Lg Ally won't boot into recovery, or flash ROM's. please help?

Last Updated:

1. HomicidalPanda1

HomicidalPanda1 Member This Topic's Starter

So, i'm using ROM manager to flash new roms onto my ally.
    anything I click on (Reboot in Recovery, Install from SD Card etc)
    they just reboot my phone.
    Any quick help?

Advertisement
  2. GRZLA

GRZLA Well-Known Member

Flash the recovery again.

McLovlein13 likes this.
  3. AndroidKris

AndroidKris Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem, and I've tried your solution. No go. I really want Velocity Rom on my phone, and I'm using Clockwork Mod's Rom Manager, but no matter what i try, I can't get my Ally to boot in recovery or flash the rom.

Edit: Problem solved. Just flash recovery again it Rom Manager.

4. rustlicense

rustlicense Member

im haveing a similar problem im trying to flash my stock recovery and it wont let me any help? pm me plkease

5. motorsport226

motorsport226 Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific...What exactly do you mean by 'it won't let you'?

6. Sneakyd

Sneakyd Well-Known Member

using clockwork i had to flash alternate recovery it will be odd to use but it worked for me

7. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

Here are the step I took to manually flash Clockworkmod Recovery to the LG Ally. It was a frustrating night, but I got it there. Must hav root access and ADB installed. I did this on a Win XP laptop.

1) download these files and place in the root of your sd card. http://androidforums.com/attachment...recovery-img-here-custom-roms-flash_image.zip (cedit Drellisdee) Extract this file.
    and
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.5-aloha.img (credit Clockworkmod) rename this file "recovery" just to make the typing easier.

open up command prompt in windows. CD to your ADB/tools directory, then do these following commands:

adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot

these are modified steps from Skater95's post here http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/183854-how-flash-stock-recovery.html that I changed to replace the stock recovery with clockwork.

These steps can also be performed within a terminal emulator if you have that installed on your phone. just follow the steps after "adb shell".

Hope this helps.

Credit to
    Skater95
    Drellisdee
    Clockworkmod

I just made adjustments where needed.

8. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

In case no one has mentioned it, Rom Manager and ClockworkMod have pretty much become worthless.

9. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

I'm having a similar issue. while using ROM manager anytime I boot into recovery in brings up the blue fastboot screen & when I try Flash although as suggested ROM manager forces close. I'm running velocity 4 on an Ally btw

10. jdmc

jdmc Active Member

Why is that?

11. kicker07cvr12

kicker07cvr12 Active Member

clockwork is useless if you have a2sd on your ally. rom manager and clockwork recovery do not have the option to wipe the sd card ext. after i got a2sd working on mine i flashed the armon-ra recovery and i have to say it makes clockwork useless for me. (if i am wrong on this please correct me. i know it is the reason i flashed Armon-Ra recovery.)

i want to clarify that i am not bashing clockwork or rom manager. if it wasnt for rom manager i probably wouldnt have figured out how to flash anything. it is a very useful app for flashing roms if you dont plan on using a2sd.

12. Brian P.

Brian P. Member

Word, I tried flashing the alternate recovery, and then Rom Manager just got hung up, let it sit and think for an hour and still nothing had to force close. But then when I attempted to reboot into recovery I get the same bluescreen that shows some "fastboot" shenanigans. And now cant flash the clockworkmod or alternate recovery from Rom Manager without it hanging and FC'ing, and still have the blue screen with "fastboot". But all in all AOSP 30 still boots if i try to restart so at least there is hope on how to fix it........just dont know how.:confused:

*OK, I selected the the fix permissions in rom manager flash clockwork mod and all is well now. powered off, then tried rebooting into recovery and clockwork mod came up, so now round two with alternate recovery and....flash said complete....shut down....reboot into recovery....YAHTZEE!!! it worked.

BadBoy and bnitty like this.
  13. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

nice i'm about to try that. hope it works bkuz i've been lead astray twice, but since you're from Kansas too i'm hoping for good luck lol!

14. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

Brian P you're a life saver. thought i was going to have to buy my gf a new phone lol. should have known since we have the same first name & both from Kansas you'd set me straight. thanks a thousand times!

15. Brian P.

Brian P. Member

Yeah i was worried I had no way to fix it unless I did it the long and drawn out way with adb, until I realized that it had that feature and I had my fingers crossed that it would work lol. So you live in lawrence? I'm in Topeka.

16. BadBoy

BadBoy New Member

Thanks! This was the solution I needed as well for a friend's phone. :)