Let's Hope This is NOT True

Last Updated:

1. Jrid32

Jrid32 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

You cannot be serious. It has Droid X as having 256 of RAM, come on dude don't post stuff like this to confuse people
    Edit: Froyo part is probably true.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  3. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

ok this is already being discussed and look at the X it says 256 when it has 512 so dont get your panties in a bunch

4. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

It never fails as soon as something hits the internet it immediately is taken for the truth. Maybe this is why verizon kept it under wraps for so long i mean a mass hysteria may break out soon because of this lol

5. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

I am more worried about what appears more and more to be a baked-in Bing search. I want Google to be the default (including the Search button), and it is less than clear if a non-rooted Fascinate is capable of that. I won't point out the document specifics that reference this, because these docs are obviously not completely accurate, so who knows. But there is some troublesome verbiage in there regarding Bing search. To think that a Google Android phone cannot have the default search, etc set to Google is pretty unfortunate if true...

6. Jrid32

Jrid32 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Please read my post... I said "HOPE" this is not true. Never mentioned that it was "firm" info.

7. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

You can always download the Google widget. I mean personally i rarely ever use the search but for people who do Bing isn't all that bad. I know people have their preference but if its that much of a nuisance you can always root and remove it

8. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

I don't want to root it , thank you. And I don't need Bing removed all that badly either. I only want Google as the default search, default Navigation, allowing me to use the tools Android phones are known for , such as holding the Search button and giving voice commands to Search Google, or Navigate, etc. We don't know yet whether this can happen on a non-rooted Fascinate, but if it can't be done, it's somewhat aggravating to me, and ironic for a Android phone.

9. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Ok then dont root it its not that big of a deal really. If that is so awful for you dont get this phone wait for one with default google search and default google navigation

10. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

Just ... wow.:rolleyes:

11. AaronRodgersFTW

AaronRodgersFTW Active Member

Am I the only one that prefers Bing search? I'm all for not having all of my searches documented and bing is on par with searches and depth as far as Ive seen. I'm all about android, don't get me wrong, but I have zero problems with bing. I have a BB right now until I can switch to an android phone and the bing app I have for it is pretty sweet.

12. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

yes you are alone.

13. avhokie

avhokie Well-Known Member

Wow? You don't like the factory settings. A solution is presented to you and you don't like that either. Sounds like you're not going to be happy in any case.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  14. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I habe no problem with bing to be honest

15. bxojr

bxojr Well-Known Member

As for the RAM thing, I'm not buying the various figures that have been floating around (336 MB, 384 MB). As far as I know, RAM pretty much always comes in power-of-two quantities (e.g. 256, 512, 1024). You'd probably have to have some kind of weird memory chip custom made to have such an oddball capacity.

It seems much more likely that that figure has something to do with *available* RAM, given that some is presumably in use by the OS and preloaded software.

16. burn1010

burn1010 Well-Known Member

Not really...there overseas galaxy a has 384mb of RAM---as does the htc legend. let's hope it was just some intern who drew up those training docs and screwed up the specs.

17. hoodtrix

hoodtrix Well-Known Member

heres what it has
    512mb flash
    384mhm ram
    2gb internal memory

18. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

I really don't think that is right. All the other Galaxy S phones have 512MB of RAM. They all have essentially identical innards. It would make no sense whatsoever for the Fascinate, which is the last of the phones to come out, to have the least amount. It would be ridiculous lol.

19. hoodtrix

hoodtrix Well-Known Member

the info was taking straight from the equipment guide, VZW just added it today, call CS and confirm your self.

20. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member

21. TheAlmightyDrew

22. burn1010

burn1010 Well-Known Member

That's absolute BS if true...bad enough they ruin the google experience w all the bing and bloatware, but the lower memory is just unacceptable.

Seems like the 9/8 date is to order online or by phone. 9/9 in stores. If they offer free overnight, one doesn't have to wait on line on 9/9.

23. TheAlmightyDrew

Like I said earlier, it just doesn't make any sense for only this one to have less RAM and be the last one to come out. I have a feeling that Verizon is referring to usable ram at this point -- like the amount of RAM that is actually usable for apps.

I have no idea. I have done a little bit of research on the other Galaxy S phones and many people have been saying that when they run Task Manager on their Galaxy S phones, it only says 326MB of RAM. Touchwiz may just be reserving the rest of the RAM for the system. Also, Android 2.1 doesn't allow 512 of RAM. You have to wait until Froyo comes out to get the full 512MB of RAM.

When I run Advanced Task Killer on my Droid X, and I kill all apps, it tells me I have 195MB of memory left.

Also take a look at this thread

24. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member

Hmm. That thread doesn't really provide any answers. I don't think it's smart to purchase this phone at launch.

25. TheAlmightyDrew

Yea, I am starting to think I should wait for reviews before picking this phone up -- just to see how good camera quality, call quality, speed and GPS are.