• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG V20 review calls it inconsistent greatness

Rose of Mobile Syrup just published her review of the LG V20 and she feels the LG V20 is LG's big opportunity to bounce back from the mediocre response of the LG G5.

Pros
- Useful secondary display and vibrant main display
- Premium design
- Impressive wide-angle dual-camera setup
- Groundbreaking audio experience

Cons
- Inconsistent performance for camera & other large apps
- Slow boot time
- Not waterproof
- Tendency to slightly overheat

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an owner of LG's initial foray into producing a hybrid phone of sorts; last years (2015) LG V10. Like I'm sure other folks have experienced a myriad of other phones....I've had my share of them....all brands...(but only android) ...tons of models....I've sampled things from HTC...to nexus...to Samsung's... To...Motorola... To sony, etc etc....had Samsung's galaxies S2-S7's....(I'll rock my S4 from time to time)....but my purpose here is to say.....with all the probable 50+ phones I've rocked.....to me...i hit "paydirt"....struck gold... with the V10. To me and about 47 others that i know who also rock V10's....this phone (V10)...is literally ...unflappably unbeatable. While waiting for the "true" accounts of the supposed successor... the V20....and "thinking" it'd break not just follow the footsteps of our V10....to us...unfortunately... the V20...falls short. So far..living with this V10....is like living with a living one-off masterpiece.... Of a phone device. It's like LG made a "one-off" Ferrari, Lamborghini, aston martin.....and just haven't figured out how to truly surpass what they did...once before (the V10). Overall..this is such a "sleeper" of a phone device....its actually incredible. While a lot of folks criticized for example the rubbery back cover, its actually in genious, a Godsend...in that...if it were metal like the V20...if it fell, got bumped... There goes "the look/esthetics"...as dents will pop in...even in a ladies purse, a guys pocket, etc.... And heat wise...shucks...no overheating issues at all. Plus...this back is beyond durable... Its actually absorbs shocks, ...seemingly re-directs energy away from....what..???....oh my!!!...not one...but 2..as in two layers of gorilla glass 4..!! (Note G4 glass...as the later G5 glass.. Has been proven to be less capable than its Gorilla glass 4 predecessor!!!... especially in scratch tests)... So a V10 phone with dual layers, plus the "duraskin" back...makes a V10 almost indestructible. And being water resistant..???.... Who really cares?... Even if a sony or Samsung phone is....who realistically purposefully dunks a phone or doesn't take care to try and keep it dry?.... Water resistance in phones is the least worry I'd have. But... The V10 is also beautiful.... With its bold, cool stainless steel exposed on both sides like a slick auto. (And it's inner framework is comprised of stainless steel as well)!!.... The camera (video/photo) is beyond excellent, no freezing, crashing.... Super customizable settings, the audio on it was groundbreaking as well, the 2nd screen is a beyond wonderful idea... Super useful.... 4gb ram/64gb out of the box....and i got a free 200gb sd card with it and a spare battery.... Plus headsets.... So what the "brain" ..processor is model no. 808...and not 820...like later produced phones....its still blazingly fast.. No lags, no freezes....just pure phone bliss. Being a V10 user coming up on a year this November.... a V20....or so far...nothing else on the upcoming bills...will surpass the super phone LG made in their 1st "V" series offering. the V10......is truly the super and ("sleeper") phone every manufacturer has to beat/topple. No I-phone...no sammy G7 edge, regular or note....no HTC..no nothing beats a V10.... to date. True reviews may not see my point of view about a V10...but...if you get one, use it....for say 3+ weeks.... You'll know then.....u have a serious "diamond in the rough"....of a phone. LG's V10....is a masterpiece....my closing statement and analogy is this....back in day when the Egyptians built their pyramids....and fast forward to today...in all of the 20th century... No one can ever rebuild them.....this is the V10...a one-off "pyramid"...of a phone... That to date...has not been rebuilt... Or surpassed. If one wants a modern day "8th wonder of the world"....LG's V10...is it. Live it, live with it as i and 46 other known colleagues of mine....and you will experience it for yourself. The V20....trails way behind the V10...!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones