1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

LG Optimus (GT540) upgrade 1.6 to 2.1 Is it possible??Support

1. deadly.scorpion

deadly.scorpion New Member

hi all
    though i found a similar thread but niether were there any replies , + ive or -ive and also the query was not exactly same
    does neone has ne clue ? coz gsmarena.com team says not possible but one review at gsm arena says it is possible
    please guide me as am planning to buy LG Optimus tommorow
    and if its not possible wat are the dis advantages that i wud face using android 1.6 (donut)
    thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. spacem0rph

spacem0rph New Member

i got an lg optimus too...and would like to update to android 2.1...but got no info about it if posibble or not...still searching the net for hints...
  3. he6rt6gr6m

he6rt6gr6m Well-Known Member

2.1 IS due soon, as it has been in beta testing for some time. I have been told 15th September, but it should be with us before Christmas, at a guess.

It's DEFINITELY coming, because a few Russian and Thai sites have posted pictures of the Optimus with 2.1 on them.

[​IMG]

(EDIT: 15th confirmed by Greek CS for LG, apparently: 2.1 release due in July 2010 - Android @ MoDaCo)
  4. nickhobbs

nickhobbs New Member

How will we know when the upgrade is ready?
  5. he6rt6gr6m

Just check here, Modaco and the LG website.
    vasko lg540 likes this.
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

LG`s update advisor on the website is a joke, it askes you for you phone model , but if you input any letters or numbers it still says an update is available. :(

Mobile Phone Support

7. Mini Mad

Mini Mad New Member

It means your phone is able to be updated via the website not that an actual update is available.
  8. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

Yes, we'll get an upgrade sometime this month.. Got this reply from LG Australia:

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia and New Zealand Pty Ltd.

Unfortunately I have no firm date for when the Android Eclair (2.1) update will be available for the LG GT540 Optimus, but we have been advised it will be available sometime this month, September.

I hope this has been of some assistance.

Should you have any further questions regarding your LG product, please do not hesitate to contact us either via email, or alternatively you can call the LG Customer Information Centre on 1300 542 273, which operates 7am
    OBL98 likes this.
  9. he6rt6gr6m

10. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

11. Al3x4Fun

Al3x4Fun Member

right now it's not possible. but will be until 2011. keep checking lg's site for updates..
  12. HonestGuvnor

HonestGuvnor Active Member

When I was trying to get help with an issue from the shop, they contacted LG for guidance and got the response to wait for the update which is expected end of next week or perhaps the week after.
  13. Bk2fut

Bk2fut Active Member

Any more updates on this potential upgrade?
  14. whotton

whotton Active Member

is there a medical term for an addiction to a certain subject or forum, because i check this site and the modaco forum like every god damn day waiting for this update!

haha wish lg would hurry up im so eager to see the full potential of my new phone!

hope im not the only one in this state of mind :)
  15. Bk2fut

Bk2fut Active Member

^ I second that emotion.

Although, I *was* bummed to learn that apps can only be installed to the mem. card with 2.2 or above.

The limited internal memory is just about this phone's only drawback...
  16. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

This is the reply i got from them yesterday... Now they say October?!?! :confused:

17. Milou.FR

Milou.FR New Member

Hi all ! (sorry for my english...)

Androidplanet.nl has recently published an article dated Sept 22, saying that LG officially announced a 2.1 upgrade for GT540 cellphones before the end of the year !

I googled the web to find any official information from LG, as said in the article, with no results at all. Besides, I'm still waiting for an answer since I posted a comment to the journalist on Androidplanet.nl.

The information looks credible, even though it comes after many other promises of that kind, with no effects at all.

Here is the link to the article (use a NL > EN online translator) :
    LG GT540 en GW620 krijgen binnenkort update - Android - Androidplanet.nl

Has anyone been told about such an annoucement from LG ?

Best regards.
  18. morecambe

morecambe New Member

I recently spotted a mail from the LG support in Sweden saying that the update supposedly will arrive in late October. However, I've seen a lot of those mails circulating many Android forum boards with all kind of different dates so I'm not really convinced. Yet.
  19. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

No, we are NOT getting it this month, or the next month.. :mad::mad::mad:

Reply from LG:
    ==========

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia & New Zealand Pty Ltd.

The update for the GT540 is still undergroing the testing phase and LG want to ensure that all issues and bugs are corrected prior to release. Due to this, the software is set to be released within the next 2 months.

We apologise for any inconvenience,

Kind regards,
    Glen A
    Customer Correspondence Officer
    LG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd | ABN 98 064 531 264
    PO Box 212
    Horsley Park NSW 2175
    P: 1300 542 273| F: 02 8805 4243
    Website: LG Electronics Australia | LG Home Appliances, TV, Mobile Phone, Air conditioner
  20. djpailo

djpailo Active Member

Calm down, at least their testing it properly. They never made an official announcement anywhere so we have nothing to be angry about. All the dates given were estimates.
  21. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

At first they said to me that we'll get the update in mid September, then they say end of September, then they said End of September/October and then end of October... And now, within next 2months?! They are just doing what Motorola did... What will they say in the next reply!? "You won't get the update..."??
  22. Nirob

Nirob Well-Known Member

Now, does this mean we will get ANDROID 2.2 later?!?! :D :D :D

---------------------------------------------------
    Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics Australia and New Zealand Pty Ltd.

As Android 2.2 has not been fully released, LG has not made any firm decisions on when Froyo (2.2) will be released for the Optimus GT540F.

We have planned an update to Eclair (2.1) to be released some time within the next few weeks. Unfortunately we don&#39t have an exact date right at the moment.

Should you have any further questions regarding your LG product, please do not hesitate to contact us either via email, or alternatively you can call the LG Customer Information Centre on 1300 542 273, which operates 7am
  23. Kostas

Kostas Well-Known Member

Please let it be so ! LG is going to ship a couple of new phones this month that basically have the same hardware as the GT 540 (but capacitive screens instead of resistive) that will ship with 2.2 so i imagine it shouldnt be too hard for them to port their firmware to the GT 540 but the tech support replies are notoriously unreliable so...
  24. komakino

komakino New Member

25. cca

cca Member