LG Connect Gorilla GlassSupport

Last Updated:

1. LGconnect

LGconnect Well-Known Member

Ok, I know corning gorilla glass is suppose to be strong but, I guess it wasn't strong enough for my four year old daughter. She was in the kitchen playing samurai vs Zombies Defense while I was on the computer in my bedroom. When I went to check up on her she was watching tv. I went to get my phone and I notice a cut in the screen from the top middle down to the right middle of the screen. I ask her how she broke it and my angel said " it wasn't me". No, I don't have insurance. My question is there a place ( Metro, LG, etc ) that will replace the screen for a fee of course or do I have to buy another phone? The phone still works but, it is annoying to see the cut in the screen.

Advertisement
  2. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

it might be a gorilla, but its still glass.
    BlueMuscles and markolo25 like this.
  3. LGconnect

Thank you for your keen observations. Now does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
  4. danielary29

danielary29 Well-Known Member

well the first logic answer is to first call your local metro store and ask them what to do if you dont have a store in your area then go to metropcs.com and contact them there sorry its not much help.
    LGconnect likes this.
  5. Ya7VkeeFa7V

Ya7VkeeFa7V Member

She must have done some crazy stuff with your phone because I've dropped my phone face first tons of times without any damage
  6. Mexjoker

Mexjoker I'm Not Real, Doris!

Got to love kids these days lol
  7. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Well-Known Member

I tried looking for replacement screens for self repair online but there do not seem to be any. I just get LG appliance replacement part sites.

I think the best thing for you to do is take it down to metro. Im surprised a little girl was able to break that screen. I have dropped my admire tons of times face first and still do not have a scratch on the screen. Like anything plastic/glass it will break if stepped on or hit hard enough. Thats probably what happened. Kudos for not getting angry with her.
    LGconnect likes this.
  8. LGconnect

I was planning on contacting Metro but I wanted to wait and see if anyone else broke their screen and what they did about it. I can't believe I'm the only person to ever have a broken screen!
  9. LGconnect

Oh, I was plenty mad at her but, what can you do she is only 4.
  10. uncholowapo

uncholowapo Well-Known Member

It's not meant to be drop proof/resistant. It's supposed to be scratch resistant.

I know that feeling bro.
  11. LightenLhar

LightenLhar Well-Known Member

Face first doesn't break so much as corner first, where the whole force is applied to one point. I don't even know how one would go about removing a screen and getting a new one back on. I can't even handle a screen protector though without getting dust or a cat hair in the center though :p

But seriously, I would recommend just getting Metro to fix it. Good luck getting it done in-store though, most likely you'll have to mail it in and get it back in a week or two.
  12. john13579

john13579 New Member

I don't know about the Connect specifically, but I had a Motorola Atrix (also uses "Gorilla Glass") and the screen broke after a face-first fall (no cover of any kind). After looking around online I found YouTube videos that showed how to replace the glass. It looked easy enough so I bought the necessary tools and parts (repairsuniverse dot com did the video) and gave it a try.

I could have pulled it off, but I got too confident, pulled too hard when something resisted instead of double-checking the directions, and tore a ribbon cable. I could have bought THAT assembly for another $25, but I decided to cut my losses and headed to the nearest MetroPCS store to get the LG Connect. I needed an excuse to finally break my AT&T contract and ended up saving about $67/month for the same rate plan features, and still got a phone with comparable specs and data speeds that are probably faster than what I had!

So if you've got nothing to lose and can work with delicate electronics with small tools, look around to see if anybody has done a video yet and see if you think you could do it. My quick search didn't find anything, probably because the phone is so new, but maybe you'll find something... Good luck!
  13. LGconnect

I contacted LG and here is what they said...

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. I am delighted to hear from you as our valued customer, I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and I will be glad to help you out here.
    Unfortunately, screen damages are not covered by the warranty as they qualify as
  14. LGconnect

I'm on vacation right now but, when I get back I will send my phone to LG and update everyone on how long it took for them to fix it and how much they charged.
    markolo25 likes this.
  15. bart2201

bart2201 Well-Known Member

My also broke his screen on his HTC EVO 3d. He sent the unit into HTC and was told that his screen broke because of a defect on the edge of the screen that wasn't seen because it was enclosed by the frame. They repaired it for free and all he paid was the shipping charge when he sent it to them, they paid return shipping charges.

I say all this because its hard to imagine a 4 year old being able to do this type of damage unless she had your toolbox in her lap and could grasp and use a ball peen hammer. Seriously though, hopefully you'll find that yours was also defective in some way. Good Luck with it.
  16. mrast

mrast Well-Known Member

17. maguiarjr

maguiarjr New Member

An update for myself, I sent in my Connect to LG's repair center. My screen was almost totally shattered but the display underneath was still functional. They checked the phone out the same day they received it and sent me a repair quote which came out to $42. Not too bad I guess.
  18. bluesuga

bluesuga Well-Known Member

My screen has a crack everything works just fine though. I was wearing cargo shorts and had a phone in my cargo pocket and one in my front left pocket and i was chasing of of my dogs at the doggy park and somehow both phones "crashed" into each other... freak accident i guess.

but i just need to know from the both of you how you contact LG about the repair? would like to get this done soon. thanks
  19. fastordiy

fastordiy Well-Known Member

Hi my screen broke about a month ago after only 3 days of owning it. i didnt want a refurbished phone so i contacted LG, heres the # I called 1-800-793-8896
    I shipped my phone overnight to LG at fortwoth texas .and recieved my phone after 1 and 1/2 weeks. i only also only payed $42.00 i was very satisfied. wish u luck!!!!!

20. bluesuga

bluesuga Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info. i just got my connect back from LG it looks great.and now i'm ready to sell on it craigslist.
  21. fastordiy

yea your very welcome thanks, for the response !!!!
  22. fastordiy

ALSO! don't sell it, keep it. unless your saving for the s3 !
  23. amanz003

amanz003 New Member

24. armirol

armirol Well-Known Member