LG Optimus Elite w/ damaged power buttonSupport

1. TimDunc

TimDunc New Member

My wife managed to spill some coffee on her LG Optimus Elite. It's currently still working, except the power button no longer works. She can't use the power button to wake up or power off/on the phone. She's currently using the trick (found here, and thanks) of plugging in the charger and quickly unplugging it to wake it up. I've disassembled the phone (and don't think I made it worse in the process) and did find some corrosion on the underside of the circuit board next to the power button. I've cleaned it up with some alcohol, but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas on how to fix the power button? I've read in a couple places it may be possible to re-map one of the buttons, but the phone isn't rooted (and I would rather not try). Is re-mapping a button a possibility?

Advertisement
  2. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

You can remap one of the front buttons but you still won't be able to wake the phone with them because they don't work unless the phone is awake. Try this, my girlfriend used it on her LG Spectrum and it worked ok.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.maicas.android.wsleep

It wakes the phone using the proximity sensor.
    sneaky_1 likes this.
  3. Dark One

Actually you might be able to remap one of the volume buttons to power. I'll test and see if that works.
  4. Dark One

I was able to remap the volume buttons to power but I can't get them to wake the phone, so Tap Tap App is probably your best bet. Make sure she never lets the battery die because you might not be able to turn it back on again.
    TimDunc likes this.
  5. TimDunc

TimDunc New Member

TapTap is working pretty well. It's a little finicky, but I suspect that's more the phone than the app. And definitely better than buying a new phone. Thanks for the app suggestion.
  6. Dark One

It was the same way on the Spectrum. It seemed like frantically waving my thumb in front of the proximity sensor was the best way to get it to work.