• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Nexus 4 on vm?

As mentioned, you technically have to have a Virgin Mobile phone. There are people who have claimed to have moved Sprint phones to VM (typically through ESN spoofing) but the legality of that is questionable.

Being able to use an unlocked phone is an advantage that GSM carriers have over the CDMA carriers. The reason for this is that GSM phones use a SIM card to store provider and account information (it is independent of the phone), on CDMA phones that information has to be programmed into the phone. Some people on a GSM carrier actually use multiple phones (though one at a time), just moving the SIM card to the phone they want to use that day.

Upvote 0
Off topic, but why is virgin still using CDMA. If they run off sprint shouldnt they just use GSM?

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA and I'm not aware of either of them having plans to change (other than their adoption of LTE). MetroPCS is CDMA but is planning to switch to GSM, especially if their merger with T-Mobile goes through as expected. AT&T and T-Mobile are the large US carriers that use GSM.

In terms of the larger prepaid carriers, Virgin Mobile/Boost (both owned by Sprint), Republic, and Cricket are CDMA; Straight Talk (which uses either AT&T or T-Mobile's network) and T-Mobile are GSM. And Metro, again, which is CDMA now but will be switching to GSM.

Upvote 0
Thanx for the welcome. :)
I Realise they are different companies. Just putting out the info so people know it is possible to run the Nexus 4 here in Canada

I'm pretty sure that on this site there is only one Virgin Mobile forum (right? anyone?) so putting info about VM Canada in here is fine. The thread title is "LG Nexus 4 on vm" so your post looks on topic to me. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones