Lets Get Root

1. ok. new phone. lets get root. is this gonna be the same exploit as the s2 or what? we need ta get some cwm up in here.

Advertisement
  2. pavy415

pavy415 Member

Has anyone tried all the universal one click root methods?
  3. not tried anything yet...just playing with it first. it is gingerbread so it might work!?!?..
  4. eumoria

eumoria Member

I went ahead and attempted to root using the 2.3.6 One-Click root method that's being used on the 3g first edition Admire.

I installed the Samsung Admire 4G drivers available from Samsung's support website and the root script seemed moderately happy with it and attempted the root but:

It does not work I'm sorry to say. It doesn't damage anything nor brick the phone pretty much doesn't do anything at all besides install Superuser.apk. You do not get root privileges.

This would lead me to believe that a modification to that script would possibly be the solution but I suppose we'll have to wait until someone with the talent can make those changes.

:(
  5. Killah1994

Killah1994 Well-Known Member

You can try the attain root method for 2.3.6 and see if that works... if it doesn't you can try the s2 method. Hopefully it works... wish I could try this but my wife wont let me touch it...:(
  6. was superuser installed as a system app? or no?
  7. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

please, please, DO NOT DO THIS.
    Cogra147 and pressy4pie like this.
  8. Killah1994

Killah1994 Well-Known Member

Thanks shabby you saved me their ... lol temptation nearly made me try it on my wife's phone .
  9. genovdot

genovdot Well-Known Member

That would've screwed something up bad. Lol. Ask pg about his root he has for the original 2.3.6 admire. May actually work.
  10. Shabbypenguin

the one where you flash CWM and root by installing a zip? i would highly suggest against flashing the admire's cwm despite the fact they share a name these phones are nothing alike...
    spanky0323 likes this.
  11. Cogra147

Cogra147 Well-Known Member Contributor

What about a update.zip? Or couldn't we just push root with adb?
  12. Shabbypenguin

update.zip's have to be signed, they have had that requirement for a bit

and no you cant push it as system is read only :/
  13. You got any ideas Shabby? Do you have this phone or just deving on it?
  14. Shabbypenguin

ive got a few ideas. i dont own teh device and i have no plans on devving for it, just dont want people breaking their devices over stuff i know wont work. if everyone wanted to run superoneclick or a zillion other scripts thats fine but using odin to flash, if it goes south youve got no restore to fix it.
  15. pavy415

pavy415 Member

I tried super one click, moto fail, unlock one click root, gingerbreak, z4, and it all fails does not do anything not even install super user.
  16. Cogra147

Cogra147 Well-Known Member Contributor

OK...well I've heard of a no root boot animation changer so in theory we could modify it to unpack su into the system folder right? :confused:
  17. Shabbypenguin

right and your phone is still fine, they are just simple exploits and wont cause any damage
  18. so if we decompile a no root boot animation changer apk and swap the boot animation with the super user apk and edit the extract script with the location of system/app instead of system/media or etc or whereever its trying to extract the bootani to then it should work?
  19. Shabbypenguin

that wont work at all. i was quoting a different post. without root you cant write to system, without the su binary being on system you cant have root that stays.
  20. pavy415

pavy415 Member

I forgot to add casual. But yes my phone is just fine no damage at all thank God lol
  21. eumoria

eumoria Member

Yes, using the One-Click Samsung Admire Root (first gen) the Superuser.apk installed but that's easy for the script to do. Superuser did not have root access so it didn't matter.
  22. mochakingman

mochakingman Member

has anyone tried gingerbreak??? might be a long shot but it might work...
  23. brooklyn227

brooklyn227 Well-Known Member

I tried all the gingerbreak, z4root and a few other APK's with NO luck.
  24. mochakingman

mochakingman Member

has anyone managed to get atleast a temp root??
  25. Shabbypenguin

temp root is full root