• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk screen protectors!

Reactions: rawhide85
Upvote 0
I just received and installed this from Spigen.

Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector GLAS.tR SLIM Premium Tempered Glass - Galaxy Note 3 - Galaxy Note - Samsung - Brands | SPIGEN SGP

It was pretty easy to put on, It can be pulled up pretty easily as well in case any lint gets trapped underneath during install. Now that it is on, it is not noticible at all. Little pricey, but worth it IMO.

Looks pretty good, but it is pricey. However, if it was easy enough to install it would probably be worth it. How easy did you find it to apply?

Upvote 0
I've used lots of different screen protectors over the years, and was never completely happy with one until I got my Tab 2, and used a screen protector from this same company:

Amazon.com: Ionic Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector Film Invisible (Clear) (3-pack): Cell Phones & Accessories

This one went on my N3, and it was very easy to get a bubble-free application.

It does not "kill the visibility of the screen" as one reviewer put it. If I handed you my N3, you wouldn't be able to tell it was there until you saw the cutouts for the sensors/camera.

Upvote 0
@droidobsessed

Hey that YT vid was great because even though I've mastered screen protection installs over the past 5 years it is always a hassle to get that initial square-off. This is going to make it so easy, especially when you clean the crap out of the gorilla glass and tell everyone in your house not to frickin' move so as not to have lint & crap flyin' around. Then you slowly lay it down and there's that 1 piece of lint right in the freakin' middle that makes you have to lift the screen protector again to the midpoint so you can get the bugger out with a piece of tape.

Yup, this should make it a breeze for sure. Damn, I shouldn't say the word 'breeze' = lint!

Upvote 0
I always just have the crappy ones installed right when I buy the phone at the store. That way the phone is brand new, perfectly clean, and done by people that do them a ton. If you have a Best Buy and buy the screen protectors there, they will install them for you and do a great job. Same with a mall kiosk that sells them.

The crappy one I have on my phone right now is a finger print greasy smudge magnet and is driving me crazy. I would love to do just the naked gorilla glass but I'm petrified that a drop will break the glass. I think even a cheap protective cover will provide a little more resistance to cracking. I'm going to look at some of the links above, especially the Spigen. I just put on their Neo Hybrid case and it's very well made.

Upvote 0
Been reading a little about the Spigen GLAS.t Slim Nano. They have one for the S4, wonder if they are making one for the Note 3. Can't seems to make a solid choice between Spigen, MIME, Bodygaurdz, iLoome, and some others. no clear consensus.

Yes, they do make the GLAS.t for the Note 3. They sell them on Amazon or direct from Spigen for $34.99. They also make a new model called the GLAS.tR - the R stands for rounded edges which supposedly helps with chipping at the edges and is there latest and greatest development. $39.99 direct from Spigen with free shipping.

I just ordered one and I'll review it when it arrives. Yes, it's pricey, but if it gives me the superior tactile feel of the Gorilla Glass but provides me a layer protection (along with a little piece of mind) it will be well worth it!

Here's a direct link: http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy-note/galaxy-note-3/galaxy-note-3-glas-tr-slim-premium-tempered-glass.html

Upvote 0
I went with the Spigen Slim Armor case (Amazon.com: SPIGEN Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Case Protective [Slim Armor] [Metal Slate] Dual Layer Protective Case for Galaxy Note III - Metal Slate (SGP10457): Cell Phones & Accessories) and the Spigen GLAS t screen protector (Amazon.com: SPIGEN Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector Glass [GLAS.t SLIM] Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear for Galaxy Note III - GLAS.t SLIM: Cell Phones & Accessories). Perfect fit all-around, like they were engineered together. This beveled glass GLAS t is in a league all its own --- no distortion or reflection, great sensitivity, no pen nib offset, perfect adhesion to the whole screen, and the beveled edges make it look really slick. Pricey, but very happy with the purchase.

Upvote 0
Yes, they do make the GLAS.t for the Note 3. They sell them on Amazon or direct from Spigen for $34.99. They also make a new model called the GLAS.tR - the R stands for rounded edges which supposedly helps with chipping at the edges and is there latest and greatest development. $39.99 direct from Spigen with free shipping.

I just ordered one and I'll review it when it arrives. Yes, it's pricey, but if it gives me the superior tactile feel of the Gorilla Glass but provides me a layer protection (along with a little piece of mind) it will be well worth it!

Here's a direct link: Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector GLAS.tR SLIM Premium Tempered Glass - Galaxy Note 3 - Galaxy Note - Samsung - Brands | SPIGEN SGP

read about the GLAS.t and the tR. Varying reports on the thickness, though generally the tR series seems thicker. They make a tank just none officially announced that I could find for the Note 3. That's the one I am interested in

Upvote 0
But at the kiosk they tell you not to put the battery back in for 24 hrs. BTW, my last wet installation they DID spray the screen of my tbolt.

I have absolutely no dexterity so putting a protector on myself is out of the question so I wish a good dry installation were available at a kiosk. I'm not cheap (spent $700 to keep plan) but I expect perfection from a paid installation. If I wanted bubbles I could do it myself.

Upvote 0
But at the kiosk they tell you not to put the battery back in for 24 hrs. BTW, my last wet installation they DID spray the screen of my tbolt.

Most of the devices I have done have been iPhones, I wonder what they tell them about removing the battery. Also, all the directions I have ever seen indicate the spray goes on the screen protector not the device. Attached is a pic of my Skinomi after a few days cured.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
I'm in the camp with the others who don't use screen protectors. I tried to install them on my other phone and it almost made me nuts (if that's possible). Finally gave up (after $1652.22) in wasted purchases as I could not live with the bubbles. Had that phone for 2 yrs before my Verizon contract was up and in the end the screen was perfect. I was just careful to not put keys or change in the pocket with the phone. That was easy for me as I have not had change in my pockets since banks came out with debit cards.

I do use a case, though. To protect the phone but more importantly for me was to make the phone thicker. I have no clue why all these mfg's keep bringing out thinner phones every year. I can barely pick them up now they're so thin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones