• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's not forget Froyo 2.2

shadrap

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2009
Guys I know we are all excited about the Evo. I know it will be a great phone with it's current 2.1, but I also know that Sprint sucks at updating phones. 2.2 will take this phone into hyper drive, it has showed to be 450 % faster. This is a major update and one that I want for every Evo owner. We need to make sure we stay on top of Sprint and we receive this update. I for one think the phone should have launched with 2.2 considering Google will be announcing it on the 19th of May.

As of now, it is rumored the Evo will be the second phone to receive 2.2 behind the Nexus 1. But we should make sure Sprint walks the line.

I believe Sprint commited to bringing Froyo to the Evo within 6 weeks of release. That said, I think Sprint will update this to Froyo right away because Froyo's a direct way to take the wind out of iPhone OS 4.0 features just as that phone's released. I also think getting Froyo on Evo was so anticipated, that Sprint wants it there. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get Froyo on Evo prior to release but just didn't have the right timing. Yup, timing. I think they had time to include Froyo, but I don't think Google wanted Froyo released outside a Google event. Though N1 isn't widely sold, Google will be able to OTA very soon. I've wondered whether the functionality for Froyo is already in Evo (thus you can turn Sense on/off) and is simply awaiting Froyo and future updates.

Upvote 0
450% increase in performance is not exactly how it will work read this quote from the original story

Some of you (like Cyanogen and Uhhhh) pointed out that JIT compilation only helps programs that are not compiled to native code, which Flash and some video codecs/drivers seem to be. Thank you for this clarification.
While real-life improvements will most certainly not be 450% across the board, we still expect the N1 and even Flash to benefit from JIT because, as other programs become more efficient, more CPU will be available to such natively compiled programs.

Upvote 0
i'm not optimistic that we'll get the froyo update quickly to be perfectly honest... but hopefully we'll hear at google i/o a time frame to expect the update. it would be awesome if they announced we could get it right away but i'm not getting my hopes up.

There's always hope, even if it gets crushed. That said, I'm pretty sure Google said Evo would be 2nd in line after N1. I think this will come out by July because there are a bunch of fall release phones that should have Froyo before release. With N1 not being widely owned, Google will have to have phones like Evo and Incredible to demonstrate/intro the updates going forward.

I read a lot of rumors that Evo would have been released with Froyo had the release date not been bumped up to early June and that some of the test units out there had Froyo already. These were just rumors so I never saw any proof. But I do believe Froyo's been on test Evos and just wasn't ready for release. I don't think Google wanted to spend this week's IO conference fielding a bunch of questions around when's Froyo for Evo coming.

Upvote 0
sprint hasnt even even pushed out the 2.1 update for the hero. They are taking their sweet time about it, which is why i rooted and got a custom running 2.1. If sprint keeps with their normal trend we wont be seeing this update til sometime this winter unfortunately. I hope not tho, kuz that would suck

Upvote 0
I could swear that I read on here that Sprint announced a July release date for Froyo on the EVO. Did I dream that?

Yes, you dreamt it :)

I wouldn't expect FroYo to have a widescale release until around the beginning of July, and not on the Evo by August/September at the earliest. I anticipate that new versions of Android would break HTC Sense, so HTC needs to get their end figured out, then Sprint needs to do the same. So FroYo really needs to pass from Google to HTC to Sprint to Us. It's not just Google to Us. Although for some it will be :)

Upvote 0
I agree. The first few (thousand) EVOs' sold will not have the 2.2 OS, thereafter they will. Isn't the Google conference this week. Thats 2 weeks before the ship date of the EVO. It would be sweet that the minute you get the phone, activate it, that it asks you that an update is available and starts downloading it.

TS

That would be a dream come true.

Upvote 0
I have not read where either HTC nor Sprint has guaranteed EVO the 2.2 upgrade ever.
We will have bugs and issues somewhere with the 2.1 on the EVO just like the Moment and Hero both had. It will take sprint a long time just to get the regular bug updates out before we can look for 2.2. I am trying to be optimistic that it wont take as long as the hero update to 2.1 but i have not seen anything from HTC or sprint saying this update is easier and will take less time or be a higher priority.

Hopefully we dont need it any time soon.

Upvote 0
I could swear that I read on here that Sprint announced a July release date for Froyo on the EVO. Did I dream that?

No you didn't dream it. I remember reading that in another Froyo 2.2 thread regarding the EVO as well, however, nobody knows for certain so I wouldn't take any credibility to that statement for a July release.

The one thing you did dream though is Sprint announcing it. There are no sources with this info, it was just apart of the EVDOinfo article about Froyo 2.2

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3224/64/

Today at the Google IO keynote, Google announced the new features that Android 2.2 code named "Froyo" will introduce. Android 2.2 will be available via update for the super popular Sprint HTC EVO 4G phone this July!

and Quoting HTC:
[...] if your phone was launched this year, we will most likely offer an upgrade for it to the Froyo version. This includes popular models like the Desire and Droid Incredible as well as hotly anticipated phones like the Evo 4G, MyTouch slide and upcoming models. We will announce a full list of phones and dates once we are closer to launching the upgrades. We are working closely with Google and our other partners to ensure we have the earliest access to everything we need to provide a complete and solid Sense experience on Froyo. We expect to release all updates in the second half of this year but can't be more specific yet.

Upvote 0
the only thing I won't like about the update is going through the process of reinstalling apps, customizing the phone, etc. Like many, I am going to do a lot with the phone once I get it and I am not looking forward to redoing it.
Bleh. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I've been using a jailbroken iPhone for 3 years now. It sucks losing all of my cool apps everytime a new version comes out. The only time it's really been worth the upgrade was when iPhone OS 3.0 came out, and I finally got the copy/paste feature.

Upvote 0
Bleh. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I've been using a jailbroken iPhone for 3 years now. It sucks losing all of my cool apps everytime a new version comes out. The only time it's really been worth the upgrade was when iPhone OS 3.0 came out, and I finally got the copy/paste feature.

I totally agree and am coming from the same jailbroken-iPhone-for-three-years experience. This is a little disappointing, and I'm surprised that no one has remedied it yet like Rock has for jailbroken apps.

Upvote 0
the only thing I won't like about the update is going through the process of reinstalling apps, customizing the phone, etc. Like many, I am going to do a lot with the phone once I get it and I am not looking forward to redoing it.

So if you have purchased apps, will you need to pay a second time when you upgrade, or is there a record of your purchase??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones