• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Optimus L9 vs Samsung Galaxy S2

andmhe

Feb 19, 2013
I'm considering the LG L9 and the Samsung S2 (from T-Mobile, $30 unlimited web and text, 100 minute talk plan), and would appreciate comments from actual users. My main use is e-mail, news apps, Google, and MP3 player; I almost never make or receive calls.

I've read several reviews, most of which describe the L9 as the better value, and the S2 as the better phone. But one review showed the L9 getting much better benchmark values. Also the L9 has a somewhat higher resolution screen.

At present, Walmart sells the L9 for $200, and the S2 for $300 -- and I'm okay with getting the S2 if there's a real benefit.

My main concern is the L9's 4GB internal memory limit, and the inability to place apps on the SD card. But I don't know if this is a real problem -- unless ICS takes up a lot of space. I now have a Galaxy Player 4.0 (Wifi only) which has 8GB, and presently have loaded about 100 apps, many of which I never use.

The L9 only comes with 1.8 GB usable internal storage for apps. I have a couple dozen and still have like 1.2 GB left. It should be fine unless you plan to download huge games like Grand Theft Auto which are over 1GB each. There is obviously an external sd card slot for everything else.

The S2 is better on paper, because it has a 1.5 ghz dual core, and HSPA+42 connectivity. As far as the processor, you won't notice any difference, as the L9 is completely lag free. And as you have seen, actually betters the S2 in benchmark tests. Since the L9 only has HSPA+ 21, you wont have download speeds as fast though. But HSPA+21 is nothing to sneeze at, I get average speeds of 7 to 9 Mbps. As fast as my home wifi, some days faster. And I have 20Mbps comcast high speed internet.

All in all I'd say download speeds are the biggest difference, if not the ONLY really noticeable difference. For $100 cheaper though, I'd go with the L9 all day long.

P.S. FWIW, the L9 curiously lacks a notification led. So the chiming is the only way you'll know when you have notifications. I was tripped out by that a little, but it hasn't been an issue at all. It may be for some, but is it a $100 issue? That's up to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

I ended up ordering the S2 for $329 ($299 plus the $30 plan for one month) . It was the lowest price I could find for an S2 that would pair with T-Mobile's $30/month plan (unlimited data and text, 100 minutes talk, NO contract).

For me, the $30 plan is important, as it fits my needs (use data, but hardly ever talk) -- and over time, it represents the main cost of owning the phone.

The L9 looked good also, but the 4GB memory limit worried me (probably unnecessarily as I don't use memory intensive applications, at least not yet). It seems a good choice also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones