• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps LG G Pad 7.0 LTE not able to send/receive files on Mac

noeqplease

May 6, 2015
Hi,

I am developing some apps for use in both Android and iOS.

I recently got this LG G Pad 7.0 LTE for free, which is great, since I can try to use
it to test out Android apps on it.

I have figured out how to move my APK files onto the device through BlueTooth, but this really suxx.

EXCEPT: Since I develop on a Mac, it simply will not be "seen" by Android Studio, nor even the Mac itself.

So, my question is : How can I fix this "issue"?

Here is how it is being reported by the Mac system profiler:

USB Charge Only Interface:
Product ID:0x6300
Vendor ID:0x1004 (LG Electronics Inc.)
Version:2.28
Speed:Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer:LG Electronics Inc.
Location ID:0xfd120000 / 4
Current Available (mA):500
Current Required (mA):500

Hi EarlyMon,

I do have debugging and developer options on in the G Pad. That does nothing to make it seeable by the laptop.

It is seeable through BlueTooth, so I suspect it is a USB issue. I even bought another USB cable which removed the "faulty" USB cable possibility.

I will try your suggestions.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
If Developer Options are unavailable, navigate: Apps > Settings > About tablet > Software information then tap Build number seven times.

From a home screen, tap Apps (located at the bottom).

From the Apps tab, tap Settings .
Tap Developer options.

Ensure Developer options are enabled (located in the upper right) then tap USB debugging to enable or disable.

Enabled when a check mark is present.

If presented with Allow USB debugging? screen, tap OK.

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Download sdk-tools.zip into your Downloads folder, unzip with double click in Finder to get sdk-tools folder.

Put sdk-tools folder where you want, right under your HOME folder is a good idea.

In fact, that's the best place to make the rest of the instructions easier.

Finder, Applications, Utilities, launch Terminal.

Inside Terminal say -

cd sdk-tools

It should not give an error if you put sdk-tools under your HOME in the Finder. Note the space after cd.

Now say, space after bash -

bash sdk.sh

Plug in your phone, say -

./adb devices

Keep an eye on the LG screen, say ok if it asks.

You should see your serial number listed for the LG under Devices, not an empty line.

Finder, copy (not move) your apk to the sdk-tools folder.

Terminal say -

./adb install name-of-file.apk

Also - try to install from Android Studio if it has the option after you turn on usb debugging.

It may provide a faster way, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the help.

when i go to the terminal, this happens:

"Inside Terminal say -
cd sdk-tools
It should not give an error if you put sdk-tools under your HOME in the Finder. Note the space after cd."

This happens o.k. the directory in terminal changes.

"Now say, space after bash -
bash sdk.sh"

This throws the error message :

-bash: bash: command not found

So, what is the issue now? Oh my.

I was able to copy my APK file through BlueTooth, I think I'll keep doing it like that for now.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I tried these... and still get the "command not found" error.

So, thanks , but I will have to install these missing Apple development components which you think are missing. Even though I do have XCode installed, and had it install the development components in order for that to even work.

I'll let you know if I solve this.

Upvote 0
Well, thanks EarlyMon.
Nothing you suggested worked. Not your fault I am sure it is my laptop / LG tablet.
Here is what I am doing to be able to install my test apk app on my device:

I enabled Bluetooth on my mac, and on the tablet.

I then simply copy my "my_app_name.apk" to the downloads folder on the tablet.
In the tablet, I navigate using the File Manager app to the downloads folder, and install the app from there.

This works perfectly.

I just wish that Android Studio could see the device. It simply refuses to see it at all. Eventually, when my code fu is much better, I'll sort this out. For now, I have to continue learning / building my application.

In both Android AND iOS. At least the iOS side I have done already, so am only updating the look of the app.

It's the Android side I am now learning, and enjoying it. It is just as simple as the iOS development, since both are based on C++ and Java. So the language is not too different looking.

Wish me luck...

Upvote 0
Last login: Wed May 20 07:03:16 on ttys000

declare -x Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.51RIg4eD1r/Render"

declare -x HOME="/Users/nicholassevilla"

declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

declare -x LOGNAME="nicholassevilla"

declare -x OLDPWD

declare -x PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"

declare -x PWD="/Users/nicholassevilla"

declare -x SHELL="/bin/bash"

declare -x SHLVL="1"

declare -x SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.CZx18EnVNp/Listeners"

declare -x TERM="xterm-256color"

declare -x TERM_PROGRAM="Apple_Terminal"

declare -x TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION="343.7"

declare -x TERM_SESSION_ID="FF1C01BE-BCB7-4762-A294-B506841237FC"

declare -x TMPDIR="/var/folders/pv/pggk4bg12kgdkw36rpbrzfrh0000gn/T/"

declare -x USER="nicholassevilla"

declare -x XPC_FLAGS="0x0"

declare -x XPC_SERVICE_NAME="0"

declare -x __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F5:0x0:0x0"

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:~ nicholassevilla$ .adb install app-debug.apk

-bash: .adb: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:~ nicholassevilla$ cd android-sdk-macosx

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$ bash sdk.sh

-bash: bash: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$ sh sdk.sh

-bash: sh: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$ mv adb-mac adb

-bash: mv: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$ mv fastboot-mac fastboot

-bash: mv: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$ .adb install app-debug.apk

-bash: .adb: command not found

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:android-sdk-macosx nicholassevilla$

Upvote 0
That "declare" stuff appears every time I open terminal. Is that normal?
It's not normally the way a user would configure it, but it's a harmless echo of some conditions being set.

And it seems that your latest Mac installation is different than any I've seen before, so it's not you and it's not me. :)

Editing, just a moment.

Upvote 0
My installation is using the Mac version of the Android SDK, I simply copied the folder to my Home folder as you suggested. When I download the Android SDK and unzip it, it gives me the folder name, which I do not change:

android-sdk-macosx.

Is that even the correct sdk-tools I needed to install?

As to my Mac OS, I am using the latest, Yosemite 10.10.3

Yes, it is "different", but has been mostly stable. LOL.

Upvote 0
My mac is a late 2011 model. Intel etc...

When I enter:

set

I get this:

Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.51RIg4eD1r/Render

BASH=/bin/bash

BASH_ARGC=()

BASH_ARGV=()

BASH_LINENO=()

BASH_SOURCE=()

BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="3" [1]="2" [2]="57" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-apple-darwin14")

BASH_VERSION='3.2.57(1)-release'

COLUMNS=80

DIRSTACK=()

EUID=501

GROUPS=()

HISTFILE=/Users/nicholassevilla/.bash_history

HISTFILESIZE=500

HISTSIZE=500

HOME=/Users/nicholassevilla

HOSTNAME=Nicholass-MacBook-Pro.local

HOSTTYPE=x86_64

IFS=$' \t\n'

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

LINES=48

LOGNAME=nicholassevilla

MACHTYPE=x86_64-apple-darwin14

MAILCHECK=60

OPTERR=1

OPTIND=1

OSTYPE=darwin14

PATH=$'?\200\234/Users/nicholassevilla/.rbenv/bin:\200\235'

PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")

PPID=17916

PROMPT_COMMAND='update_terminal_cwd; '

PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '

PS2='> '

PS4='+ '

PWD=/Users/nicholassevilla

SHELL=/bin/bash

SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor

SHLVL=1

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.CZx18EnVNp/Listeners

TERM=xterm-256color

TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal

TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=343.7

TERM_SESSION_ID=D52A4D44-4AAB-400C-B8D6-297F1C22E648

TMPDIR=/var/folders/pv/pggk4bg12kgdkw36rpbrzfrh0000gn/T/

UID=501

USER=nicholassevilla

XPC_FLAGS=0x0

XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0

_=

__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0x0:0x0

update_terminal_cwd ()

{

local SEARCH=' ';

local REPLACE='%20';

local PWD_URL="file://$HOSTNAME${PWD//$SEARCH/$REPLACE}";

printf '\e]7;%s\a' "$PWD_URL"

}

Upvote 0
I think this is the issue, but I tried it and still no dice:

I only now installed YOUR sdk-tools.

From your link above. I had no idea that is the sdk tools I was supposed to install, I had installed the ANDROID ones, from their website. It simply was not clear what to install and use.

I now have TWO sdk tools installed in my home folder:

android-sdk-macosx

which is the Android Developer sdk from their website.

and YOUR sdk tools:

sdk-tools

which I downloaded from your link:

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

However, none of the commands work at all, under none of those two folders. I do see in your sdk tools folder, the sdk.sh file. It just will not operate in the terminal at all. LOL.

Anyways, I'm done with this for now, since I have a workaround via BlueTooth.

Please don't spend any more tim on this, it will drive you nuts, especially since I am a noob at all of this, and will probably screw things up more than fix them.

Upvote 0
I was able to fix this problem with my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE which I also received for free.

This worked for me on my mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro:

After making sure that usb debugging was set up properly as per the instructions above in this thread, (it seems you've got this), I went into Settings -> Storage. I clicked on the options menu in the top right of the Action Bar (three dots in a vertical line). It showed menu item "USB PC Connection", which I selected.

A verbose message popped up saying "Install PC Programs" and a bunch of other text. I pressed OK. (This message only seems to appear when go into "USB PC Connection" immediately after connecting the USB cable. If you don't see it, it doesn't seem to affect anything.)

Three settings show up:

Charge Tablet
Media Settings (MPT)
Send Images (PTP)

My tablet was set to the "Charge Tablet" setting.

I changed it to "Send Images (PTP)". I got a verbose and somewhat cryptic message that asked if I wanted to use USB debugging. I checked the box confirming that I did. (The MPT setting did not fix the issue, BTW.)

After that, the device showed up in System Information under Hardware->USB as an "LGE Android Phone" rather than as "USB charge only interface". It also started showing up in Android Device monitor and when I typed "adb devices" in iTerm.

Most importantly, it shows up in Device Chooser when I run an app in Android Studio, and it's now possible to use the usual deploy, run & debug sequences within Android Studio.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Inside Terminal say -

Plug in your phone, say -

./adb devices

Thanks! After days of searching, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. That popped up the dialog to allow debugging from my machine. Now I don't need to keep firing up Windows just to code.

Some more facts for anyone else who comes looking:

Device: LG G Pad X 10.1 (also a free device)

adb - I'm using Android Studio to do my development. Since I already have the sdk installed, I found it in ~/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools

The device still doesn't show up in Finder, but Android Studio sees it just fine. Thats all I really care about.

Also, I was previously using Android Studio 1.5 and now I'm using 2.0. I doubt it makes a difference. It was the ads command that made the device prompt me to allow debugging. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones