• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lg Ally and Ice Cream Sandwich

By the way the port for OG droid doesnt even work all the way, latest builds wont even boot. Plus its a completely different CPU manufacturer and architecture. They have almost nothing in common. As an owner of both devices I know the OG is much more capable of ICS than an ally would be but they cant even get OG working yet. If we cant get functional gingerbread on the ally use logic... why would functional ICS be possible?

Upvote 0
By the way the port for OG droid doesnt even work all the way, latest builds wont even boot. Plus its a completely different CPU manufacturer and architecture. They have almost nothing in common. As an owner of both devices I know the OG is much more capable of ICS than an ally would be but they cant even get OG working yet. If we cant get functional gingerbread on the ally use logic... why would functional ICS be possible?

ics ran just fine for me on the og

Upvote 0
why is it so hard for so many of you to understand????? The odds of it happening are slim to none at BEST... leave it be and understand the Ally is a garbage phone with garbage hardware. The ally is not the og droid or whatever phone you would like to compare it to...its called the Ally for a freakin reason...it is the Ally lmao...

Upvote 0
why is it so hard for so many of you to understand????? The odds of it happening are slim to none at BEST... leave it be and understand the Ally is a garbage phone with garbage hardware. The ally is not the og droid or whatever phone you would like to compare it to...its called the Ally for a freakin reason...it is the Ally lmao...

Not really lol .. im pretty sure if it was garbage, nobody wouldve have bought it ... take that somewhere else :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Really? If so can you point me to a build that has any basic phone functions working? There is one that boots but loses radio after a reboot, and has no in call audio, no camera, and that is about the best I found. Either way my point is just because there is a HALF working ICS build on OG Droid that all the developers gave up on, doesnt mean you can just port it over to a dissimilar architecture device and expect it to work. If you guys are going to think there is some way to port ICS to an ally at least do yourselves a favor and use one from a MSM platform phone rather than an OMAP one.

Upvote 0
Not really lol .. im pretty sure if it was garbage, nobody wouldve have bought it ... take that somewhere else :rolleyes:
Okay let me rephrase that, compared to any halfway recent phone the Ally is garbage. Sorry the truth hurts bud...I will say the devs have made this a tolerable device thru all their amazing work! If it makes ya feel any better I have an Ally too..lol only until June although it can't come soon enough. What other phones are you dev's working with? In particular you RGO?

Upvote 0
Okay let me rephrase that, compared to any halfway recent phone the Ally is garbage. Sorry the truth hurts bud...I will say the devs have made this a tolerable device thru all their amazing work! If it makes ya feel any better I have an Ally too..lol only until June although it can't come soon enough. What other phones are you dev's working with? In particular you RGO?

lololol .... well it was mid-Range back in the day tho hah .... yes i know any phone will blow the ally away right now! haha .. mine is retired so dont have that much of a use, canceled my service after like 6 months later

Upvote 0
dudes wtf
why it cant run android 4 . what is your problem?
ofc that phone it has a gpu like every phone
and why it is outdated
developers are still developing the latest android on G1 and different phones

dude wtf
why cant you read threads . what is your problem?
ofc your first post is just complaining like every other noob
and why are you complaining
developers are working on ICS for this phone right now

Upvote 0
With all the hype about Android 4.0 and the threads that have been showing up I felt that I should make a thread to make you think again before making your own thread.

The LG Ally will NEVER see a fully working ICS port if it even sees on at all.
It is more likely for your dog to grow wings, fly to Mars, and cure world hunger than the LG Ally get a fully working ICS.
Vermin Supreme will win the Presidential election before the LG Ally gets a fully working ICS.

On another note:

The LG Ally will NEVER see a fully working CyanogenMod port if it even sees on at all.
It is more likely for your dog to grow wings, fly to Mars, and cure world hunger than the LG Ally get a fully working CyanogenMod.
Vermin Supreme will win the Presidential election before the LG Ally gets a fully working CyanogenMod.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Chrome requires ics and an arm7 cpu to run
So, a capadibility port would be needed like adobe flash did but probably wouldnt be successful.
The cyanogen port would of been possible but the files used were lost or locked up from our generations hands and the developers gave up on it seeing they couldnt go any further.
As for ics, "hands u my ally" have fun ^_^ the chances of me or someone getting ics to run on the ally are the chances of porting windows xp to the ally.

What we as devs have given u guys is as far as one can go. Respect it.

The Ally isn't the Optimus P500. Just because it gets something, doesn't mean we can too.

I'm sorry if I sound mean but I'll try to use little words so you understand.

The Ally is not good enough to run ICS. The hardware is too out of date. I don't even think the Ally has a GPU.

As said in my OP. The Ally will never see ICS. Only ICS themes *cough StormDroid cough*

dude wtf
why cant you read threads . what is your problem?
ofc your first post is just complaining like every other noob
and why are you complaining
developers are working on ICS for this phone right now
uh sorry but i comed here by searching in google

Upvote 0
uh sorry but i comed here by searching in google

It doesn't matter how you got here, respect the developers. You first post was basically belittling the developers, as if it is their fault. If you want ICS on Ally, go talk to LG. They'll gladly sell you newer LG phone with ICS.

LG did not release the full source for the phone, hence why it is nearly impossible to do it. I can guarantee you there are a handful of devs working on it at the moment, but there will be NO etas, and NO promises.

