• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk cases for the HTC EVO 3D.

I've always used Boxwave Screen protectors. I don't like Invisible shield 1. because of the grippy feeling and 2. I am scared shitless of using even a small amount of water to apply it. The boxwave was slick and clear. Most people didn't know I even had a screen protector on. The corners never peeled. I've used these since my HTC Mogul then the Touch Pro, Hero and the Evo. Never had a problem. Now I'm waiting for them to release one for the Evo3D.

I really want that HTC case with the kick stand but for $30 I don't know if it's worth it.

Upvote 0
What deal are you speaking of? I believe I bought one from Newegg.com for 70 dollars.

Oops, never mind. I just figured you did because there was a deal on Amazon Gold Box today for a 32 GB class 4 for something like $45? I missed it, so didn't pay much attention.

Anyway, anyone have any idea if the Clairvues cover the whole face, or just screen? I would assume it's the same way as the Evo was (if anyone used one for that).

Upvote 0
Any idea if these cover just the screen area, or the whole face (buttons and all type of thing)? Also, anyone tried these or the Steinheil crystal? Any comparisons?

I'm not sure because I have not used them before.

I currently have a Case-Mate screen protector on my EVO 4G that I love. It covers the entire face including the buttons. It was simple to install, no bubbles, very clear, and never once peeled. You don't even know it is there. None of that grippy feel or orange peel look. When Case-mate comes out with a screen protector for the 3D, I'll be getting one.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure because I have not used them before.

I currently have a Case-Mate screen protector on my EVO 4G that I love. It covers the entire face including the buttons. It was simple to install, no bubbles, very clear, and never once peeled. You don't even know it is there. None of that grippy feel or orange peel look. When Case-mate comes out with a screen protector for the 3D, I'll be getting one.

So is the Case-Mate screen protector you refer to for the 4G pre-cut specifically for the device? Do these apply with basically static and thus no adhesive/liquid? I'd be interested in trying these for the 3D when they come out as well.

With my TP2, I really like the pre-cut stock screen protector that came with the device, it applied with static (no adhesive), didn't give an orange peel look, is very clear, and the protector is stiff and your finger glides easily when interacting with the touch screen, with no "rubbery" feel.

So basically I'd like a similar product that is for the Evo3D.

Reactions: Jackietreehorn
Upvote 0
So is the Case-Mate screen protector you refer to for the 4G pre-cut specifically for the device? Do these apply with basically static and thus no adhesive/liquid? I'd be interested in trying these for the 3D when they come out as well.

With my TP2, I really like the pre-cut stock screen protector that came with the device, it applied with static (no adhesive), didn't give an orange peel look, is very clear, and the protector is stiff and your finger glides easily when interacting with the touch screen, with no "rubbery" feel.

A thousand times this. The original protector that came with my Touch Pro was perfect, not rubbery, nothing, just worked the way I want. That's what I'm looking for again.

I ordered the ones from the xda link earlier, 2 for 11 and change shipped. Hopefully they'll fit the bill, and from that XDA thread, it's said that they cover the entire face, not just screen (I vastly prefer covering the entire face).

Reactions: bobby2478
Upvote 0
The original protector that came with my Touch Pro was perfect, not rubbery, nothing, just worked the way I want. That's what I'm looking for again.

I agree 100%. Once my Touch Pro screen protector wore out, I just stopped using them for a while. Trying to use the stylus on the rubber protectors was terrible, and sliding my fingers on it just wasn't happening. Eventually I broke down and got Ghost Armor because I knew the pressure sensitive screen absolutely required a screen protector. It was pretty much the same as the one included, and they have a lifetime guarantee! :)

Anyway, I won't use cases, clips, belt holsters, etc on my Evo 4G. I hate adding extra weight/volume, and I've never needed a screen protector. The screen seems pretty much impossible to scratch. I've dropped it multiple times and done more damage to the ground than to my phone :p Just doing common sense things to keep it safe (like putting it in my pocket without keys or change), I know it will last until I want a new phone. Now the camera.... they apparently decided they didn't care about that getting scratched. Mine looks terrible :-( I really hope the material used for the camera covering on the 3D is more scratch resistant.

Upvote 0

Yes the case-mate screen protector was custom cut for the EVO 4G. I'm guessing it uses static but I'm not 100% sure on that. The install is just peeling a backing sheet off of the protector and applying that side on the screen. Then use the included card to work out any air bubbles.

Case-mate is not the only vendor that makes a protector like this. There are a bunch. I would stay away from the ones that feel rubbery, leave a orange peel look, and require you to apply an adhesive/liquid to install. I used those on my old Blackberry devices, but there was no need for me to touch the screen so it didn't matter. But eventually they peeled. Something I want to avoid going forward.

EDIT: Just looked at what Case Mate has for the EVO 4G just now and see they have a "Clear Armor" protector that requires a solution. Not sure what happened to the 3-pack of protectors I bought from them in December. Hopefully they bring these back for the EVO 3D. I will not apply any solution to the phone.

Upvote 0
maybe all my friends are just stone age and don't want to invest any money into keeping their stuff nice. :lol

oh well, is it worth the money to get? I know the screen protectors they gave me for my current phone were garbage and hardly stuck to the screen.

i just don't wanna blow 10 bucks on something that isn't worth my money.

Upvote 0
They are a pretty popular brand actually

Wildly over popular in my opinion. See farther up (Posts #14-24) in this thread for the scoop on Zagg's Invisishield. They go by both names so you may have read about them already and not known it (Speilmen). You can tell from what these other guys have said that the cons pretty much outweigh the pros when it comes to their product. But that doesn't stop Best Buy and other retailers from being heavy sellers of them, and the general public blindly buys them since there are few other in store choices. If I was a person looking for a clear body shield I might consider them, but I would not put their product on my screen.

And phone retailers (Sprint, AT&T,Verizon, T-mobile) usually only offer their branded screen protectors which are usually pretty poorly made with their name slapped on them to make them seem like a good choice or are the only choice in their stores.

Upvote 0
maybe all my friends are just stone age and don't want to invest any money into keeping their stuff nice. :lol

oh well, is it worth the money to get? I know the screen protectors they gave me for my current phone were garbage and hardly stuck to the screen.

i just don't wanna blow 10 bucks on something that isn't worth my money.

Its all about personal preference. I don't usually use any type of screen protection, I just don't like the feel of it when running my fingers across the screen. Not only that but to me it takes away the attractiveness from the screen itself. With older resistive screens I could understand using one since those screens where a lot easier to scratch but with these newer capacitive glass screens I just don't see the need that much and unless you are insanely rough on your phone then you probably wont ever need one. My current situation is this, I bought my evo 4g the morning of 6/04/10 and I have literally use the hell out of the phone for the last year, dropped it several times and you would never know since my phones looks exactly the same as when I first took it out the box.

EDIT: I do have tpu case over it though which is something I would recommend.

Upvote 0
First android phone for me. I'm going with white Nillkin based on this review for Galaxy S II.

****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II ACCESSORIES Thread*** - Page 2 - Overclockers UK Forums

Discount Nillkin Ultra Slim Hard Shield Faceplate for Htc Evo3d [nn013 Evo3d case skin]- US$9.99 - OBOstore.com

I also got the clear protector from the same store.

I usually get Invisible Shield but it always end up looking yellowish couple of months into it so I'll do something different this time.

Coming from a TP2.
Why make it any bigger than it already is? This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I may look into the HTC one with the kickstand. Seems like everyone loved the kickstand on the original Evo.

But if i don't see a need for it, i will just go with a nice silicone case. I think that will be sufficient enough.

I have had my EVO for almost a year and have used the kickstand a handful of times. Not really a deal maker/breaker for me.

For ~$10 I would probably pick up a snap on case that has a kickstand for those times I would want one. But I prefer my EVO naked when I'm using it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones