Lets make a deal...

Last Updated:

1. tokyoglow

tokyoglow Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, in an attempt to hold out and wait till all bugs and instabilities would not affect the performance of the basic functions of the phone (email, phone, sms) I have made a deal with myself to hold out until friday of this week. What I'm asking:

What are the pros and cons of rooting a phone with a rom based on the 2.1 leak? Are there any flaws in the build where it will interfere with daily usage (calling, sms, etc.)?

I know if I hold out too long the root privileges on the 0.2 ROM may expire or the ROM may become completely useless. But I have a stable phone right now on 1.5 with minor bugs in some apps (i.e. youtube) and so far 2 crashes in a one month period. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, dont fix it," but I have jailbroken iPods and am completely capable of rooting (hacked my old, narcoleptic powerbook G4). However, I am quite reluctant about hacking something that is pretty much vital to my everyday life.

I've set up my computer so its capable of rooting my eris, so my trigger finger is pretty much itching right now.

Advertisement
  2. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Root...... the only major bug is having to log in to google everyone you reboot...we now have custom boot animations and other things coming like different roms.

3. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

You do have to be a bit careful with the 03 rom. Not to scare ya away from rooting, My camera wouldn't work and even the phone calling after I removed some apps. Just rebooted and it works fine.

There is a certain learning curv that comes with whole process. Such as the wifi tethering who'd a thunk to have the 3g turned on. :) Also the process itself and reentering the commands took me about 5 hours to do.

In my defense I haven't used a command prompt since windows 3.1 though =D and I was like 10yrs old.

4. irod87

irod87 Banned

I havent had any regrets since rooting, and I assume I will only get happier as more advancements come around with root.

5. sierrarot328i

sierrarot328i Active Member

.03 is great so far. camera works, gps works, feels faster than 1.5 even with loads of apps.

now just wish google earth would work and bug free live wallpapers.

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

There is a way that you can "scratch your itch"... and yet still continue to run 1.5.

See this thread on XDA posted by "toastcfh".

Follow those instructions, and you will have: (1) a S-OFF bootloader (same one as used in the 2.1_root PB00IMG.ZIP file), (2) a nice Recovery toolset which will allow you to make backups/restores of your phone, and (3) an unmolested install of your current Cupcake 1.5 installation, with all data and customizations intact.

How does that sound? Sort of like "advanced fence-sitting"? :)

eu1

7. tokyoglow

tokyoglow Active Member This Topic's Starter

So everyone,

I've decided to take the plunge and am currently rooting my phone to the latest rom

Thanks for all of your input

I'll see you guys on the other side