As for the G1, the only reason they still have developer source is the same reason WE can't do much with the Ally. HTC released the full source for the phone, making AOSP roms possible. LG did not.

Again, if you had searched instead of coming in this thread to slap the developers' virtual faces, you would have found all of that information, and more.

You need to learn some forum manners.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter how you got here, respect the developers. You first post was basically belittling the developers, as if it is their fault. If you want ICS on Ally, go talk to LG. They'll gladly sell you newer LG phone with ICS.

LG did not release the full source for the phone, hence why it is nearly impossible to do it. I can guarantee you there are a handful of devs working on it at the moment, but there will be NO etas, and NO promises.

As for the G1, the only reason they still have developer source is the same reason WE can't do much with the Ally. HTC released the full source for the phone, making AOSP roms possible. LG did not.

Again, if you had searched instead of coming in this thread to slap the developers' virtual faces, you would have found all of that information, and more.

You need to learn some forum manners.
ok than i said sorry for my comments
but the thread starter it looks like he is really angry and shouting at us
so whtever i will try it

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd point out that the LG Shine Plus (the GSM version of the Ally, sold in Canada) does run gingerbread. The sources are available from LG under C710 or C710h. If you poke though the kernel sources, there's a bunch of references to your phone in there so I think they share kernel source code. Assuming the radio interface works, you could try to compare to your sources for 2.2 and try compile it for your phone...

We at the Shine Plus community have successfully gotten things like recent clockwork recovery builds, and overclocked kernels using the LG provided sources, but haven't gotten as far as getting AOSP/CM7 working. That's not to say it cannot happen: Phones with the same processors (eg: ZTE Blade, HTC Wildfire S) have successfully been pushed to ICS and beyond using old kernels/radios.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd point out that the LG Shine Plus (the GSM version of the Ally, sold in Canada) does run gingerbread. The sources are available from LG under C710 or C710h. If you poke though the kernel sources, there's a bunch of references to your phone in there so I think they share kernel source code. Assuming the radio interface works, you could try to compare to your sources for 2.2 and try compile it for your phone...

We at the Shine Plus community have successfully gotten things like recent clockwork recovery builds, and overclocked kernels using the LG provided sources, but haven't gotten as far as getting AOSP/CM7 working. That's not to say it cannot happen: Phones with the same processors (eg: ZTE Blade, HTC Wildfire S) have successfully been pushed to ICS and beyond using old kernels/radios.

While that would seem like an amazing idea, all of the developers for this community are pretty much gone and done and don't have an ally to test with. Sadly I think developing for this phone is finished. Unless your dev community from the shine plus wants to try to help ;)

Upvote 0
While that would seem like an amazing idea, all of the developers for this community are pretty much gone and done and don't have an ally to test with. Sadly I think developing for this phone is finished. Unless your dev community from the shine plus wants to try to help ;)

There's about three active people on the Shine Plus front - no one truly pro, but they're having fun learning. The good thing that they're doing is documenting step-by-step how to reproduce their work. Perhaps if we figure something exciting out, we'll let you know :)

We don't have the Ally in Canada as we don't have Verizon, but the Shine Plus phones are truly similar. I think you have the MSM 7227 cpu, and we have the 7627. These are identical except for the CDMA vs. GSM thing, which of course causes the radios to be different. Ours has slightly more memory and a better camera, but the hardware is otherwise identical afaik.

In the kernel sources, there are a bunch of switches for alohag (Shine Plus) and alohav (Ally). Sadly, none of us have an Ally, so we haven't tried building with alohav kernel config.

Upvote 0
I am gonna try this and I know it CAN be done. If the ZTE Blade can run ICS than the LG Ally can to. We have more thing to work from now than we did back in 2012. More ways to get things to work. If Gingerbread can run on the Ally than ICS can to. The Ally would be better off running jelly bean because its just a bit more smooth and slick. I will try intill I die to get ICS to work on this thing.

Upvote 0
I am gonna try this and I know it CAN be done. If the ZTE Blade can run ICS than the LG Ally can to. We have more thing to work from now than we did back in 2012. More ways to get things to work. If Gingerbread can run on the Ally than ICS can to. The Ally would be better off running jelly bean because its just a bit more smooth and slick. I will try intill I die to get ICS to work on this thing.
Well...any luck? Least around the time you posted this people on xda got the ally to run 2.3.7 max (I think their link is dead). The most alive thing I found was 2.3.5 which worked perfectly. Idk maybe I can try my hand at it. ffs the galaxy s3 can now run android 13 (should have gone with oreo or nougat...13s a bloated mess) and ics and jellybean have now been poked and prodded at in every way imaginable so it cant be too hard these days.

Upvote 0
Well...any luck? Least around the time you posted this people on xda got the ally to run 2.3.7 max (I think their link is dead). The most alive thing I found was 2.3.5 which worked perfectly. Idk maybe I can try my hand at it. ffs the galaxy s3 can now run android 13 (should have gone with oreo or nougat...13s a bloated mess) and ics and jellybean have now been poked and prodded at in every way imaginable so it cant be too hard these days.
the problem you will run into is finding any files that still exist to make this happen. there really is no dev community supporting the device any more. all the threads i have seen date back to 2013. i can't search xda because something is wrong with their forum section. but a google search shows threads that are pretty old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones