• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG Access (straight talk) SD card storage

Debby

Jan 23, 2015
My son & I both recently got the Straight Talk LG Access L31 phones. We both have 32gb micro SD cards installed. We don't have any problem saving to the SD cards. He has lots of music and apps stored to his, I have apps and pictures on mine. BUT if you go into Settings, Storage on the phone it shows the SD card as having nothing on it and all the storage still available. This can't be right. I've experimented with moving apps back to the phone, and back to the SD card again and I can see the effect it has on increasing or decreasing my phone storage, but the SD card storage stays "empty". Can anyone explain this or help me to fix it so the SD storage properly registers on the phone?

I wouldn't know how to root the phone. I just put in the SD card, then the phone battery, started it up and went from there. It's running android 4.4.2. Are the SD cards class 10? I don't know for sure.
The device may only take 16 GB high capacity cards. Does the device take long to start up . try to turn off the device remove the card . then power back on without the SD card and see what the storage reads . I take it you didn't format the card before using it .

Upvote 0
I know it takes up to a 32gb card. I think it takes a normal amount of time to start up. And no I didn't format the card. I didn't know I had to and don't know how to do that. I used a SanDisk Ultra micro SD - it says it's Class 10.
When I start the phone without the SD card, all the apps I have moved to it are on my phone, but the icon is the little green android guy with a SD card pic in the corner and the icons don't function/open anything. In the settings it tells me to mount as SD card where as before it at least knew one was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
Icons are back and functioning. Still shows the same in settings. Under SD card, total space is 29.71gb. Available is 29.38gb. It doesn't detail the pics, apps bar like it does under the internal storage section. And the colors in the bar that represent the different types of things saved aren't there under the SD card. It's just all gray, whereas under the phone storage the bar is colored different by what is stored to the phone.
It does know that the SD card is there though.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
What you will need to do is backup everything on a PC /laptop and format the SD card . yes take all the photos put on PC /laptop in a folder on the desktop . and have the other with songs to put on a PC/ laptop . on the device where you see the words SD card mount and unmount below that is a spot which will have the word SD card format . when you do a this a pop up will show and tell you when its start and when its done when its done just do it a second time . when it shows finished you can hook the Lg L31 to the PC/laptop to upload the pictures and music to the cards through the USB cable.

Upvote 0
Icons are back and functioning. Still shows the same in settings. Under SD card, total space is 29.71gb. Available is 29.38gb. It doesn't detail the pics, apps bar like it does under the internal storage section. And the colors in the bar that represent the different types of things saved aren't there under the SD card. It's just all gray, whereas under the phone storage the bar is colored different by what is stored to the phone.
It does know that the SD card is there though.
If you Dont need anything just format from the section and post what you see and then install all the items . :eek::D this may sound funny but it may just be that you Dont have enough on the SD card to show up on the SD card . but its a class 10 which is what it calls for . sometimes stores tell the customers that a class 4 will work . and you get home and it doesn't . but class 10 is what it calls for .

Upvote 0
Formatting the microSD Card

Formatting a microSD card permanently removes all files stored on the card.

1. Touch the Apps Key  > Settings  >Storage.

2. Touch Unmount SD card to release the microSD card from device use.

NOTE: A warning message may be displayed if applications will stop when you unmount the microSD card. Touch the OK button to proceed.

An icon appears within the Notifications panel to indicate an unmounted microSD card.

3. Once released, touch Erase SD card > Erase SD card > Erase everything.

Once completely formatted, the card is automatically re-mounted (reconnected for use by the device).

NOTE: The formatting procedure erases all the data on the microSD card, after which the files CANNOT be retrieved. To prevent the loss of important data, please check the contents before you format the card.

Connecting Your Device to Your Computer

Before using your device's mass storage capabilities, you need to prepare your device's data services to synchronize with your desktop or laptop computer. Once you have connected the device to the computer, you can transfer your data to or from the device memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones