LG Ally messeging issues - Verizon/Android platformSupport

if you had to rate the LG Ally, would you rate it as a 5* (best)? or any other score lower than a 5*

1. 5* BEST

6.3%
  2. 4* GREAT

56.3%
  3. 3* GOOD

37.5%
  4. 2* ALRIGHT...I GUESS

25.0%
  5. 1* TERRIBLE - TRY BUYING A NEW PHONE LOSER!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Last Updated:

1. rage247

rage247 New Member This Topic's Starter

Any ideas as to whats making every "outbound" message fail? Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks..:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Moving this thread to the LG Ally forum...

rage247 likes this.
  3. rage247

Sorry Lol....Very new as you can see.:eek:

4. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

A very common problem with this phone! I am pretty much fed up with it! I have been having lots of problems with it. I am a verizon salesman so i also use it a ton! I have the overclock rom loaded onto this phone and trust me that made this phone a billion times better!

Problems i have:
    Fails to send messages to some people period. So i have to pop the battery out and reboot the phone.

Laggy to navigate to different home screens

camera takes forever to load

gps takes a good 5 minutes to find a gps fix no matter if im standing outside or driving in my truck

virtual keyboards both in landscape and vertical mode sometimes do not pop up at all

physical keyboard stops working sometimes mid text and leaves the last letter like thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss forcing a reboot to make the buttons work

The list goes on. Over all a decent entry level android phone. But some serious issues that have made me want to burn this hunk of crap sometimes! Anyone who needs a phone for more than pleasure should stay clear. I recently picked up the HTC Aria from AT&T. I won it last month and my ATT guy is hooking me up with a free month of service to try out. I LOVE IT! Leaves the ALLY in the dust and spits on it in the process. Fast, HUGE AFTERMARKET, speed and memory to spare.

rage247 likes this.
  5. rage247

I'm gonna try a few things you have mentioned in your response.

As for any other issues "for me", id have to say; a little boggy @ times..
    Other than that I have no complaints..

Thanks so much for that speedy response. Greatly appreciated!

6. rage247

I'm gonna try a few things you have mentioned in your response.

As for any other issues "for me", id have to say; a little boggy @ times..
    Other than that I have no complaints..

Thanks so much for that speedy response. Greatly appreciated!

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I think this phone is good. If people got the Ally and we're hoping for power and speed well they thought wrong. :p

Me personally used to experience all the lag and force closes when i first got the Ally (pre-ordered it).

But ever since i found out how to root the phone, flash custom recoveries, flash custom rom's/kernels they have made it such a better phone.

I have never had problems sending texts and i use the default messaging app. My keyboard has also never done the above but i have heard of experiences from other people.

If you find your homescreenn too laggy and not ready to plunge into rooting and custom roms. Give Launcherpro or ADW Launcher a try. Those are just two of quite a few third party launchers available in the market.

8. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

+1 I rooted mine the hard way through MS Dos but there are actually 1 click roots. From there installing clockwork or a couple other recoveries is super simple. That made this phone SOOO much better like i said before. The aftermarket is still growing for this phone so in my opinion it will get better and better until the desire to upgrade these devices is gone.

Since week 1 i have used Launcher pro. There are some very cool things you can do with that launcher. Also the overclock kernel is hands down the best one i have used the 787 overclock.

9. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that Verizon would make a salesman use one of their entry-level smartphones...

10. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

Verizon salesmen get new phones once a year. We get the nationwide agent plan of 1500min unl text and unl data with 300 picture messages. I pay just at $23 a month after tax.

I can easily buy any phone I want at a discounted price but why buy a phone when they give them to us? I win them pretty much monthly anyways.

So to revisit your question... Verizon is cheap. I have demoed the Droid X and Droid 2 long before the public could get their hands on one. But my company owns my phones so I give them back. My Ally they own. Dealers do not have contracts therefore do not qualify for discounts on handsets like the general public does signing 2 year contracts. We only have to keep our phones for 1 year then all agents swap in their phones for new ones if they would like to.

I will gladly give you my location code, employee Id and Eroes information if for some reason you dont feel I really am a verizon salesman. Ill even give you my phone number because hey maybe you will buy your next phone from me! haha :D

11. srozzman

srozzman Active Member

for the "thissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss"text problem, i find that closing the phone and putting it to sleep (by tapping the power button once) fixes the problem. no reboot necessary. just hit it again to turn the screen on, and it should be solved.

Also an annoyance is that while texting, it randomly thinks a letter is a keyboard shortcut, and opens the browser or email or some other app. to fix that, just hit the search button twice. deleting all the keyboard shortcuts help too

12. maddog986

maddog986 Active Member

I'm running Raptor and don't have any of the issues above. If the ally had a faster cpu I'm sure it would be even better. Screen can be small at times but that can also mean longer battery life. Once 2.2 comes out (or a port) this phone will be even better.

13. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Is anyone in here by chance running a task killer?

14. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Not I.

15. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

not me either. when my phone creeps i just clock the cpu higher.

16. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

good boys

17. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

Yeah I had some problems with it killing the wrong stuff and screwing my up phone until reboot. plus i have heard it slows the phone down.

I havent ran it for a while and Im not missing it

18. dots

dots Well-Known Member

19. maddog986

maddog986 Active Member

After lurking around on the forums for a while and reading anti-task killer posts i stopped using one last week and i have not noticed any slow downs. If anything ive noticed better battery life.

20. natevines

natevines Member

I agree with those who said this phone has serious issues. I had a Droid that I had accidentally crushed (I know, I know) and I didn't have insurance. This was the cheapest alternative, and damn do I miss my Droid. This thing takes FOREVER to charge vs. the Droid for some reason, it's *ALWAYS* laggy and unresponsive, even when I first got it. Apps which have no business force closing (SMS? Maps?), do. Txts will randomly stop coming in for a few hours, then all of a sudden I'll have 30 missed texts asking "where the hell have you been?". That was never a problem with my Droid, but happens once a week with the Ally so one would assume the phone is the issue, not the service.

21. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... you are a Verizon Salesman and... you use an overclocking ROM which Verizon would BUST us for... and you won and are using an ATT phone... But you work for Verizon... Where do you sell exactly? I want to be sure to avoid that store. Never trust a Salesman that won't use his own products.

MikeyV311 likes this.