• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] LG G2 5.0 Lollipop update/port

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix
So since no one seems to be ranting or asking the question about this, then I guess I will. And here's why. I read earlier this past week that LG would be pushing the update for their G3. I figure with that news out there and the idea of tweaking it to work on the G2, that there would be at least a beta out there? I've looked everywhere and I haven't found anything. I'm not sure how hard an LG is to port versus an HTC but I know that there are ports from the One m7, One m8, and One Max that work on the DNA. Anyways, I'm not trying to bitch. I'm just curious as to why there isn't anything out yet? I'm ready to test drive the new 5.0 and I don't really like the nexus devices, nor do I have the money to go buy one out right.

So since no one seems to be ranting or asking the question about this, then I guess I will. And here's why. I read earlier this past week that LG would be pushing the update for their G3. I figure with that news out there and the idea of tweaking it to work on the G2, that there would be at least a beta out there? I've looked everywhere and I haven't found anything. I'm not sure how hard an LG is to port versus an HTC but I know that there are ports from the One m7, One m8, and One Max that work on the DNA. Anyways, I'm not trying to bitch. I'm just curious as to why there isn't anything out yet? I'm ready to test drive the new 5.0 and I don't really like the nexus devices, nor do I have the money to go buy one out right.
Without Lollipop kernel source, and thus a ROM release from LG, the best your gonna get is CM12, and devs are struggling with the VS980 a lot (and to a lesser degree the LS980)... It is working, booting, etc. but no RIL, meaning no calls/data on the mobile network.

Lollipop is the most significant change to Android in a very long time, this isn't like Jellybean to KitKat, this jump is much, much larger under the hood. Although the G2 is similar to the Nexus 5, it isn't similar enough to just port over the code. Developers will probably overcome this hurtle, but it might not be until LG drops the official G2 Lollipop ROM estimated at early first quarter of 2015 for unlocked devices, meaning another 3-4 months for carrier specific variants since they have to go through the carrier evaluation, testing, and "carrier specific customization" (ie. bloatware added).

Most G2 users are painfully aware of this, that is most in the know don't ask... :/

Upvote 0
I was afraid of this being the case. And maybe I would have jumped on the nexus device train if there was advertising for it. I only know about the devices from forums like this and xda. Which is sad I suppose because they seem to be decent devices. Oh well I guess right? I have nothing against CM but I won't put one of those roms on my LG. I loved them for when I had motorola though. Personal preference I suppose. I guess I'll just keep reading up on 5.0 until it hits my wife's phone seeing as she has an S5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones