• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk screen protectors!

If I was not worried about the hardness rating and extra protection from impacts, does the glass protectors still have an advantage over the PET (film) ones?

Does glass slide better? Is it more responsive? Etc...

Great question. Hoping to hear an answer. And would love to hear some personal 1st hand views on the Spigen Ultra Crystal, Ultra Oleophobic, and Ultra Optics. Can really determine which is the right one for me..

Upvote 0
I am using Bodyguardz for my Note 3. It is a tempered glass screen protector and their customer service is beyond incredible. They also are frequently offering discounts for various things. I highly recommend them.

Wow. pricey. $44 price shock. Though I guess its a $700 phone. Which protector did you use. What case are you using, I ordered a Spigen Slim Armour, and would had to spend on a protector that wonder work/fit with the case.

UPDATE: Crickey! watched the youTube video for Bodyguardz. when they get to the Pure, they take the utility knife, nail and hammer to the S3. Mercy, I cringed with ever blow. Guess they work. impressive
http://youtu.be/mlUz1mnunYI

Upvote 0
If I was not worried about the hardness rating and extra protection from impacts, does the glass protectors still have an advantage over the PET (film) ones?

Does glass slide better? Is it more responsive? Etc...

PET films are usually around 3-4H. Tempered glass is around 8-9H.

Tempered glass definitely offers much more better protection than PET films. Harder to scratch tempered glass than PET films.

Great question. Hoping to hear an answer. And would love to hear some personal 1st hand views on the Spigen Ultra Crystal, Ultra Oleophobic, and Ultra Optics. Can really determine which is the right one for me..

I used the Ultra Oleophobic from Spigen on my Note 2. It looks like a naked screen visually (screen is vibrant). Of course because of it, there is expected glare. Also no rainbow effects (that is until you scratch the protector; you'll notice it more). The oleophobic coating is nice, but not as easy to clean. Best way to clean this oleophobic screen is with a microfiber cloth. Otherwise, it'll smear like crazy and not look so nice.

Don't know about that, but there's a lot of complaints about the screen cracking during or slightly after application. Seems consistent with the company not replacing it. Rather offering a small discount on next purchase. Definitely turning me away from their product.

I have used the Glas.t (8H rating) by Spigen (on the original Note) and Vitreo (9H rating) by Seidio (on the Note 2).

I did experience some input issues (S Pen and touch) with the Glas.t on the original Note. It could have been the type of adhesive they used at the time. But it served well as it did protect the screen from my abuse. And even with the 8H rating, I did scratch it (though it was barely noticeable) a few months after applying it. It is exactly like glass and it looks and feels exactly like the naked screen.

The Vitreo is nice and so far I haven't scratched it yet with my constant abuse. It also looks and feels exactly like the naked screen. Also do not have any input issues with this protector. Everything works fine.

I am no longer considering PET films anymore. I would invest more on tempered glass protectors. They work out as a better investment for me in the long run. Considering I can burn through a PET film in a month or 2. Yeah, I really abuse the screen.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that both tempered glass protectors worked with the Otterbox Commuter case.

Reactions: rcaine and KOLIO
Upvote 0
PET films are usually around 3-4H. Tempered glass is around 8-9H.

Tempered glass definitely offers much more better protection than PET films. Harder to scratch tempered glass than PET films.

I used the Ultra Oleophobic from Spigen on my Note 2. It looks like a naked screen visually (screen is vibrant). Of course because of it, there is expected glare. Also no rainbow effects (that is until you scratch the protector; you'll notice it more). The oleophobic coating is nice, but not as easy to clean. Best way to clean this oleophobic screen is with a microfiber cloth. Otherwise, it'll smear like crazy and not look so nice.

Don't know about that, but there's a lot of complaints about the screen cracking during or slightly after application. Seems consistent with the company not replacing it. Rather offering a small discount on next purchase. Definitely turning me away from their product.

I have used the Glas.t (8H rating) by Spigen (on the original Note) and Vitreo (9H rating) by Seidio (on the Note 2).

I did experience some input issues (S Pen and touch) with the Glas.t on the original Note. It could have been the type of adhesive they used at the time. But it served well as it did protect the screen from my abuse. And even with the 8H rating, I did scratch it (though it was barely noticeable) a few months after applying it. It is exactly like glass and it looks and feels exactly like the naked screen.

The Vitreo is nice and so far I haven't scratched it yet with my constant abuse. It also looks and feels exactly like the naked screen. Also do not have any input issues with this protector. Everything works fine.

I am no longer considering PET films anymore. I would invest more on tempered glass protectors. They work out as a better investment for me in the long run. Considering I can burn through a PET film in a month or 2. Yeah, I really abuse the screen.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that both tempered glass protectors worked with the Otterbox Commuter case.

Cool you've try many of the major players. A few posts back was the bodyguardz. From the website seems awfully good. Not seen that name in this group though. For $44 I would hope it darn nice.

In you option what are the top 3 or 4?

Upvote 0
Cool you've try many of the major players. A few posts back was the bodyguardz. From the website seems awfully good. Not seen that name in this group though. For $44 I would hope it darn nice.

In you option what are the top 3 or 4?
My experience with PET films are simply:

Brando Workshop: used them back in the day of Palm and Windows Mobile. Nice protectors, fast shipping, can remove and reuse protector. Able to clean screen with a bit of soap and water. Ultra Clear screen is vibrant. However, texture of screen may be a con for some. It has a 'grippy' feeling on the screen. But not sure how their protectors are now.

Otterbox: No good, scratched it good in a few days of use.

Boxwave: Again, no good as I managed to scratch it up after a few days of use as well.

Tempered Glass Protectors:

Spigen: Great protector. Lasted quite a long time before I gave my Note away. Only problem was some input issues. Also (at the time) glass was not rounded and could be chipped if not careful. But could be fitted into a case like Otterbox Commuter without conflict. Pen glided over it easily without issue.

Seidio: Also a great protector. Still holding strong and no scratches yet. No input issues and will fit most cases since glass does not fully cover the entire screen. Pen glides over it very easily. Too slick for my tastes which is why I switched from a plastic nib to a flex nib. Offers a little bit of grip to give a pen on paper feel.

If I managed to destroy my glass protector (or get a new device), I might give the Brando ones a shot to see how it is. I was not disappointed by their PET films back in the day.

EDIT: forgot to mention Spigen for PET films. They are good and they come with two protectors for the cost. The only thing wrong with them is that you need to have a microfiber cloth to properly clean the screen. Smears are noticeable on the protector. I only used the ultra oleophobic. Not sure about the others.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I ordered the Verizon 3 pack with my Note 3, just so I would have something to put on it when it came in. I usually just use the Verizon screen protectors on my phone. These show greasy fingerprints real easy. Of course, I can just wipe them off and do. I ordered a couple of belt clip cases from Ebay and those each came with screen protectors and I have not tried either of those yet.

I would like to maybe change to another screen protector at some point that doesn't show grease so easy...other than that, these do the job for now. :D

Upvote 0
I haven't seen this asked or answered so here goes.

I have never used a glass screen protector and considering how much this phone cost, I am all about protecting it (as I do with all my electronic toys). I have the Verizon one on for now just to have something but I really want to upgrade to a glass one. I have the Incipio Dual on it right now but am going to get an Otterbox when they come out.

So my question is, does anyone know if a phone with a glass protector will fit in an Otterbox? I want the Defender (overkill, I know, but you should see what my iPod lives in!) or would a Commuter be better?

Upvote 0
I haven't seen this asked or answered so here goes.

I have never used a glass screen protector and considering how much this phone cost, I am all about protecting it (as I do with all my electronic toys). I have the Verizon one on for now just to have something but I really want to upgrade to a glass one. I have the Incipio Dual on it right now but am going to get an Otterbox when they come out.

So my question is, does anyone know if a phone with a glass protector will fit in an Otterbox? I want the Defender (overkill, I know, but you should see what my iPod lives in!) or would a Commuter be better?

Yes, you will be able to use a defender with a glass screen protector. The thickness of my BodyGuardz Pure glass screen protector matched the ear speaker on the top of the phone. They're very thin.

Reactions: taghag
Upvote 0
I bought a Zagg screen protector for this thing, but I loathe it. The thing is impossible to apply without getting air bubbles everywhere. I am looking for one that is easy to put on and off without issues. I had one like this for my old Iphone that worked really well. I forgot what type it was though. It wasn't like the other screen protectors. It was rigid and easy to take on and off.

Oh yeah one other thing: In the note 3 manual it says not to use a screen protector on page 9. They claim it can interfere with the sensor. Is this true? Should I note use one at all?

Upvote 0
I've spent a fortune on screen protectors seeking ease of application, and an end result that is bubble free while not killing the wonderful tactile experience of a bare display. So far I've not found a good solution. As much as it concerns me I'm going to risk it and go without one on my Note 3, this display is just too nice to cover up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones