LG Motion 4G - Factory Reset / Uninstalling AppsSupport

1. djslakor

djslakor Member

LG Motion 4G just arrived.

If one does a factory reset, will the various Metro apps come back to the way they were when I originally powered on the phone? How about if you uninstall the Metro apps, would they come back with a factory reset?

If not, where could one get these apps again, such as Metro411?

Thank you!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

you might have better luck on the lg motion forum
  3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

^^Agree with Shabby. Moved to Motion forum.
    sammyz likes this.
  4. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

niteridet likes this.
  5. djslakor

djslakor Member

I'm not worried about losing apps or data I installed myself, I'm just curious if all of the MetroPCS apps (such as MStudio, Metro411, etc. etc.) will be present after a factory reset.
  6. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

No they will not if you uninstalled them
  7. djslakor

djslakor Member

I went ahead and tested it out.

I uninstalled a lot of the preinstalled apps such as Metro411, MStudio, etc., then did a factory restore. Upon reset, all of those apps were back, the same as it was when I took it out of the box.

I'm not sure why people answer questions with false answers if they've never tried it. :p
  8. Gman9831

By any chance did you disable them but didnt realize the button said disable?
  9. djslakor

djslakor Member

No, I specifically hit "Uninstall" on the MetroPCS apps from the main Settings->Apps menu.

After the factory reset, all Metro apps were back.
  10. Gman9831

Don't see how that's remotely possible since the phone doesn't automatically have the stock OS backed up somewhere within it where it can pick & choose missing things to add back.
  11. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

The script in /vendor/bin/ restores the bloat that is stored in /system/apps/bootup....
  12. Gman9831

Is that only on the motion?
  13. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Every phone with factory reset ability always restores any apps that came stock unless they were removed with root.
    TransitGuy4500 and niteridet like this.
  14. Gman9831

Guess thats why then, because I remove mine with root
  15. twogbsd

Yes, I think so....

If you remove some bloat apps in /system/app , then factory reset, the system will run a script in /vendor/bin/ that copies the apks in /system/apps/bootup/ back to /system/app/ ;)
    niteridet likes this.
  16. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Nah, it's every phone :p
    twogbsd likes this.
  17. TJayDroid

TJayDroid Well-Known Member

On a quasi-related note...

I might be considering a 'clean sweep' in the near future before doing the "e" firmware update. I've never factory reset a phone before :)o say what??). If I do so, do I need to write anything down beforehand (like IMEI, etc.)? Or does a factory reset simply restore the phone to its out-of-the-box condition when it comes to apps/data but be completely connected to the MetroPCS network and usable for phone calls immediately after resetting?

I guess what I'm asking is whether I'll have to call MetroPCS to re-establish service.

Thanks for any info.
  18. twogbsd

Nope. You don't need to do a factory reset, your settings and apps will be saved. And depending on how you update, you can keep root :)

But really, you don't need to factory reset, but if you want to, then go ahead ;)
  19. djslakor

djslakor Member

TJayAndroid,

I factory reset my Motion 4G just to see what would happen. As you suspected, it simply returns the phone back to the fresh out of box state. Your phone will still work with MetroPCS, you don't have to call them to reactive it or anything like that. You will however lose all of your data and user installed apps. Additionally, if you removed any of the MetroPCS bloatware, it will be back.

From someone who actually did it ...
    niteridet and TJayDroid like this.
  20. TJayDroid

TJayDroid Well-Known Member

djslakor:

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.
  21. niteridet

niteridet Member

I rooted my LG motion in ubuntu 12.04 running through Acer C7 Chromebook OS. i see this post is alittle old, but I really need some help.

I installed this app through the play store:

which "bricked" my phone (note: after running the app then it reboots phone, which made my phone reboot to a blank screen and then became unresponsive)

I emailed the developer of this app, and they responded with these instructions:

So far I have downloaded and installed a program named Eclipse with JDT in the terminal; then i kept following instructions from this guide:

only until the third section of number 3, simply because I am new to linux, developement, and running code, I don't know how to look up the directory in terminal to locate files.
    Am I on the right track here because I don't have many resources to research having been already looking through numorous forums and asking a lot of questions. I need you help. And if you happen to know how to unbrick or uninstall in ubuntu - HOLLA BACK PLEASE.
    thx.
    :afraid:
  22. Spdfreak34

Spdfreak34 Well-Known Member

23. niteridet

niteridet Member