• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G5 third party apps sounds/notifications

Hi guys,

So I just switched from being an iPhone user to an LG G5 owner. I liked my 5s, but I didn't want to spend lots of more money for another phone that was going to be the same.
So I switched to android and I'm still trying to figure things out.
The one issue I have is the original sounds from third party apps, like whatsapp and facebook.

I don't have them and all the notifications sounds the same.
Even push notifications from news apps like the AP sound the same.

I've read that I might need to download an notifications app?

Any idea on this, is this what happens to every android phone?

Please help.

Thanks!

Hello there!
Although I don't use either of those mentioned apps, there should be an option within each app to specify the notification sound you want to hear.
I base that upon other 3rd party apps such as my messaging/email/calendar apps--all of which have an option to set individual notifications.

I would assume that the apps you mention do not have that option?

I also have the G5 so your thread caught my eye :)
What carrier are you on?

Also, welcome to AF!!! :D

Upvote 0
Hello there!
Although I don't use either of those mentioned apps, there should be an option within each app to specify the notification sound you want to hear.
I base that upon other 3rd party apps such as my messaging/email/calendar apps--all of which have an option to set individual notifications.

I would assume that the apps you mention do not have that option?

I also have the G5 so your thread caught my eye :)
What carrier are you on?

Also, welcome to AF!!! :D

Hello there,

Bought this phone three days ago, so I still have doubts :)

Yeah, most of the apps I mentioned have the option to specify the notification sound, the problem when I go there it only shows LG sounds and not the original sound of the app.
I have like a master sound for every notification - email, whatsapp, NPR, AP, facebook.

Been tinkering for hours with no avail. I just want the default sound of every app, but it doesn't appear.

I'm on T-mobile btw. Apart from that, the phone seems really cool. I like the camera and how fast it is.

Another issue is that it barely charges if you use the phone at the same time.

Upvote 0
I'm using outlook, but I also get the same sound.

For example for push notifications by news apps.

I use the Associated Press app and when they send a push alert, I used to get a specific sound for that app. Like their own ringtone and I would know it was a push notification for them.

Now, whenever I get a push notification, regular messages, emails, whatever, it's the same sound.

Yes, I can change the sound for every of those apps, but only with LG options, not "native" sounds from the original app.

Don't know if I'm clear

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Yeah, with the iphone I "used to" get specific sounds without doing anything, it would be by default.

I did update android the same day I got the LG G5, but have not installed any app that I think is conflicting with sounds. Just social media and news apps.

Thanks for the help btw.
ok...so the default sounds for FB on the Iphone are not available on your LG G5 correct? You are only provided with the sounds provided by LG, on your device.
In other words, the FB notification on the Iphone is not the same as the G5, and also not available as a sound option.

Sorry if I sound repetitious, or kinda dense but I have a few irons in my fire at the moment :)

There is another option to get the sound you desire, therefore more options to choose from when assigning a sound to a specific app. And that is to download an app called Zedge, available in the PlayStore. Zedge has thousands of notification sounds available for free download.
Then, when you go to your FB app, and want to change the sound, 2 options will appear to choose sounds--- Zedge or the stock sounds.

Upvote 0
ok...so the default sounds for FB on the Iphone are not available on your LG G5 correct? You are only provided with the sounds provided by LG, on your device.
In other words, the FB notification on the Iphone is not the same as the G5, and also not available as a sound option.

Sorry if I sound repetitious, or kinda dense but I have a few irons in my fire at the moment :)

There is another option to get the sound you desire, therefore more options to choose from when assigning a sound to a specific app. And that is to download an app called Zedge, available in the PlayStore. Zedge has thousands of notification sounds available for free download.
Then, when you go to your FB app, and want to change the sound, 2 options will appear to choose sounds--- Zedge or the stock sounds.

Yeah, default sounds not available of any app.
Just downloaded Zedge and will try to modify every app. Kind of annoying though :O
Many thanks for the help!!!

Upvote 0
Yeah, default sounds not available of any app.
Just downloaded Zedge and will try to modify every app. Kind of annoying though :O
Many thanks for the help!!!
No problem. :)
Annoying yeah, most of the stock sounds are, in my opinion anyway, pathetic. Some are ok, but Zedge is my choice to pick sounds.

Upvote 0
No problem. :)
Annoying yeah, most of the stock sounds are, in my opinion anyway, pathetic. Some are ok, but Zedge is my choice to pick sounds.

I figured it out!!!

OMG, took hours of tinkering!

It all about the permissions. All the apps were not allowed to do anything, so when I did allow some stuff, the default sounds began to appear :)

Yay!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones