• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G2 won't consistently play chosen sounds

tindog13

Feb 1, 2011
I have the LG G2, and for volume and hearability reasons I like to use 3rd party sounds for my ringtone and notification tones... unfortunately, I've never been able to get it to remember my chosen sounds. Right now, but not always, I'm using Zedge... I choose the sound I want and select it in Messaging App settings and in the phone settings... occasionally it will use that sound, but not always or even often, it usually reverts to the default notification tone which I more often than not cannot hear. Also, I only get a tone at all if my phone is in lock, if the screen is open I get no notification sounds at all. That sounds like a setting thing, but I can't find anything specific to that... and, anytime I reboot the phone, the messaging app will remember the chosen tone, but the phone will always revert to it's internal default... is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Hello!
I've had that issue once and I beat my brains out trying to figure it out.
Come to find out, believe it or not, it was a 3rd party app I used to control volume levels. I don't even remember the app. :eek:
I've since switched volume control apps and no longer have the notification switch issue :)

All I can advise is, if you use a volume control app, get rid of it, or try a different one.
I use Audio Manager fwiw :)
Just a thought;)

Upvote 0
Let me ask this... is the software designed to not play notification tones if the screen is open, only from lock screen? I tried Audio Manager, and now I have no sound profile apps on the phone at all and when I get a text, and the screen is open, I get no notification sounds. Quite frankly, I can't figure for sure what the conditions are when certain things happen or don't happen... sometimes I get tones, sometimes I don't.

Upvote 0
When you say "screen open" I assume you mean the screens you see after unlocking the device from the lockscreen correct?
You should get notification sounds from both the screen off, screen on, lockscreen, etc.
What are your current notifications set at? What I mean is, not the app you just installed, but the sound settings in menu/settings/sounds?
Do you have issues when no volume control apps are installed?

Upvote 0
That's what I thought... right now I have no sound profile or audio managing apps installed and the behavior didn't change. I seem to get tones randomly, sometimes when I get tones it's the tone I've chosen, sometimes it's the LG default tone, but usually nothing. My settings are; under Sounds I have Sound selected... volumes are all at 100%... vibrate strength (which really sucks on this phone anyway) are all at 100%... my ringtone is a user choice ringtone and it seems to remain reliably... the notifications tone is a third party tone from Zedge, which I hear just find when I choose it, but not when a notification comes in... but I've tried an internal sound as well and it behaves the same way

Upvote 0
Just throwing this out there, but have you tried clearing the cache via recovery?

Edit: I think I've gone thru every setting listed to see what I can find on my device and I'm not coming up with any other ideas :(

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, perhaps boot into safe mode and see if the issue persists. Safe Mode runs the device as if no user apps are installed. That will eliminate an app you have installed being the culprit.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-87334/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones