• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Optimus 2X / P990 Reviews and Videos

BatfinkUK1

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Welcome to the LG Optimus 2X Aka LG P990, LG Star news ,review and video thread.:)

As new reviews and videos for this hotly anticipated phone roll in please use this thread to update the community.

As these reviews land please remember to take them with a "pinch of salt". At the moment all that is being reviewed are "pre release" versions. And with 2.3 Gingerbread slated shortly after release thing are going to get a lot better.

UPDATE:
LG have sorted the software instability out:):D:):D:). LG Announces 4-Pronged Mobile Strategy for 2011 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

(Big thanks to phaet2112 for finding this out):)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nice seemingly impartial video and photo page:
LG Optimus 2X (Star): Hands-on the first dual-core smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Great 1080P Video demo (bit noisy). Remember to set stream to 1080P!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9143lbG0k8

--------------------------------------------------------------

Short but sweet review from an ex-tester.
Reviews : LG Optimus 2X - eXpansys UK

--------------------------------------------------------------

Great video and feature peak from LG Germany. A very small part this has been kindly translated by aMpeX :) on another thread relating to flash and micro SD. (German language audio) It would be good if we could arrange an English audio version.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ooYGB6MpI

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Short and a little bile inducing video from theofficalLGgirl (check out the 1080P dance). I thought cazman and myself were excited about this phone until I watched this one. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvY3Fo_9IYQ&feature=player_detailpage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good video review from HDblog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89v7Wtb53kw&feature=player_embedded#!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice "Hands On" from trusted reviews.
LG Optimus 2X Hands On - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I envy you guys in U.K getting first hands on it. Any ideas when it is going come to U.S?
I like it better than Moto's Atrix/Bionic since they lock down their bootloaders.

The Atrix looks good but it could be very expensive, I like the laptop accessory. I can see our field sales team at work going crazy over that. Being able to run citrix receiver is top notch and sure to bring a lot of corporate sales.
We are going to see a real blurring of the boundaries between phone, tablet and pc in 2011.:D

Do you know for sure that LG wont lock the bootloader?

Upvote 0
The Atrix looks good but it could be very expensive, I like the laptop accessory. I can see our field sales team at work going crazy over that. Being able to run citrix receiver is top notch and sure to bring a lot of corporate sales.
We are going to see a real blurring of the boundaries between phone, tablet and pc in 2011.:D

Do you know for sure that LG wont lock the bootloader?

LG aren't known for doing that, I hope not anyways, I didn't buy the insurance on this thing so that I could use the LG UI!

Upvote 0
Now it looks like some U.S reviewers like phonedog.com, phonearena.com got their hands on it. But none of them mention which carrier it's working on. What's up with that?

Thanks for the heads up, good little video at phonearena.com. Phonedog.com looks like a stock noisy CES video.

I cant help with US carriers, sorry. LG dont seem to be shouting about this phone even in the countries of initial release? Good job they've got us. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrtG5Sck6w4&feature=player_embedded

Upvote 0
Now it looks like some U.S reviewers like phonedog.com, phonearena.com got their hands on it. But none of them mention which carrier it's working on. What's up with that?

Sadly (if you're a T-Mobile customer - which I am :() it looks to be going to AT&T, according to AndroidSpin.

AndroidSPIN T-Mobile and AT&T to get new Android phones from LG?

Hopefully they are wrong (or that their source is). I guess time will tell, maybe we'll know more in a couple of weeks at MWC.

Upvote 0
Sadly (if you're a T-Mobile customer - which I am :() it looks to be going to AT&T, according to AndroidSpin.

AndroidSPIN T-Mobile and AT&T to get new Android phones from LG?

Hopefully they are wrong (or that their source is). I guess time will tell, maybe we'll know more in a couple of weeks at MWC.

I'm with Verizon now, so I will need to switch my carrier anyway to get this phone unless LG makes CDMA Verizon of this one. How is T-mobile like for data signal reception inside building? I heard that they are worse than AT&T because of higher frequency they are using for HSPA+.

Upvote 0

Real good video comparing the Tegra 2 gpu to another one. Nice. Very nice...and I'm not saying that just cuz it was an iPhone...lol

T Mobile huh....Verizon and T Mobile isnt so good where I live n work. I may have to leave Verizon and go with Sprint or AT&T. This sucks....AT&T has a phone I really like, and looks like T mobile will too..

I really like the UI on this phone. It looks like a combo of Sense UI and Touchwiz. I am a really big fan of Motorola phones...but they might lose a customer this time. The UI combined with how the phone looks, and its fast...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones