LG shine plusGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kathy3134

kathy3134 New Member This Topic's Starter

just got this phone today, and absolutely LOVE it...anyone else have any thoughts???

Advertisement
  2. Vighnahara

Vighnahara Member

I've had this phone since the day after it came out in Canada.

I love it!

Nice interface, love the QWERTY, the hard buttons have good feedback and the touch buttons are responsive. The proximity sensor is really cool, the way it automatically turns off the screen and touch-buttons when your phone is at your ear, and then automatically turns it back on when you take it away.

It's already taken a bit of a licking. I dropped it in gravel, which caused a couple gashes in the protective plastics that I hadn't taken off yet, and a couple dents and scratches in the body, but the screen was completely unscathed. It's fallen on ceramic tile twice and yesterday fell out of my pocket onto concrete and then someone who was trying to help me pick it up ended up dropping it again. No damage that time, none. So far, just the gravel has even touched it.

I use K-9 mail and it lets you set a custom colour for the LED notification. Mine is purple, and that is really cool :D

I'm looking for a soft case to keep it in, because I keep it in my pocket and it falls out a lot. The body is plastic and aluminum, the plastic dents and scratches of course. The screen is tempered glass and seems very scratch resistant (much more so than my old piece-of-crap blackberry).

Sound volume is great, one of the first phones that I haven't had to turn to full volume to hear people. Voice dialing works perfectly except when there's a lot of background noise. Doesn't have the best bluetooth range (gets static when my phone is at the other end of the house from my headset, go figure) but works fine if you keep it in your pocket.

Battery life is only OK, about as good as any smart phone these days. If I use it a lot in a day (2+ hours on the phone with bluetooth) then it goes down to 20% by 5pm and needs a charge. If I only use it for texting and the web, it easily lasts til bedtime at 50%. I don't like the way it won't let me make a non-emergency phone call if the battery is less than 25%. It should be my decision if I want to completely kill the battery in order to make that one last important 4:55pm phone call!!

My only complaint is the covered USB port, and that could easily be remedied by simply ripping it off :p I haven't yet because I suppose in principle it's good to keep dust and moisture out.

3. blitzburgh11

blitzburgh11 Member

Holy cow! The phone has only been out for like 6 weeks and you've put it through hell already!

I love mine as well. Battery is the only issue, but it's not a big deal since you can charge it by USB or wall outlet. That's very convenient.

The apps are amazing, sound is great, live wallpapers are a cool touch, and customizations are insane. This is by far the best phone I've researched!

Go to hell iPhone! HAHAHAHA!

4. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

My wife just picked one up and she's impressed. The battery life seems good with 2.1 OS on it. About the only issue she's having is hotmail sync. She gets email fine but when deleting it on her computer, the deleted emails remain in her inbox on the phone... Gotta figure that one out :)

5. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

I have had this phone for about a week and have been very happy with it. I switched from a Treo 700p. I love the UI, wifi, size style, but there were so many functions I still miss from the Treo. I am slowly finding apps and modifying my usage to adapt to the phone and to get back the full usage that I had with my Treo.

I did not sign up for a monthly data plan and only use wifi wireless. I do have a pay per use data plan (more expensive on a per mb basis). I had to get Telus to block the data usage on their end, because sometimes the mobile network on my phone was being enabled (accidental touchscreen or app automatically turning on the mobile network).

My battery life has been very good. I am playing with the phone alot and am on the wifi alot (turn on and off as needed) as I download new apps and experiment with google calendar and contacts. Of course, I do not use a mobile network and have turned off the satellite gps. At the end of the day I still have about 30 - 50% battery life. Just as a comparision, I only use up about 15% of battery per day on my Treo and I only charged the Treo once every 5 to 7 days.

I think the Iphone is much nicer and would have bought that but the full monthly data plan is mandatory for at least one year. Besides I have been hearing alot of good things about Android. The Shine Plus, Optimus One and Samsung Galaxy Apollo are some of the rare smartphones that Telus will allow you have without the mandatory monthly data plan.

My only gripe at this point is that I wish I could increase the size of the font on the phone apps, eg Contacts is very difficult to read the telephone numbers and info. I hope to find some app to fix or substitute. If anybody has any ideas, let me know.

6. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

@funpig. Keep in mind the Shine Plus is a mid-level phone and not really an apples to apples comparison for the Iphone. For it's pricepoint it's a very solid phone but not a flagship model by any means.

As for the fonts...at least on my X10(haven't tried with the wife's Shine Plus yet), the only way to get different fonts or to change the size that I'm aware of is to root the phone and replace the stock fonts with new ones. I've done it and it's fairly straightforward but you have to be comfortable with having your phone in a potentially non-warrantied state. That said it's easy to put it back to factory so I assumed the risk. :) I'm confident the methods used on other android phones to accomplish this would be applicable.

7. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with mine so far after 2 months. My friend just got the HTC Desire and I helped him set it up, since he's lost when it comes to most computer and technology stuff. I was really jealous that he got the Desire at first, and I would prefer to have it despite the lack of a keyboard, but after playing with it for a bit this weekend I realized I still love my Shine plus. It does lag a little bit at times compared to his Desire, but it's not too bad. Considering the price, I think I did good with it. Hopefully it lasts like my last LG Shine flip did, and my ex's LG Voyager.

8. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

When it comes to smartphones, you can't help but make comparisons to the iPhone. The LG Shine Plus is cheaper and the monthly data plan is not mandatory. It is just my personal opinion that the iPhone is nicer. But for the mandatory data plan, I would have bought the iphone. I even considered buying the iPod touch for using as my PIM device and carrying a cheap dumb phone.

I have now owned the Shine Plus almost ten days. I'm not quite ready to root it yet to deal with the font size issue. One new gripe is that whenever the phone button is pressed, the default window is the call log. An inadvertant touch of the screen will start it dialing one of the call log numbers; this happens a couple of times a day. I wish I could set the default opening window to just the number pad or even the contacts. Otherwise, I am really enjoying it and am missing my Treo less and less.

9. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member

I can't stand typing on my ipod touch which would be the same as the iphone. My friends Desire seemed a little bit better, maybe enough that I could get used to it. I would definitely be happy to have it, but after playing with it I don't regret getting the Shine at all.

10. Terles

Terles New Member

11. tinao

tinao Member

Do you know how to make your contacts name show when they call? when mine call it says unknown

12. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Do you have "call display" as part of your phone plan? If not, based upon past experience with another phone, you will not be able to see who is calling you even if the contact is enterred in your phone..