1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

LG G3 Tips & TricksTips

1. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like anyone's started a Tips & Tricks thread yet, so I thought I'd kick one off!

Advertisement
    :
  2. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

In addition to using a knock code to unlock the screen, a double-tap on the notification area will lock the screen (it works on any unoccupied screen area, but this isn't easy if you're on a home screen full of apps, or have an app open). This means you can unlock and re-lock the phone without even picking it up.
    Ilya, ProudGrL, Jdub333 and 1 other person like this.
  3. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

My phone came with McAfee Mobile Security pre-installed. I was going to ditch this for Avast until I discovered that McAfee has a "Lock Down Device" option. This claims to "Block Factory Reset, Rooting and USB port." This is in addition to the usual Security Scan, Backup and Find Device functions.

On my previous phone I used Avast to achieve the equivalent of the Lock Down Device function, but the phone had to be rooted to use this. With McAfee and the G3, rooting is not necessary.

p.s. Interestingly, the website for remote phone tracking and control is a specific LG/McAfee one.
    CaptainFaldior likes this.
  4. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic! Guide

T-Mobile has been using Lookout Security for their phones (in conjunction with the Jump service) since I've been with them. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Lookout or go with McAffee.
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Still has LOOKOUT on-board.
  6. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

I had tried several different security apps.

Then upon buying my Note 3 at T-Mobile, I found Outlook to be my favorite. Reinforced by a few good articles in the blogosphere I decided to use it on all my Androids, it's been great.
  7. Maine Coon

Maine Coon Well-Known Member

How to disable Lookout:

/Settings/Security/Phone administrators, Disable.
    MotoMoto, K4KAI and jetsfan2014 like this.
  8. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member

Take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the volume down button on the back at the same time.
  9. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

It took me a week or so to get used to the keys being on the rear of the phone, but now I like them. I've tried taking screenshots in the way you suggest but find that quite awkward. I prefer using Quick Memo+ to do it... just pull down the toggles from the notification area and press the Quick Memo+ button. Then press the key on the right-hand side, one in from the QM+ settings. This'll grab a screenshot. It's a bit more long-winded but at least I don't get the volume slider showing up in the screenshots!
    AntimonyER likes this.
  10. markfm

markfm Well-Known Member

G3 recognizes a flash drive without needing add-on software. You just need a standard USB OTG cable :)
    americonium likes this.
  11. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I don't have my phone yet, but just read a review that stated if you long press the down volume, it will activate the camera.
    Mr. Link and ProudGrL like this.
  12. jeff327

jeff327 Well-Known Member

You can take a screen shot by dragging the home button to the right and stopping on the quick memo icon.
  13. dubie7006

dubie7006 Well-Known Member

Is there any way, without loading a 3rd party app like Lightflow, to change the color of the LED for various processes like calls, SMS, etc?
  14. papagil39

papagil39 New Member

15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I like LG's Clip Tray, but it's too easy to cut and paste sensitive information, such as passwords, and then forget it's visible to anyone who gets their hands on your phone.

I suggest doing a follow-up long-press after pasting, so you can select "Clip Tray" and then delete all contents.

What's really needed, of course, is a utility that allows users to set a latency so all Clip Tray contents are automatically wiped after, say, ten minutes.
    DroDough likes this.
  16. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Good idea. Find someone to write an xposed app for that.
  17. grdh20

grdh20 Well-Known Member

Must have done that in my pocket yesterday and all of a sudden I felt a bad burning on my leg and the phone was blistering hot and the LED flash was stuck on I guess and . . . ouch :nurse:.. seriously hot. Gotta be more careful or wear looser pants or something...
  18. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

toad6386 likes this.
  19. Jdub333

Jdub333 Well-Known Member

I was disappointed to find that knocking to turn off the screen didn't work with Nova (except in the notification bar), but I found out you can download an app called "Screen Off" (there are several, I'm using the one by icillin) and then set a double tap action in Nova (Prime only) to activate that app. Works like a charm!
    shadders139 likes this.
  20. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

You can spread the keyboard apart when in landscape mode. 1406850931131.jpg
  21. thunder18

thunder18 Well-Known Member

There are 3 display options for the recent apps screen. One for Android purists that displays recent apps in a single column:
    1407001492560.jpg
    One that doubles if to 2 columns:
    1407001550831.jpg
    And finally, one that displays 3 columns of recent apps:
    1407001607485.jpg
    The display type can be changed by pinching/expanding the screen with 2 fingers.
  22. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

Thanks for this tip, it's very handy.

I've enjoyed Nova Prime (I always buy pay Apps if offered because I believe in paying developers) on my last few Androids and really like it.
  23. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Just a side note though... Nova does it right. Totally functional app for free... Many great extras in the paid version. Just saying... That is how it should always work IMO
  24. Maine Coon

Maine Coon Well-Known Member

I use Apex launcher and I like it.

Try to convince me that Nova is better.