• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lg G2 - audio out issue - aux out

thejck

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
Please excuse this thread if its new on here as this is my first time on here.
I am not really sure where to start with this issue and I am wondering if its software related.

I have a Lg G2 from sprint.
My car did not come with an aux input and I would a DIY online to solder a aux audio cable directly onto the cd player of the existing car stereo. You then play a audio cd of just silence and as soon as you plug in an external audio source into the aux cable it overrides the cd audio and plays the external source.

This was working fine for a few weeks with my phone including this morning on my way to work. However on the way home from work it would not work properly and the audio was broken up and cracking. At first I thought it was an issue with my aux cable setup however it worked fine with my car-pool buddy who also has the same lg g2 from sprint.
So then I thought it was an issue with the aux jack on my phone but when i tried the aux out on my home audio receiver and my other car which has a built in aux it works.

The only thing I did today was reboot my phone. I did not see any software updates go through. I am on 4.4.2. I saw some references to an android update causing some audio out issues so i thought I would post here to see where to start.

Not really sure if I can walk into a sprint store and tell them what is going on without them looking at me clueless. Thanks for any help

My car did not come with an aux input and I would a DIY online to solder a aux audio cable directly onto the cd player of the existing car stereo. You then play a audio cd of just silence and as soon as you plug in an external audio source into the aux cable it overrides the cd audio and plays the external source.

Sounds totally ghetto. And by that I mean something I would totally do. :D

Not really sure if I can walk into a sprint store and tell them what is going on without them looking at me clueless.

Not a chance. :)

Any chance you were using a different app to play the tunes? That's all I can think of out of the gate since you verified function with a different G2, yet also verified your own G2 on another device. How long did the stop & go music happen? On multiple occasions or just once?

Welcome to AF by the way.

Upvote 0
thanks guys.
i have tried a few different music apps and its the same thing. its almost like it does not have enough voltage to overwrite the signal from the playing CD.
if the phone volume is low then i have almost 90% crackles and pops coming from the car speakers. If i turn the phone volume up all the way then the sound gets better and maybe about 5% crackling and pops.

Upvote 0
so to further muddy up the waters. i came home today and the phone worked just fine in the car.
things i did today.
phone fully charged last night on stock charger. played the phone in my friends car with an xm transmitter. played the phone in another friends car on his aux input. used my headphones at work to listen to music for a while. turned on bluetooth and turned it off. played with running apps to see if there was any other apps causing the interferance. played it in my truck because it uses a DIY aux plugin that is spliced onto the external XM antenna harness cable.
everything sounded fine untill

just for kicks i restarted the phone and it started doing the hiss and crackles and stopped working.
i am trying desperately to reproduce what i did to fix it so i know.

Oh what a mess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones