1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

LF: RF Signal detection application

Last Updated:

1. Anderonius

Anderonius New Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure if an app exists that does what I'm looking for exactly, or if it's even possible. What I need is an app that can detect any and all RF signals in my current location. Reason being for one example is that my garage door opener and this is crazy, never works consistently. The remotes are fine sometimes and other times you have to get really close. According to the manufacturer there is something with a conflicting signal close by that is causing my issue. Normally I would they are full of it, but I have radio controlled toys for my son that do the same thing. Sometimes they work great, other times they don't. So I'm looking for an application sort of like the wifi detection apps I've seen, but for any and all RF signals on all frequencies and the strength of them. I was hoping I could find what this signal is that is conflicting with my stuff.

Advertisement
  2. computerpro3

computerpro3 Well-Known Member

How is your phone supposed to detect "all" RF frequencies when it doesn't have "all" RF radios built into it?

The reason you can detect wifi is because it has a wifi radio in it. Ditto for bluetooth, and 3g. You need hardware tuned to specifically pick up whatever frequency you're looking to detect, otherwise you're out of luck.

3. arjo_reich

arjo_reich Member

to be fair, all three of those examples are on the same (9600mhz) frequency...but the same basic principle applies, even with the HTC Incredible's built-in FM radio that's still only the FM frequencies...

4. mmitchykidd

mmitchykidd New Member

what other applications use radio frequency in those same bandwidths? It would be a great app that would be able to detect radio frequency strength the way that an antenna tuner does. Maybe you could use the app to detect bugs (listening devices)in your home or office, or tune in to closed circuit tv transmissions or police/fire transmissions. Just a thought.

5. gilbertofs

gilbertofs New Member

Wi Spy is a USB device from MetaGeek which detects all radio frequencies locally active. Ranges detected are 900MHz, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and prices vary depending on which frequencies you want to detect. I'm not a Pro in this area, and I'm not able to tell you what devices (microwave ovens, wireless phones, remote controls, etc) use each range. I believe they can help you choose one tailored for your needs.