• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G3 Microphone and Speaker issues

lexluthor

Android Expert
May 15, 2010
When my speaker is on and I'm on a call, my mic doesn't work.

Just got my Verizon G3 yesterday. I have it rooted and have Xposed and G3 Tweaksbox. I don't think I froze anything that would have to do with the mic/speakerphone. I did disable all xposed modules and unfroze all my frozen apps, rebooted and same thing.

Mic works fine otherwise, so it can't be a hardware issue.

Any ideas? Can anyone with a Verizon G3 confirm they don't have this issue?

I'd really rather not factory reset at this point, but I'd think if this was a bug, I'd have seen other people post about it by now.

Just got my Verizon G3 yesterday. I have it rooted and have Xposed and G3 Tweaksbox. I don't think I froze anything that would have to do with the mic/speakerphone. I did disable all xposed modules and unfroze all my frozen apps, rebooted and same thing.

I'd really rather not factory reset at this point, but I'd think if this was a bug, I'd have seen other people post about it by now.

I do not have that issue. Has to be something with your unit specifically. However, I will not that I am not rooted.

Upvote 0
I have been using the G3 now for a couple weeks with Verizon. I do have a few issues that seem to be happening more frequently though.

First problem is that when talking to people occasionally they will say "I can't hear you" when the phone is right where it should be. They state that it sounds extremely quiet as if I am sitting across the room talking to them.

Secondly, when I put my phone on speakerphone to talk everyone tells me that they hear themselves (echo). This happens every single time I put someone on speakerphone.

I do not use a blue tooth device so the problems are directly related to the phone itself. I saw a few threads where people were having some issues with this but they soon got on to other topics. Is anyone else having this same issue? Please keep this thread for non blue tooth mic and speaker issues.

Upvote 0
I had a speakerphone mic problem that is probably unrelated, but I'll share.

When I tried to have a call using the speakerphone, the other party couldn't hear me. Apparently, there must be separate mics if you are talking regularly vs speakerphone on.

For me, it turned out to be defective phone hardware and I got it exchanged.

Good luck.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I have been seeing more people having problems with the microphone specifically on Verizon. You can now Google "LG g3 microphone issues" and see other forums talking about the same issue. Looks like a phone swap does nothing to fix it as it may be a software issue specifically in the voice enhancement setting under the call tab in settings. Hopefully it could be fixed with an update.

If anyone else is using this phone on Verizon please ask who you are talking with if it ever sounds like your phone cuts out. You may be having this issue too and just not know it yet. I have just turned on voice enhancement as the factory setting has it unchecked. I will use it for a few days and try to report back.

Upvote 0
I have been seeing more people having problems with the microphone specifically on Verizon. You can now Google "LG g3 microphone issues" and see other forums talking about the same issue. Looks like a phone swap does nothing to fix it as it may be a software issue specifically in the voice enhancement setting under the call tab in settings. Hopefully it could be fixed with an update.

If anyone else is using this phone on Verizon please ask who you are talking with if it ever sounds like your phone cuts out. You may be having this issue too and just not know it yet. I have just turned on voice enhancement as the factory setting has it unchecked. I will use it for a few days and try to report back.
will watch for that, but my issue was definitely bad hardware. The speakerphone mic didn't work at all.

Upvote 0
There is definitely something amok with the microphones in these phones. With my first LG, people would complain that I was cutting out all the time despite my signal being strong. It got worse to where I was now hearing people on the other end cutting out.

Swapped the phone at BB for a new one and that problem disappeared.

However, I do have people claiming I sound far away no matter how close I put the mic to my mouth.
This is intermittent and usually re-positioning the phone fixes it.
The phone is in an OtterBox .

The one thing that is troubling though, is that when "Voice Enhancement" is enabled, I hear a clicking or popping noise, kind of like when you overload a loud speaker, when talking OR when the other person is talking.

Turning off "Voice Enhancement" makes that go away.

So something is not right.
I don't want to exchange this phone yet again and get something worse.
I suspect this is a software/firmware problem.
At least I'm hoping.

I'm on Verizon BTW

Upvote 0
There is definitely something amok with the microphones in these phones. With my first LG, people would complain that I was cutting out all the time despite my signal being strong. It got worse to where I was now hearing people on the other end cutting out.

However, I do have people claiming I sound far away no matter how close I put the mic to my mouth.

The one thing that is troubling though, is that when "Voice Enhancement" is enabled, I hear a clicking or popping noise, kind of like when you overload a loud speaker, when talking OR when the other person is talking.

At least I'm hoping.

I'm on Verizon BTW

I don't think your sweeping generalization is correct. There seems to be a mic problem-with VERIZON phones. I am on Sprint and people tell me I sound crystal clear. Sounds like whatever tweaks Verizon made to their version are messing up the mic.

Upvote 0
I have been using the G3 now for a couple weeks with Verizon. I do have a few issues that seem to be happening more frequently though.

First problem is that when talking to people occasionally they will say "I can't hear you" when the phone is right where it should be. They state that it sounds extremely quiet as if I am sitting across the room talking to them.

Secondly, when I put my phone on speakerphone to talk everyone tells me that they hear themselves (echo). This happens every single time I put someone on speakerphone.

I do not use a blue tooth device so the problems are directly related to the phone itself. I saw a few threads where people were having some issues with this but they soon got on to other topics. Is anyone else having this same issue? Please keep this thread for non blue tooth mic and speaker issues.

I have this same problem I called LG and they told me yes we know send the phone back and it will be repaired I told them to send me one already repaired and I would send this one back and they said that's not how there warranty works. Yup ill never buy another LG. Call Verizon and they replaced it. Same problem called them again and they called LG and they told them the same thing they told me.
just a note. If I reboot the phone (turn it off then on)it works for a while

Upvote 0
I have this same problem I called LG and they told me yes we know send the phone back and it will be repaired I told them to send me one already repaired and I would send this one back and they said that's not how there warranty works. Yup ill never buy another LG. Call Verizon and they replaced it. Same problem called them again and they called LG and they told them the same thing they told me.

You should have called Verizon first in the first place since you're likely still in their return/exchange period ,and LG is right, you don't get to demand a new phone while refusing to send the problem one back first. That's not how exchanges work. LG would be crazy to send out new phones without requiring the defective one be returned first. Tons of people would get the new phone and disappear, refusing to send the bad one back. I doubt LG will miss you.

In the future, get insurance for your phones, either through Verizon or Square Trade. It's worth it.

Upvote 0

Mine is doing the same thing and this is a brand new phone. My original breaking up problem was fixed with a new replacement phone from Best Buy.

However, with this phone, people will tell me I sound very low or far away or under water etc. I never had these problems with my previous phone a Droid Razr Maxx.

I did some research and I see others reporting various call quality problems and they seem to be very similar to what I get.

It doesn't happen all the time but is intermittent and usually if I switch the phone to speaker phone and then back it goes away. Also I have never had it happen when using the BT in my car and that's driving 25 miles while talking on a conference call.

Since I have never bought a phone (Verizon) from Bestbuy before I'm not sure what I am in for at this point when I try to get a new phone. I am a very, very long time Verizon customer though. I go back to before the Motorola Star Tac phones.

So what is my best course of action?
I need this phone for business.

Original phone bought 7/25.
Exchanged for this one 8/1
No warranty other than the LG 1 year.

Who do I call?
Should I sign up for a Verizon warranty, wait 2 weeks and then ask for an exchange?

I'm concerned with getting someone else's problem.

TIA for any advice.

Upvote 0
You should have called Verizon first in the first place since you're likely still in their return/exchange period ,and LG is right, you don't get to demand a new phone while refusing to send the problem one back first. That's not how exchanges work. LG would be crazy to send out new phones without requiring the defective one be returned first. Tons of people would get the new phone and disappear, refusing to send the bad one back. I doubt LG will miss you.

In the future, get insurance for your phones, either through Verizon or Square Trade. It's worth it.

Actually, lots of companies do exactly what the poster wanted to do. They take your credit card, and put a hold on it for the full purchase price. If you return the old one, they release the hold. If you don't, you get charged the full amount. No risk to the vendor at all.

Upvote 0

Hey: My big issue was the speakerphone. I use it quite a bit. Anytime that I can. Everyone was hearing themselves and saying it was annoying. I didn't do anything about it. After reading this forum, I decided to uncheck voice enhancement and voice privacy and now it works perfectly. No echo, no complaints. That's the only issue I had. Calls were clear, and no one complained of not being able to hear me. I'm with Verizon and have been for many years, before they were even Verizon. I travel constantly and have found after trying all the networks that Verizon has the most extensive coverage. Some of my friends have other networks and sometimes I can't reach them. All in all, the LG G3 is the best phone I have ever had. Can't remember the last time I had a removeable battery.

Upvote 0

At least I'm hoping.

I'm on Verizon BTW

I had a similar issue with in call volume and speaker. Go to Google /settings / voice and turn off 2nd option for ok Google from any screen and it will fix any issues with speaker and call volume.

Reactions: C4Steve and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with my G3. I would call people and they were unable to hear me on the other end. I could hear them fine. This happened with the hardest, speaker phone or bluetooth.

Solution: Turn off the "from any screen" option for "OK Google" detection.

Google Now > Settings > Voice > "OK Google" detection > from any screen

Turned off it will still work in Google Now and on the home screen with the widget.

Calls are all clear now and everyone says they can hear me fine.

Reactions: C4Steve
Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with my G3. I would call people and they were unable to hear me on the other end. I could hear them fine. This happened with the hardest, speaker phone or bluetooth.

Solution: Turn off the "from any screen" option for "OK Google" detection.

Google Now > Settings > Voice > "OK Google" detection > from any screen

Turned off it will still work in Google Now and on the home screen with the widget.

Calls are all clear now and everyone says they can hear me fine.

Could you give me some specifics on how to find the Google or Google now and then settings area on my phone? I'm having the same issue with speaker phone but don't understand how to get to where you and sherry are saying to fix the problem. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Could you give me some specifics on how to find the Google or Google now and then settings area on my phone? I'm having the same issue with speaker phone but don't understand how to get to where you and sherry are saying to fix the problem. Thanks so much!
Go into your Google Now app. (see pic) Open it up. Look for the "3-bar" icon at the left top..that will bring up a screent to go into settings:
Screenshot_2015-06-04-15-55-24.PNG
then like @MurphysMagnet posted, Voice > "OK Google" detection > from any screen
:)

Upvote 0
I've got a similar issue only a bit more advanced. Here's the issue, I can answer or make calls without issues but, with either case, if I hit the speakerphone button all the audio for the call cuts out. No Mic, no speaker, almost like they are on hold. It wouldn't be a big deal to me but even if I turn off speakerphone or try any other button the audio doesn't come back. Only option at that point is to end the call and call back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones