• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Exeed 2 TWRP 2.8.6

Can only get into DL mode or watch the LG boot logo sit all day. I didn't have your most recent recovery installed, so the battery pull procedure won't work. My issue is likely caused by me accidentally wiping /system during a TWRP restore. Can't access the partitions to dd /system back without adb (which of course needs the phone running). Only option that I can come up with is flash from DL mode and AFAIK needs the proper (unavailable) KDZ.

that button combo is not part of my recovery, on the Exceed 2, it is part of the bootloader, and it brings up that white screen

was hoping it did it on the Realm too

you may want to try it a few times it is tricky and does always work

basically I find, as soon as you put the battery in press and hold and dont let go of power and vol down, and it should go in

Upvote 0
that button combo is not part of my recovery, on the Exceed 2, it is part of the bootloader, and it brings up that white screen

was hoping it did it on the Realm too

you may want to try it a few times it is tricky and does always work

basically I find, as soon as you put the battery in press and hold and dont let go of power and vol down, and it should go in
I'll give it a shot when I get home. I'm waiting for the wife to get released from the hospital at the moment. If I can get into recovery, I have a recent nandroid that should resurrect it. Thanks for the guidance. Will report back a bit later. Fingers crossed :cool:

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I'll give it a shot when I get home. I'm waiting for the wife to get released from the hospital at the moment. If I can get into recovery, I have a recent nandroid that should resurrect it. Thanks for the guidance. Will report back a bit later. Fingers crossed :cool:

Hope all is well with your wife, thanks for the donation by the way

Upvote 0
Hope all is well with your wife, thanks for the donation by the way
My pleasure. Wife was b*tching all the way home, so apparently she's perfectly normal <g>.

Now for the really good news. The battery pull procedure worked! Restored the last TWRP backup from the ext sdcard and it's ALIVE! I didn't see the white screen tho, it went to a dark animated screen "Factory reset processing...", then went directly into recovery (the 2.8.5.0 that I had modded earlier). Unsure why it happened this way, but I'm OK with it.

I do seem to have an issue writing to the internal SDCard/Pictures tho. Screenshots folder (as in /Pictures/Screenshots is missing. I've deleted this on many devices in the past and it gets recreated upon taking the 1st screenshot. It doesn't do that anymore, nor can I create the folder manually (or even copy a file to it). Seems to be a permissions issue, but they match all other folders on the internal sdcard which I *can* write to. Odd...

Upvote 0
OK. I restored the stock Realm recovery and completely reset the phone to pure stock. Rooted it, and installed the recovery in the OP. Works perfectly on the Realm! The only caveat is what I mentioned in my last post. There is no white screen or options, it goes directly into recovery (after the "Factory reset processing..." animation). I actually like this more ;) The procedure is device specific evidently. Just wanted to report it working on the Realm, and to thank you once again.

Gonna give bcrichster's debloated ROM a test very soon...

Upvote 0
Gonna give bcrichster's debloated ROM a test very soon...

Glad you got your phone un-bricked, I updated the OP warning people if they do the battery / button combo thing on a Realm, that it will automatically factory reset and they will lose data, dont want someone just trying to go into recovery to lose all their stuff

Upvote 0
Glad you got your phone un-bricked, I updated the OP warning people if they do the battery / button combo thing on a Realm, that it will automatically factory reset and they will lose data, dont want someone just trying to go into recovery to lose all their stuff
No no no, it doesn't actually factory reset. It brings you to the "Factory reset processing..." animation, then directly to your TWRP. You can then do your backup/restore from there. The only means to truly factory reset is from within the "Settings/Backup & reset/Factory data reset menu" from the phone itself (just be sure to NOT erase SDCard, or better yet remove it prior to reset). It still goes to TWRP for a moment (as the stock recovery is now gone) and then resets to whatever your current /system contains. Your data, user installed apps, and settings will be gone, and any frozen apps will be back (unless you have removed them). If you want everything back from your last nandroid (or the original), THEN do the battery pull procedure and restore from TWRP. Reboot system and good to go.

I would recommend installing your TWRP from stock (or as close to stock as possible because you're now rooted, etc.), do a full TWRP backup to external SD, reboot and debloat/do whatever you like. I did the initial nandroid on and old 4GB chip (will fit on 2), then removed it for safe keeping. You can then put a bigger SDCard into it (I have a 64GB one in mine, even though the mfg only "officially" supports 32GB). Format it in the phone itself if you just want Fat32 for storage. You could also partition it beforehand for use with Link2SD, etc. Of course that's another topic altogether.

Feel free to use/edit my findings in your OP, or just link to this post so as not to scare anyone away ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Additional note: I HIGHLY recommend installing the Pro version of Titanium Backup to do any debloating, etc. Be sure to apply the SDFix in order to enable TiB to save your apps/data/etc. on your external SDcard should you do decide to reset to factory defaults. Saves a lot of time reinstalling everything, or if transferring to another device. Best $6 you will ever spend on an app IMHO.

Upvote 0
Love the batch options. Perfect when swapping devices. I use it a lot for freezing apps to verify I don't break anything prior to permanent removal (which some of the other apps can do too) and converting user apps to system apps. For instance, I have a really nice image of the LG Fuel debloated to hell & back, even removing the ugly arsed stock launcher and replacing with Nova. Once there, it survives a factory reset. I do this with many things that I *know* are better or use less resources than what comes pre-installed. Chrome for example is a hog, but replacing with Lightning speeds things up considerably. Stock file managers suck, as you can't access anything other than your storage (even with root). I imagine you can see where I'm going with this ;).

I'm tweaking the system of your ROM for the Realm, but being that I only use this as a WiFi device, it becomes difficult to know what I may break for actual phone use. The Exceed 2 is very similar as far as the apps go, and I do have a couple active (for a few more days) that I can test. If you have an *active* Realm, I'll provide you with a /system image to incorporate & test. I'll try to get to it tonight, but can't promise that I'll have time to do it. I already ridded it of several unnecessary things that just nag you to death and of are no use once the device has been activated. Not needed even if not active, as you can just use the dialer to do so.

With hroark13's recovery installed, we can't possibly (well, highly unlikely) brick so long as we leave his recovery intact. I love this thing ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones