LG Optimus S on Virgin Mobile

1. 4ndroidtech

4ndroidtech Active Member

I have the LG Optimus S with the OV's ClockworkMod Recovery and the BACKside ROM flashed on it. This was pretty simple, but my question is: Is there any way to get the LG Optimus S working on Virgin Mobile? And if so, how?

Advertisement
    :
  2. deathneed

deathneed Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can it would just be a matter of changing some codes in your phone since sprint and virgin use the same service it would make it even easier. I would call up virgin mobile and ask them or wait for a more experienced forum user to answer you question

Sorry I can't be more help but I saw you question and I didntwant it to fall off the first page with out yougetting at least some kind of answer
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  3. cpcollector

cpcollector Well-Known Member

No it isn't possible without breaking not only VM's TOS, but also the law. even so its still extremely difficult and not worth the risk
  4. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Well-Known Member

Cricket is the only service provider that allows out of network phones to be 'flashed' onto their network.
    Any attempt to get any other non-virgin mobile USA phone to use their service is HIGHLY ILLEGAL and highly advised against doing so.
    Now I'm not saying if its possible or not... (so don't get caught) ;)
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  5. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

I don't know about the legal issues, I'm no lawyer.

If you check xda, there are several phones that have been switched to VM service successfully. These people are using them, and paying VM for them, so afaik, that's a contractual agreement (but as I said, I'm no lawyer, and VM's contracts are only for 1 month). ;)
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  6. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

Actually, the legality is a gray area, but most experts say it IS legal. However it violates the terms of service.

Not only that, but you need a phone to get the codes from (old Intercept or OptimusV), which means either way you end up buying a phone.Then on top of that you will spend a few dozen hours on it, have to download some pirated software that may have viruses, and risk bricking both phones.

Not really worth the money, time or risks to swap over an Optimus S, but yes it can be done.
    rooter1, 4ndroidtech and JerryScript like this.
  7. wonshikee

wonshikee Well-Known Member

There's a few MVNO's out there that you can use.

Another option might be to sell that one and buy a OV.

You can get a used OV really cheap, like $50 on craigslist.
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  8. nitestalkr

Not to mention that IF you successfully do it, you will most likely experience service issues such as 3G not working, and MMS not working. These are also problems some Cricket customers experience when they flash their non-Cricket devices to be used with Cricket services.
    And if i do recall reading a thread over at howardforums.com about someone succesfully flashing an HTC phone over to Virgin Mobile(before there were any android phones on their network about 2 years ago) and were experiencing such data and mms issues.
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  9. Leslie Ann

No.
    They only experience 3g and mms issues if the person doing it did a half-a$$ed job and/or didn't know what they were doing. VM is harder because they have screwy mms, but other than that, they are all similar.

I know of several Evos and Epics running fully functional installs of CM7 and ICS. I've had first hand experience with the Evo on VM.
    nitestalkr and 4ndroidtech like this.
  10. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

Yes, believe LeslieAnn here, it is possible, and there are working options for 3g and mms. However, it's also the easiest way to brick a phone if you don't follow instructions to the letter!

Too much risk and effort to save $15/month imho. ;)
    4ndroidtech likes this.
  11. 4ndroidtech

Thanks for all the info! I actually have the MT on Virgin Mobile. I also have an old OV. I had just been messing around with this Optimus S(bad esn) and was wondering if there would be an easy way to switch the service to Virgin. But now I see that it would be a royal hassle:)
  12. nitestalkr

Thanks for clearing that up.
    And as I stated in my post, I read about that 2 years ago. ;)
  13. wonshikee

wonshikee Well-Known Member

If you just want to use it as a phone + wifi device, look at zappunlimited.com, they have an awesome $15/year for 400min/text plan. The bad ESN should still work there.
    JerryScript likes this.
  14. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

Actually, it looks like VM is ok with it. I just got a replacement phone (usb port went bad), and when I went to the website to swap phones, the Optimus S was listed as one the phones to swap to. I'm not sure about activating new service, but it does look like they will let you swap an existing account. Call them and find out. The worst that can happen is they say no.
    JerryScript likes this.
  15. Leslie Ann

Wow!
    Wonder when they started allowing that? Unfortunately, that seems to be the only outside phone allowed.
  16. 4ndroidtech

That's awesome! My girlfriend has an evo 4g that she wants to put on VM, wonder if they'd allow it..
  17. Leslie Ann

The ONLY non-Virgin phone allowed is the Optimus S.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  18. PMUSER

PMUSER Well-Known Member

I am interested in trying this as I have some Optimus S phones laying around. I wonder if doing this would cause MMS to fail
  19. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't, they both use the same mms settings. Since they are the same network.
  20. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

If someone used the unbrick guide, they could easily reprogram the phone for VM
  21. Phatninja55

Yea, but then they would also need a virgin mobile esn.
    Cloning esn is illegal. DON'T DO IT!
  22. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

If VM accepts optimus s on their network like Leslie said then you won't have to...
  23. Phatninja55

I've heard that that's not true.
  24. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

Go to Virgin's website, log into your account and click on swap phones. You will see the Optimus S.as one of the listed phones. I don't know if you activate it on a new account, but you definitely can swap to it on an existing account.
  25. Phatninja55

On Virgin Mobiles website, the Optimus Slider is the optimus s. Look closly at the picture, that and the optimus s dosn't have a virgin logo at the top of the screen. =P
    [​IMG]