Lets get to the real Over clocking!!

Last Updated:

1. chaos67731

chaos67731 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have seen where some people on the droid have got there phone up to 1gz!!

What about us Hero users?

What can we do to get more bang out of our phones?

Advertisement
  2. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

The guys over at XDA are currently working on this. Not sure what they have come up with yet though.

3. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

Grab your solder iron and get to it.

From what I have read this phone cannot be over clocked with software.

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

not yet anyways... it all has to do with the kernel.. once they get that taken care of, overclocking will be possible..

That said, I don't really suggest overclocking your phone.. it's not the same as OC'ing a PC.. you can't add extra cooling and/or power to make it stable..all you'll end up doing is shortening the life of the phone...

Covert_Death likes this.
  5. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

^%100 agree to this statement^

i think too many people compare their smartphones to their computers ,when is spectrum a smartphone is still MUCH closer to a dumbphone then a comuter...

PC's have breathing room, heatsink+HUGE fans, powersupply units, BIGGER CHIPS... all these things make it possible to OC a computer, a smartphone has none of these, it has a very compact chip all alone screaming like mad to do what you tell it to, if you tell it to do more... you can't exactly cool it down or anything like you can a PC CPU...

i believe such drastic numbers are reached on the droid because the chip was originaly Under clocked for battery life in mind... thus, initial overclocking was really just getting it back to standard

and i believe you all should know how chips are made, they make the chips to run at a GENERAL range, then start to test a few sample ones and see where the average craps out at, take that, lower the number a tad to get it into a stable environment and then THAT is your running clock speed. some chips go a LITTTTLE over what it comes with while others will go significantly further... you have to get to know your chip and SLOWLY bring it up there and let it run for DAYS doing nothing on a PC to make sure you won't kill it. there is no set standard for each chip at what it can be OC'd too. i saw one droid at 1.5Ghz, i GUARANTEE not many other chips out there in a droid would handle that for more than a milisecond before frying to death

just be careful

6. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Alot of us Droid users OC at around 1.2ghz to 1.25ghz. But to be safe and get most out of your battery 800mhz is more then enough for the average user trust me on that. They are right in saying with power comes umm well scary problems. One thing is we all must have a temp monitor app running because of the heat the phone produces at that speed can damage it. Also OC can cause problems with wifi and other apps at 1ghz or higher. I personally am running the stock kernel to maximize my battery and this thing flies to begin with so meh.

7. Robchaos

Robchaos Well-Known Member

doesn't the Sprint hero has the msm7600 which is 65 nm 528ghz chip. Compared to the gsm version which has the 7201 90 nm chip. Shouldn't that mean ours will run cooler with comparable processor loads? I don't see why a modest overclock would be a problem even for daily use. Say somewhere in the 600s. just enough to add a little extra snap. If i understand correctly, the problem is the CPU clock kernel is closed source and under lock and key by HTC. The guys over at XDA are going by trial and error trying to crack it.

8. MagnusRagnarok

MagnusRagnarok Member

.....FYI, TOAST over @ xda is working on a 1ghz+ rom+kernel which allows for those speeds,but still uses the 528 voltage and less than a 2 degree boost in temp........fellow heros, our day is coming.......htc hero 2nd to dbl their clock speed......seems to be the most popular phones get the coolest mods...soooooooooo glad i bought this phone:)....a2.1? who cares that will be a downgrade for my phone @ this point in time..double the clock speed???.....i cant wait....

9. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

Overclocking shortens the life of the chip. The question becomes, is it worth the shorter lifespan for the minimal performance gain? It is highly unlikely you will really be able to notice the difference of 10-20ms....however, to each his own..........

10. chaos67731

chaos67731 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would say if you see OC and you think of a cpu and not a tv show then you know a thing or two and know there can be problems. (heat / battery life / shorten life of phone ).

So with that said, I just cant wait to see what can be done. :)

11. showbo

showbo Well-Known Member

I have a question to pose for everyone who is interested in overclocking their Phone.

On average, what is an estimated percent of people who ACTUALLY benifit from overclocking their phone? Less than 1%?

Oscar

12. mysticmead

truthfully?? everyone that OC's will benefit from it.. but they'll run a greater risk of the phone letting the magic smoke out.. of course.. when you OC, that's the risk you take..

now.. looking in the share your screen thread... there's a guy that had a screen shot showing his CPU set for 951 using overclock widget.. that's just plain impressive

13. Konikub

Konikub Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that 951 OC in another thread as well.....did you ever get an answer on how that was done??

14. mysticmead

nope... but his equipment is listing a Gumbo-OC kernel... so it might be a custom kernel he's running... I'd still like to know how his battery life is as well as heat..