• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG update to Verizon Update

Has anyone had any luck getting the Verizon Froyo update after downloading LG version? The Verzion one seems cleaner and better based on my wife getting the OTA version yesterday.

If your having issues with Froyo after the mobile update try a factory reset first. As far as I know the OTA and LG mobile update versions are one and the same.

Upvote 0
How so? What are the differences?

The weather showed up on the unlocking screen, the browser was quicker and for some reason my smileys do not work (not a big deal).

I did do a FR after I installed the LG version, and seemed much better than the original download. I was also wondering because of the difference in mb size for each, Verizon being a lot less.

Reactions: DoctorZaius68
Upvote 0
I was wondering if there was a difference between the two builds.
I did mine through the lg updater.
leaving me with a kernal ver 2.6.32.9 from lg-electronics@balto #2
and of course the sw ver is vzd.
If someone who did the ota would report what the "kernal" says it would be appreciated.
Thanks

I did the OTA update on Sunday morning. I have the same kernal you have. 2.6.32.9 lg-electronics@balto#2

Upvote 0
The weather showed up on the unlocking screen, the browser was quicker and for some reason my smileys do not work (not a big deal).

I did do a FR after I installed the LG version, and seemed much better than the original download. I was also wondering because of the difference in mb size for each, Verizon being a lot less.

How did you get the weather at the lock screen?

Upvote 0

Thank you.

Is there a difference in the color scheme for the email and calendar apps? I downloaded the LGMU version and I am surprised how bland the color scheme is (washed out light gray). Did they add some color to the OTA version?

DZ

Upvote 0
Thank you.

Is there a difference in the color scheme for the email and calendar apps? I downloaded the LGMU version and I am surprised how bland the color scheme is (washed out light gray). Did they add some color to the OTA version?

DZ

There might have been some subtle differences like that. My wife worked last night so I did not have another chance to play with the phone.
I will try again tomorrow night after her shift.

Upvote 0
So... if you followed the guide to rooted FroYo, you don't really have the full Froyo? You just have a patched version? Is that right?

No, he means that a full ROM replaces every file, whereas the OTA only updates files that are out of date.

The end result *should* be the same (assuming they did things properly, and the phone you apply the OTA to wasn't altered from what LG expected).

Upvote 0
So you have the weather on the lockscreen above the slider(left button)?

My wife's phone had it but she then changed themes and it's no longer there. I want to play with her phone to see any differences, but she is mad because the update "messed" things up. I also did a FR and missed a few re-installs. I wished i checked to see what her original theme was when it happened.

Upvote 0
so my girlfriend has a lg ally stock (she wont let me root) and she has not received any otu updates in a while not. her cousin who has the same phone got an updated a few days ago. any thoughts as to why she has not recieved the update yet?

"Enter *#*#checkin#*#* on the dialer keypad ( *#*#2432546#*#*)" and dial the call. This will "check in" for ota updates in case it hasn't been pushed to her phone for some reason or another.

Edit:

Source: http://jeftek.com/622/how-to-force-checking-for-updates-on-android-devices/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones