• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 Data Hog

I recently bought an lgg3 and went from using 3 gigs (at most) to almost 10 gigs in one month. All settings are the same from my last phone but google services used almost 8gb alone and it is back ground data. If I disable back ground data I do not get notifications from other non google aps. Please help

certainly if you are talking about the first month you've had it, then you are using it more, you are installing apps restoring apps, etc., also cloud backup of photos etc on a new phone usually mean the pictures you transferred over are double backed up since whatever service you use does not have the same index from device to device to sync. If you do this not on wi-fi the first month usage will bound to be higher.

Reactions: bolski
Upvote 0
Same here. If I use up my data, it's because I did so either downloading tons of apps, or watching on-line videos, streaming music, etc.

Also, do you backup your photos to the cloud? If so, check to ensure it's set to only do so when connected to WiFi. That could also be an issue if you take a lot of pictures and/or videos, especially if they are HD.

Upvote 0
WiFi is your friend. I consume hundreds of GB casting Netflix, hbo, starz, Showtime and Google play movies. However it's all over wifi. I'll use a couple hundred of mb of cellular data.

My situation is I can't guarantee to be using WiFi, and I don't have an unlimited data plan, it's metered, so I don't want all background services having carte blanche on cellular data. So I've whitelisted anything I want to be always on, e.g. IM, weather and news apps, and everything else is WiFi only. I'm often streaming, music, TV, movies, etc, as well, but only when I'm at home, office or in a hotel.

Upvote 0
Same here. If I use up my data, it's because I did so either downloading tons of apps, or watching on-line videos, streaming music, etc.

Also, do you backup your photos to the cloud? If so, check to ensure it's set to only do so when connected to WiFi. That could also be an issue if you take a lot of pictures and/or videos, especially if they are HD.
Yes it is only set to Wi-Fi back up. I don't stream videos and I absent streamed any music on this phone

Upvote 0
The

94th my thing is I downloaded all my apps the first 2 days I had the phone. I got it January 2. I wasn't using hardly any data and then all the sudden around the13th of the month it began eating data. I had installed 3 new apps the day before that. So when I realized it I uninstalled all of them but it didn't stop eating g the data after I I installed them

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones