• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk screen protectors!

I've done a boat load of screen protectors. None have been "easy" until I used the Iloom Flex for the N3. I was cautioned from Utube videos about once its on, it's hard to re install. I was careful to line up properly and it was a breeze, zero bubbles. It was truly amazing.

Update
Yesterday my Iloom 8H protector started coming apart below my home button. Pieces just chipped off.
I sent an email to Iloom about the problem so probably won't here from them until Monday or so.
I did notice on there website, they do not offer the 8H anymore, just the thicker 9H. The 9H has rounded edges so is less likely to chip.
I'm assuming there have been problems with the older designs.
I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Update
Yesterday my Iloom 7H protector started coming apart below my home button. Pieces just chipped off.
I sent an email to Iloom about the problem so probably won't here from them until Monday or so.
I did notice on there website, they do not offer the 7H anymore, just the thicker 9H. The 9H has rounded edges so is less likely to chip.
I'll keep you posted.

I have the iloome ScreenMate Flex 8H plus its a flexible tempered glass. I love this tempered glass plus its not as thick as the 9H. 0.12 compare to the 9H which is 0.26

Upvote 0
Update
Yesterday my Iloom 8H protector started coming apart below my home button. Pieces just chipped off.
I did notice on there website, they do not offer the 8H anymore, just the thicker 9H. The 9H has rounded edges so is less likely to chip.
I'll keep you posted.

Iloome contacted me yesterday. They wanted the Amazon order#, a picture of the damage and an explanation of how the damage happened. No explanation was given because I don't know how it happened. I've never dropped my phone.
Today Iloome responded stating I must have dropped the phone causing the damage and would discount another if I wanted to replace it. They also stated it's been more than 60 days from my purchase. Great warranty! NO SALE! I'm going to buy something else.

Upvote 0
I received my Brando 0.20mm tempered glass premium protector yesterday. Quite minimalist Packaging. The protector only had one protective film on the adhesive side, not on the face as described in install instructions. Install was pretty smooth. But problem even after 24+ hours is that the right bottle side is not adhering. There is strange line just at the point where protector doesn't adhere.

The oleophobic coating seem very nive. Clarity is excellent. Screen is soooo smooth. Not used to it yet.

Not a fan of the cutout for the home button. It's not an oval like the home. It is an upside down U. Meaning the bottom is open. Not a deal breaker for me. But would prefer a more custom close fit.

Contacted brando support. Heard back already and they asked if I would like a replacement. I said yes. But not yet received a reply or confirmation.

Upvote 0
Decided to go with the Spigen GLAS.tR. It should arrive tomorrow or tuesday.
I hope I dont mess up the installation,
because I have never applied a screen protector before (normal or glass).

So the basic things to do would be;
-a hot shower (to get rid of floating dust)
-cleaning fingers and screen with alcohol swipe before starting

Anything else I should take to consideration beforehand?
Also, would the home-button be the safest place to start the alignment?

I used to hate putting on a screen protector... always would have a bubble that wouldn't come out... or a speck of dust that floated by... or something. I used the hot shower routine as well, and only got myself hot and bothered.

Then I learned how to apply the (non-liquid) screen protectors properly when I had a GN2. Scotch tape is your friend! (painter's tape too).When I bought my GS4, I installed the cheapo store brand screen protector on the spot in 2 minutes. It's been so perfect I haven't bothered to put on my iSmooth screen protectors yet... after 7 or 8 months of daily use.

After cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth, I roll over the screen with a loop of scotch tape around my finger... and that really gets off stuff I don't notice. Then align and apply the protector. If you inadvertently get debris under the screen, use a strip of tape to lift the edge, and another strip of tape to get the offender off the bottom of the protector, and reapply the SP. Repeat as necessary. Smooth out any bubbles with the MF cloth.

Here's one way from our friends over at xda:
Guide: Perfect Screen Protector Installation Technique - xda-developers

Works great. Lasts a long time. ;)

Reactions: LilianTepes
Upvote 0
I am planning to buy a matte type screen protector, where/what is the best deal I could get? Any advice please? Thanks.

Define "best deal" in your estimation. If you're looking to not spend a lot of money, there are plenty of options on ebay. For regular screen prtoectors, I've always recommended SGP

If you're looking for a matte/anti-glare protector, I recommend this:
Amazon.com: Spigen Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector Anti Glare Steinheil [Ultra Optics] Clear Anti Fingerprint Screen Protector for Galaxy Note III - Ultra Optics: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
iSmooth...I am VERY happy with the screen protector and customer service. It's a bit hard to get on straight because it fits the exact size of the screen. If you touch the bezel, it may not lay flat. Took me all three protectors to get it right. I called the company and they quickly sent me three more as a backup. No orange peel effect and VERY smooth. Its actually quite nice under the finger. Read reviews on amazon and purchase with confidence...you won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0
I simply cannot resist the enjoyment of the pure tactile experience of the bare naked, Oleophobic coated display on today's top of the line smartphones.

Both with or without using the S-Pen, nothing beats a clean clear display. By carrying a small microfiber cloth to wipe off finger prints from time to time, my displays always look brand new throughout the year or so I typically use each phone.

Carried in a dedicated front pocket, all by itself, risk of scratching is mitigated.

Well now that I've jinxed myself, I'm bound to incur a massive scratch at any moment :D

Upvote 0
I received my Brando 0.20mm tempered glass premium protector yesterday. Quite minimalist Packaging. The protector only had one protective film on the adhesive side, not on the face as described in install instructions. Install was pretty smooth. But problem even after 24+ hours is that the right bottle side is not adhering. There is strange line just at the point where protector doesn't adhere.

The oleophobic coating seem very nive. Clarity is excellent. Screen is soooo smooth. Not used to it yet.

Not a fan of the cutout for the home button. It's not an oval like the home. It is an upside down U. Meaning the bottom is open. Not a deal breaker for me. But would prefer a more custom close fit.

Contacted brando support. Heard back already and they asked if I would like a replacement. I said yes. But not yet received a reply or confirmation.

I finally had the time to put into installing the replacement Brando Premium.
A PERFECT drop again. no dust. this time, the entire right side is not sticking. about 1cm from the top to the bottom. I clearfully removed, cleaned again with alcohol/microfiber etc. dried. another perfect drop. it sticks everywhere execpt for that far right side.

I'm wondering if my luck is just that bad. could my Note 3 display be flawed and not actually flat on that edge? What the heck?

I can see the line along the entire right side in the photo

thoughts anyone? Why reasons could the be on why two different protectors are not sticking on the same side. I cleaned the entire display the same way. The display has never had anything (even from day one) on it except protection. Started out with PET, but its always had something. The microfiber and the alcohol cleaned any potential oil off. I'm stumped.

If I get my money back, what brand are people most happy with now? Still the spigen? or the iLoome?

thoughts? suggestions?

Upvote 0
Third time is a charm?

I ordered the Brando Tempered Glass. Packaging was good. Price was good. Reputation seemed respectable. Product went on smoothly, accept as per previous posts, part of the protector didnt adhear (it was not a cleaning issue).

Brando sent me a replacement display. Good thing, as after a few weeks of use, a small chip appeared near the home botton. I again cleaned the N3 very well. Steamy room and all. Another perfect lay/down install. Again with the lack of adhesion on the right side of display. I posted pictures earlier of that problem. And to my dismass, again with a chip near the home botton.

I contacted Brando. A few times. No reply led me to work with credit card to dispute the charge. Brando eventually contacted me. And said they next version of the display is now out. oval cutout for the home button rather than an open bottom. I said I would withhold negative critique until after it arrived. Its arrived. Steamed up the room. Rubbed display down with alcohol. micro fiber the whole deal. Screen looked pristine. I even placed the old protector askew from the edge to see if perhaps my display itself is somehow flawed and is not 100% completely flat. But as I hoped, the old Brando protector did not adhear alone the edge .. even if that edge was in the middle of the phone. So this proves (at least to me) that there is an issue with manufacture and how the adhesive gets to the edge.

I cleaned the screen AGAIN for the new display. A 3rd near perfect lay down. the home button was a bit to tight on the top. but some gentle rubbing/pushing the protector up got the protector to shift up about 1mm. And the best news. It adhered perfectly. go issues. no dust. It look very good. with the display off. I dont have to stare at those nasty lines where it didnt stick. Time will tell if the protector chips near home button. Will update if it does.

I have a hard time giving 5 stars, two thumbs up for a review. In the end, Brando did stand by the product (they did send me two replacements). If you order, and get the 2nd generation/new version, that seems better. if the 3rd attempt was my 1st.. I would say 5 stars no doubt. But I guess because of quality control is at least raises the eyebrows. For the price, it works well and beat the Spiegen pricing. Good luck and enjoy!

Upvote 0
Just wanted a dedicated thread for screen protectors. I've always used Zagg, Clear-Coat, or BodyGuardz with my devices but the N3 has such a beautiful screen, that I what to try a glass protector. I'm considering the iLoome ScreenMate Flex. It is available for pre-order at $16.99 USD. Does anyone have any experience with iLoome products? Also, is the N3 screen perfectly flat to allow a glass protector?
Link:
iloome Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector - Premium Flexible Glass

Dude, 16.9$ USD is too high price for screen protector. There're many screen protectors on Ebay in 10$ USD.

Upvote 0
I'm using Crystalusion, about 3 months now. Hard to comment on something you can't see or feel :D, but so far so good. The screen is so good I just didn't want to put a protector on it. Have used Zag on previous phones and remove it after 18 months or so and take my chances from there.
I have a full wallet style case with the GN3 which covers the face when not in use, so that keeps it pretty safe for a start.
Have to say though, when I get smudges on it, it cleans so easily with a cloth, looks like new with a wipe.
Time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones