• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's cure cancer with our phones

Stats updated. I would sure like to see more people join.

Joined. I've been a longtime WCG member - been off and on over the last few years. But now that I pay for my own electricity and cooling it's something I do off and on now and then. Most people I know are getting laptops vs big gaming desktops and are unwilling to run WCG anymore. Well, I still have my big gaming rig so figured I'd pump a few points in.

I've run Boinc on my Note 3 for awhile but it just gets a little too hot for my comfort - too bad you can't run the Note 3 without a battery (plugged in!) - also my desktop/laptop can churn quite a bit more results.

Upvote 0
Joined. I've been a longtime WCG member - been off and on over the last few years. But now that I pay for my own electricity and cooling it's something I do off and on now and then. Most people I know are getting laptops vs big gaming desktops and are unwilling to run WCG anymore. Well, I still have my big gaming rig so figured I'd pump a few points in.

I've run Boinc on my Note 3 for awhile but it just gets a little too hot for my comfort - too bad you can't run the Note 3 without a battery (plugged in!) - also my desktop/laptop can churn quite a bit more results.
You can change the settings to stop running boinc when it reaches a certain temperature. Default is 40 c, however I change it to 35 c. If it's getting too hot you may want to change the settings.

Upvote 0
It's about time someone noticed that! :rofl:

Thanks for starting this thread, at last, I've found something useful to do with my tablet... :D
My two Nexus tablets which are rarely used anymore (the screens and sensors on those things aren't good at all) are being used for boinc. Just to contribute something. It's a good cause for a device that is no longer being used.

My phone also while I'm sleeping. Wouldn't it be cool if these apps were built into the core operating system for every phone? IPhone, Android Windows doesn't matter. If all 2 billion smartphones in the world could do something like this all at once that's great.

Too bad Google or any other company would ever do anything like that ever.

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
I was a long time SETI@home participant on my workstation. I thought it was a great idea ... unique ... awesome. Then it turned into a BOINC and SETI isn't even supported under BOINC/Android.

It is not blatantly obvious to people what it is all about and the diversification that came in with BOINC makes it even more obscure. You can now argue the merits of one BOINC endeavor over another.

Since my (the original) project was not supported I've never used BOINC on Android.

... Thom

seti@home is now supported on BOINC on android!

Upvote 0
I think that BOINC should be an opt in feature for Every new Android device that comes out. It should be built into the core of Android. What if every Android user (About a billion people) did a very small thing with their phone that could help millions of other people.

But something that big will never happen with something like Android.

Upvote 0
Recently I noticed my phone & tablet didn't seem to be "participating" any more, so I went into my settings on the website & changed a couple things around, now those 2 are working again.

BUT... since getting these 2 devices to help out again, I noticed my phone battery is definitely taking a big hit when it shouldn't be, I'm not positive it's this app but it seems like it might be. As far as I can tell, I have it set to only use my phone when on wifi AND plugged in (which would pretty much be just when I have it charging at home overnight). I don't care if my tablet churns away 24/7 since I rarely use it for anything & just leave it plugged in all the time, but my phone is a different story.

The settings from the website seem more geared toward PC but I've definitely got the in-app settings to only work when on wifi and when plugged in. I can't figure out where I went wrong... any ideas?

I also just have the default profile on the website, but maybe I need to set a separate profile for my phone so it will definitely only connect overnight.

**Edit: I just created a "home" profile that should only connect during my overnight/plugged in hours - but both my phone & tablet show up in my device list as "android". Is there some way I can differentiate my android devices other than trial & error?

Upvote 0
Recently I noticed my phone & tablet didn't seem to be "participating" any more, so I went into my settings on the website & changed a couple things around, now those 2 are working again.

BUT... since getting these 2 devices to help out again, I noticed my phone battery is definitely taking a big hit when it shouldn't be, I'm not positive it's this app but it seems like it might be. As far as I can tell, I have it set to only use my phone when on wifi AND plugged in (which would pretty much be just when I have it charging at home overnight). I don't care if my tablet churns away 24/7 since I rarely use it for anything & just leave it plugged in all the time, but my phone is a different story.

The settings from the website seem more geared toward PC but I've definitely got the in-app settings to only work when on wifi and when plugged in. I can't figure out where I went wrong... any ideas?

I also just have the default profile on the website, but maybe I need to set a separate profile for my phone so it will definitely only connect overnight.

**Edit: I just created a "home" profile that should only connect during my overnight/plugged in hours - but both my phone & tablet show up in my device list as "android". Is there some way I can differentiate my android devices other than trial & error?
I don't think there is a way to tell which one is which. I have 4 android devices running boinc but have no idea which one is which. Except for the lowest one is my note, because I use it the least with boinc and my Nexus 7 is the highest because it's plugged in all day every day. My phone and other Nexus are different stories.

If you think that your battery is taking a hit, change the settings to only use 50% of your CPU. Generally I have all my devices set to 100% however with my note being used for about 2 years and the battery is dying out it can't take both a charge and use 100%cpu at the same time. That's what I found out to work with my note.

And thanks for joining the team.. Are sure to represent us on the official world community grid team. Link in original post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones