.png

Android Forums Status
2/25/14
Members: 7
Total Run Time: 4 Year, 54 Days, 19 Hours
Work Units: 6,189

Boinc is a software, in which companies like IBM with World Community Grid could send its users Work Units for their computers to process. Boinc has now created a software for Android and that is what made me want to create this thread. As we have a Folding at Home team, I think it's more relevant that we have a World Community Grid Team, just because, well... This is an Android Community, and World Community Grid now supports Android so we could all potentially make a difference by letting our smartphones compute.

Here is a lot more detail because I have some time on my hands. I chose World Community Grid because it is much like Folding at Home because it does scientific research for some of humanities biggest problems. Things like diseases like AIDS, clean water, cancer, malaria, Leishmaniasis, and so much more. A list of all the research that WCG has done is in the link.

World Community Grid - Research Overview

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc

Boinc is simple to install. It's just an app in the Play Store and it works with many phones and Tablets. (I am currently running on all my tablets, and will be running it on my Moto G when I get it too). It's perfectly safe for a phone or tablet to be running 100% an the app will stop when it reaches a certain temperature. (35C) The app will not compute when it's on battery unless one changes the settings, and will not use mobile data unless one changes settings. Joining the team is simple as we could provide a link to our homepage if this becomes a reality.

allprojimg.png

If you'd like to help, Follow instructions below:

Download the BOINC App From the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc

Create a World Community Grid account over at World Community Grid website:
World Community Grid - Home

Then join the Android Forums Team by clicking on the link below and then by clicking on "Join Team"
World Community Grid - Team

Open the Boinc App from your smartphone or tablet. When prompted to select a project, scroll all the way to the bottom and select world community grid. They will ask you to log in to your World Community Grid account. Do so with the account you created.

Recommended Settings For Computing With Your Phone

When you go to preferences on the Boinc app Check mark the "Show Advanced preferences and controls"
This will open up all the settings for the app and the computing power it uses, as well as other settings.

Network
Check mark "Transfer task on WiFi only". --> This, is just to make sure that you will not use your mobile data while you are computing, running up data on your phone that can be used for other things.

Battery
Make sure "Compute on Battery" is NOT Checked. --> When this is checked, you will be computing on battery, and will drain your phone's battery in less than 2 hours.

It's recommended that you do not change the settings with the temperature, as you do not want your phone/tablet to get too hot. If anything, turn it down by 5C.

If you are not going to compute on battery, then you may change the "Min. Battery Level" down to 10%. This means that Boinc will not start computing unless the battery is at least on that percentage. And if your connected to your charger, you will be automatically computing when you reach that level, meaning you will always be computing when your are connected to your charger. Your battery will still charge, even while computing.

CPU
To make sure you get a full use out of Boinc while computing, change the CPU cores to the maximum. (For some it may be 2, others it may be 4)
To get the full use out of the cores change the "CPU Limit" to 100%

Storage
It is not recommended to change anything with this.

Memory

Debug

If you have any questions about anything regarding World Community Grid, Boinc, or the team, please let us know.

Thanks for supporting the team!

I was a long time SETI@home participant on my workstation. I thought it was a great idea ... unique ... awesome. Then it turned into a BOINC and SETI isn't even supported under BOINC/Android.

It is not blatantly obvious to people what it is all about and the diversification that came in with BOINC makes it even more obscure. You can now argue the merits of one BOINC endeavor over another.

Since my (the original) project was not supported I've never used BOINC on Android.

... Thom

Reactions: sarzil
Upvote 0
Well it took days to get one reply. Is this thread too long?
Thanks for your support.

It's not too long, just some people don't know what it is just from the name. If you want to grab attention you could rename the thread so it's something that people might understand a little better ;)

Just saying...people are daft, it's just if someone doesn't understand what the thread is about they might not even bother clicking.

I might hop aboard this cause :)

Upvote 0
It's not too long, just some people don't know what it is just from the name. If you want to grab attention you could rename the thread so it's something that people might understand a little better ;)

Just saying...people are daft, it's just if someone doesn't understand what the thread is about they might not even bother clicking.

I might hop aboard this cause :)

Your completely right. It happens to me sometimes.

Except I can't change the name of the thread, just the post.

If a moderator can. Change it to something like "Let's cure cancer with our phones" or something like that.

I don't think even on the website they let me change the thread title. Think I tried it before. (Not using the website)

Upvote 0
I don't think the folding@home team was ever officially endorsed by AF/Phandroid, so I don't see the harm in posting this in Computers & IT (or I'll move it there) and seeing what interest you can drum up?

I or someone would have to create the team on World Community Grid. It would be nice to have a few people help me kick it off.

Upvote 0
They're updating statistics, should be done in about 5 minutes

EDIT: I've moved this to Computers & IT and stuck it

Thanks.
I have joined the team! Now I have 6 computers rooting for the team. Let's see if we could get more members. Pal, are you joining the team? Getting the app or installing the software?

Upvote 0
My phone and tablet are both on. My laptop isn't at the moment but maybe down the road

For a laptop, I don't know if I would want that running all the time. Two of my desktops are always running tho. Imma have to change up the post and my signature to better suit this thread now as it's a team now. Thanks. :)

I've edited the post giving out detailed instructions on how to join the team, and create a WCG account.

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0
How very timely - I played with BOINC when it first launched on Android, but hadn't used it in months... Until today. On a whim, I loaded it up again a few hours ago.

And then I saw this thread. Joined up on the team. Thanks for organizing!

Awesome man!! Really, thanks for joining the team and supporting this. I'm still in the work with trying to organize this and get it in my Signature.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones