Let's talk about T-Mobile's 4G

Last Updated:

1. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was reading this...

T-Mobile to launch nationwide “4G” in 2010? – Android and Me

Is it pretty accurate? Since we're in 2010 now, does that mean we're looking at a release soon? I haven't seen anything on this since that post.

Anyone know anything cool? Also, when they mention Q1, Q2, etc... are they referring to fiscal year? Or just calendar year?

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

They are referring to fiscal year and there are no plans for 4G on T-mobile... just HSPA+ (which is still 3G and they call it that).

3. spiz

I gotcha... didn't see the little part at the bottom that mentions that. According to that website, it looks like it'll be a lot faster, correct? Any idea if they'll use the existing 3G towers?

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be much faster and will just be a software update to the newly rolled out 3G system they have.

5. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member

So, other than the test market in Philly, they haven't turned it on yet, if I understand this accurately. This means the previous threads on speed tests with the N1 don't currently reflect the USA coverage as it could be, yet the reported speeds aren't bad at all.

6. spiz

Yep. I'm excited for the new speeds. Apparently there's a new tower in my city that is going to be flipped on very soon. Just waiting on the FCC... gotta love it!

7. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Philly is not the only area....DC, New York, and a few others have higher speeds, though it may not be available "area wide" for the whole city.

[​IMG]

I was able to get almost 2Mb "up" just outside "downtown" DC.

T-Mobile USA Upgraded to HSPA 7.2Mbps – Blazing Fast on Nokia N900

[​IMG]

8. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the TM backbone has been upgraded to handle HSPA+ but not to all the towers. The towers should be complete by EOY, whether that's calendar year or fiscal I don't know.

Now the interesting thing is while HPSA+ is considered a 3G standard, TM is implementing one of the faster tiers that will exceed their competitors' 4G networks.

9. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

That's probably why there isn't any marketing about it...they're behind, yet ahead, so it will be hard to come up with a decent campaign. They're probably trying to invent some new terminology.