lets get multitouch on droid

Last Updated:

1. t83

t83 New Member This Topic's Starter

Milestone has been launched. I'm not a programmer but I'm sure there's a. Way to get multi touch web browsing and maps on the droid ala milestone.

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Agreed. At least for the keyboard.

3. eMximeR

eMximeR Member

There's multi-touch on apps such as Picsay and in Hi AIM. The compatibility is there, it's just a matter of getting past the Apple patent. I'm sure that this is something that will eventually come about

4. bhm229

bhm229 Member

Android 2.0 fully supports it, Apple just has a patent on the pinch zoom thing. Google would rather not get sued and decided not to implement it themselves and leave it to the public.

So the theory goes

5. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't believe that one. Palm Pre has it and Apple hasn't gone after them. I think it's some secret handshake between Apple and Google. :D

6. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

LOL even the Zune HD from microsoft has it

7. Darth_Penguin

Darth_Penguin Well-Known Member

Apple is breaching about 10 of palms patents so I dont think there is much incentive for apple to go after palm (or so the internet claims). This is why the pre has it.

8. Moose

Moose Active Member

Yeah it all has to do with leverage in the patent game, there are overlapping patents and such. Yes I have heard Palm claims to have the rights via its own patents, and that Apple may be pushing the limits on some of Palms patents, so they complain but won't sue. Google doesn't have the collection of patents that Palm does when it comes to handhelds, why Motorola didn't just go and license the tech from Palm I am not sure.

Apple is the worst at Patent violation and want to enforce their own! Heck they don't want to pay licensing on the GSM patents! Thats a head shaker right there.

9. t83

its android, its open source. what im saying is the milestone in europe (lets call is EURO Droid) has the software suporting multitouch imbeded into the OS. Im sure theres a way to "hack" US Droids with this software and enable multi touch. although if a new dolphin and better keyboard came out with multitouch i would be set.

10. t83

by this i meant, that things like the browser and google maps have multitouch bult in. I know the droid can hangle multitouch but id like to see it natively available in google maps, browser and the keyboard.

11. AzJazz

AzJazz Well-Known Member

Open source - Sort of. The nuts 'n bolts of the Droid is still inaccessible to us until somebody figures out a way to root the Droid. Until then, multi-touch is unlikely to appear on the US phones.

12. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

regarding that whole patent argument... why does the Eris have pinch and zoom? HTC is in the patent-grabbing business and has leverage?

13. JonKyu

JonKyu Well-Known Member

I hope they can get it on the Droid somehow, its one of the main reasons I can't type as fast with the soft keyboard.

14. bthoward

bthoward Well-Known Member

I personally hate pinch sooming. I'd rather see a tap icon and then a slider to select zoom level... Pinch zooming is quite difficult to do with one hand and a slider bar can make for a very nice quick way to select zoom level with only one hand.

As far as the keyboard it already supports multitouch. I use it all the time.