• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's cure cancer with our phones

I just checked on the kindle to see how this thing is running and it is giving me an error message? It says I don't have any device detected ? I pressed on the help button and it says I havnt accepted the google play terms....but I HAVE!!!

what do I do now? or is it just running in the background somewhere?? I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure how to fix it or if I even have to? Does it need to be on and running? Can it be in sleep mode so to speak? I barely use it but will keep it on if that's what I need to do?ughhhh sorry for the trouble...help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
I just checked on the kindle to see how this thing is running and it is giving me an error message? It says I don't have any device detected ? I pressed on the help button and it says I havnt accepted the google play terms....but I HAVE!!!

what do I do now?

Unless you have sideloaded it, the Kindle doesn't come with Play. It is a fork of Android so may not be compatible.:(

Upvote 0
Unless you have sideloaded it, the Kindle doesn't come with Play. It is a fork of Android so may not be compatible.:(

That may be it. It's a Google Play app.

Also, WCGrid tweeted earlier today, World Community Grid Will be down From Jan 22 - 24 not downloading or sending any Work Units.

They are down for Fixing, sorta like this site is sometimes.

Upvote 0
I think it is sideloaded on there...but maybe I can't access all the apps unless its rooted...which it is not...What's weird is that I thought I signed up ...and it was easy:rolleyes: maybe I didn't wait to see the error message...or maybe it IS just down....I'll try to figure it out:eek:

What if you got BOINC from the Amazon App Store Thing? Amazon.com: BOINC: Appstore for Android

Reactions: huh
Upvote 0
@sfbloodbrother, are you also-known-as Vishera?

gYGR0Po.png

You're kicking our butts!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@sfbloodbrother, are you also-known-as Vishera?

gYGR0Po.png

You're kicking our butts!

Yes. But note i have 7 computers computing. 2 powerful desktops_!

I've just joined the team as well! I've been waiting for the AF team since it was mentioned in the F@H thread, can't wait to rack up those points now

And I'm gonna install it on my PC too, only problem being do I install it n my HDD or the SDD :p

It won't matter that much. I'd put it on ssd though just so ur HDD does not have to be used as much.

Sweet! The new version of the Android BOINC client supports Ouya - I finally have a use for that turd!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc
That's great news!

Upvote 0
Can someone provide some more details about what actually we have to do means what does the app do after installing on our phone and what does the term "computing" means??? I dint got any idea about what actually i have to do after installing the app and how does its gonna help so can someone elaborate it in detail please.

Upvote 0
Can someone provide some more details about what actually we have to do means what does the app do after installing on our phone and what does the term "computing" means??? I dint got any idea about what actually i have to do after installing the app and how does its gonna help so can someone elaborate it in detail please.

In a nutshell, BOINC will use your device's idle processing power (when you're not using it, of course) to perform analysis and computation on tiny chunks of data related to medical or technological research. Once the processing is complete, BOINC will return the results to The Mothership, where they'll be combined with results from all of the other devices participating in the program. The tiny chunks will add up over time, and perform research on a much larger scale than would be possible with just a single computer or even cluster. You'll receive credit/points for each chunk of data that you successfully process and return. By joining the AF team, those points will be combined so we can see how much good we're doing together.

Does that help any?

Reactions: shahabazas
Upvote 0
I think a fair question is whether this puts folks on limited data plans at risk of burning that allotment or can communication with the mothership be set to use WiFi only?

BOINC has an option to restrict data transfers to wifi-only, and also a configurable daily transfer limit to keep it from burning through data if that option isn't selected. :thumbup:

9yjuzy6a.jpg

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
In a nutshell, BOINC will use your device's idle processing power (when you're not using it, of course) to perform analysis and computation on tiny chunks of data related to medical or technological research. Once the processing is complete, BOINC will return the results to The Mothership, where they'll be combined with results from all of the other devices participating in the program. The tiny chunks will add up over time, and perform research on a much larger scale than would be possible with just a single computer or even cluster. You'll receive credit/points for each chunk of data that you successfully process and return. By joining the AF team, those points will be combined so we can see how much good we're doing together.

Does that help any?

BOINC has an option to restrict data transfers to wifi-only, and also a configurable daily transfer limit to keep it from burning through data if that option isn't selected. :thumbup:

9yjuzy6a.jpg
I could Not have Said it better myself!

I want to see if i Can get a banner and post it here for our team

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones