LG Optimus V vs Optimus EliteGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Blazin65

Blazin65 Well-Known Member

I've had the Optimus V for about two years and I bought the LG Optimus Elite in Best Buy the other day because it was on sale for $65 for two days. This was an impulse buy, most definitely, although I was contemplating the purchase for a few months. I just figured it was about time to upgrade. I haven't opened it yet.

I know the main points: The Elite has more storage, has a better processor, camera is better.

I guess I'm trying to find a reason to stay with Optimus V? I'm posting here on Optimus V just to see if any of you guys that love the Optimus V would point anything out that you have heard that would be negative about the Elite vs the Optimus V.

To me it's a no-brainer if you have the money. But am I overlooking anything?

Advertisement
  2. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can tether with the elite, and the last time I checked there where no roms for it. But that dosn't matter if you don't plan on rooting.
  3. Blazin65

That's a good point and thank you. Yea, I don't root or tether. I'm just a basic user who only uses a few applications.
  4. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

5. Blazin65

Can anyone think of a feature on the Optimus V that is not on the Elite? Another big thing I like with the V is the ability to voice text, or whatever it is that allows me to talk and then type my text for me. As far as I know all phones have that now.
  6. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

The OV can tether without root
    The OV didn't or still doens't have a big failure rate when new

^ thats it
  7. Phatninja55

All android phones can use voice to text, with voice search installed.
  8. Blazin65

Thanks again for these comments. I still haven't opened it up. Been busy with the holidays.

I really like the Optimus V. I guess my main concern (which I originally didn't want to bring up) is the storage issue / internal memory. I have only a few (@ 5 that I use regularly) applications on the phone and twice over the past 4 months I've gotten that error message about low internal memory. I have moved every application that can be moved to the SD card, using both the phone itself and App2SD. Everything that can be moved is moved. I keep no messages, always clear the phone log, I've cleared the cache. I've done everything that has been posted on this forum, outside of rooting the phone and entering into that "zone". I'm just not that tech savy on phones. If I could move some of the apps to the SD card, I'd be fine. But most of them can't be moved. I've checked them several times. I guess the apps that are important to me don't have this capability.

But after all the above things I've done, the Internal Phone Storage today says 18.18MB available. That pretty much means if I downloaded one more application that is average size, end of story. I'm back to low on storage again.

So the above situation probably means I'm opening up that Elite.
  9. drew_t

drew_t Active Member

VM has a couple of their newer phones on sale for $99. You sure you don't want to spend a few more bucks and at least have an Android 4.0 phone?
  10. Blazin65

drew I"ll be honest, I didn't even know about 4.0. Thank you for pointing this out. I guess I've got something else to research now. I'll search this forum for comments about 4.0
  11. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

I had the Elite and loved the phone but had a horrible time with slow or non working data connection. I finally made vm upgrade me after trying 4 elites to the one v which I really like.

If it wasn't for the data issues I would have stayed with the elite. Quite a few others were also having this issue while others weren't so I'm not sure if they had some bad elites or network issues in certain areas.
  12. Blazin65

Ordered the one v last night off of virgins website. It was the last day for $99. Returning the Elite today to best buy, un-opened. I'm sure I will start posting numerous questions about the one v as soon as I get it next week. :)
  13. OptimusV123

OptimusV123 Well-Known Member

The Elite is an amazing phone for its price.
    We have had the infamous Artines Sleipnir Project since october!
    Giantpunes kernel doubling the frequency to 1612mhz!

We have been blessed to have Artines Sleipnir build, now at 2.3.8, completley debloated, ICS themed, fusion of the main three roms developed by other Elite devs. It is by far one of the best roms I have flashed in all my days of flashing roms.

Even if you dont have the Elite, check it out.
    http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/651121-rom-sleipnir-v2-3-8-01-03-12-a.html
  14. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

Looks like a pretty bad ass rom, you can overclock that high with no force closures or battery drain, wow that's awesome, wish we had it for the op v !

I'll bet it's pretty fast!
  15. OptimusV123

Its extremely stable and blazing fast!
    Battery easily lasts me 36 hours.
    badblue1 likes this.
  16. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

can you tether every mobile device within 100ft like the OV ???

I can leave my OV phone in my bedroom, go out side into the work shop and still get enough bars on my tablet to get my googlevoice txt messages from my GF.
  17. Phatninja55

My over worked great as a wireless network, not so much a hot spots tho because of the service.
  18. OptimusV123

We have the ability to tether. However I have never used it.
  19. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

I could not live without easy long distance tethering
  20. ZZDMAN

ZZDMAN Member

I had an issue with random reboots when using secure wifi connections. Google it, it's a serious issue which isn't getting the attention it deserves. Needless to say I returned my elite. Back to my trusty Optimus v
  21. Phil42

Phil42 Well-Known Member

One of the biggest advantages of the Optimus V which you will hopefully never have to use is it's extremely sturdy - built like a tank.

I've dropped mine (by accident) about three times. Each time the back cover goes flying along with the battery. Each time I just put it back together and turn the phone back on. At least one post in this forum describes how one Optimus V was accidentally dropped on a subway track and survived (Do not try this at home. We're experts.)

Not sure how many non-hardened phones can make claims like that.
  22. Phatninja55

I was in woods class and accidently hit the screen with a hammer, left a little dent but still worked. Lol also survived sand paper.
  23. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

The v really is a beast!
  24. Guian

Guian Well-Known Member

If you root the V and overclock it, its still holds it own. Its built like a tank, and if you edit the build.prop file you can have access to lots of apps that Play won;t allow you to have due to the phone being an OV. Switched my prop to a Galaxy S2 , and the bulk of the apps run just fine on the V. Due to phone signal issues, my V is now my backup phone. Went to Sprint and got their airrave to address signal strength. Wish VM would offer that, and I never would have switch.

V still rocks - and Sprint still offers it (as the Optimus S). So its not ready for the landfill. Too bad we can't swap out memory and processors like we do on our PC. Otherwise V would be around for a long while to come.
  25. TimTheGreat000

TimTheGreat000 New Member

1. It has a higher pixel density
    2. Harder to accidently hit home screen or back button.
    3. Cheaper.
    4. Runs decent for its size and processors.
    5. Withstands roots very well.
    6. Stronger than elite.

I'm sorry I don't really know more. Ill do some more research.
    badblue1 likes this.