• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Volt now available

Things I've noticed so far... Kit Kat has no flash support, tho dolphin browser provides a work around, only bottom left speaker gives sounds, while not as sharp it does go louder than my evo does with hd sound enabled,think the right is just for show, was loving this until I activated it today, even tho map shows coverage in my area, phone won't stay locked onto spark, been reading that a lot of tri band phones are having issues, most are having to toggle airplane mode to reconnect, 3g is horrible compared to my evo at home, will try at work tomorrow, actually fearing I'll be missing wimax. Netflix is really the only place I've really noticed some pixelation, but nothing extreme, you can natively remove some of the bloat that gets put on, but not all, all theGoogle apps are there for keeps, ....vm wouldn't price match and wanted me to cover shipping for return, so after expressing some frustration I got them to top me up 20 bucks, they wouldn't budge on giving me the actual difference of 30 bucks.....

I'm loving my S3 and the only issues I've had have been extremely minor. I love having 4gLTE consistently in my area. We don't have spark, and I doubt we will for at least a year. I think I made the right choice of not going with the Volt. Having to manually adjust brightness whenever I go outdoors/indoors would make me feel like I'm back on my Optimus V.

Upvote 0
I'm loving my S3 and the only issues I've had have been extremely minor. I love having 4gLTE consistently in my area. We don't have spark, and I doubt we will for at least a year. I think I made the right choice of not going with the Volt. Having to manually adjust brightness whenever I go outdoors/indoors would make me feel like I'm back on my Optimus V.

Out of curiosity, what issues are you having?? I debated these two phones for the longest... 2gb ram vs quad core and battery, I honestly had a tough time choosing lol I know the s3 is boss but wondering what isn't cool about it

Upvote 0
Well, now you have a link to the page. :p

Most people on metro are very happy and If you just got it in your area then its gsm if. I get great phone service, phone choices, true unlimited everything and a reasonable price.. I want to know what they are complaining about.. I can't see it on my phone and you feel its unessary to copy and paste and pm it to me that I'd fine...

Back to the volt, in my honest opinion the S4 processer is crap compared to the snapdragon 400 quad core, my moto g makes me regret my xperia tl and atrix HD it is far snappier than my buddies note 2 but that could be due to touchwiz, but doubt it. Mind you I am referring to the stock moto g

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, what issues are you having?? I debated these two phones for the longest... 2gb ram vs quad core and battery, I honestly had a tough time choosing lol I know the s3 is boss but wondering what isn't cool about it

The battery life isn't anywhere near the Volt, but the only real issues I can think of were the contacts app froze like twice, but that was fixed by just exiting it, closing and restarting it. And I had issues with the stock gallery app running a little slowly, but it seems to be working now, I use QuickPic mostly anyway. Everything else has been pretty great so far.

Reactions: ZAXIS
Upvote 0
I'm on Boost mobile.......am considering lg volt as an alternative to s3 ....wish I could afford the way overpriced s5 they have now.

Can the volt be tethered by usb to pc to run internet....this would be a deal breaker for me if it couldn't

It can, but I don't know if there are extra charges... I know it costs extra for hotspot. If the S3 doesn't have anything you especially need I totally recommend the volt. I'm completely happy with it even without root.

Reactions: iram
Upvote 0
I'm on Boost mobile.......am considering lg volt as an alternative to s3 ....wish I could afford the way overpriced s5 they have now.

Can the volt be tethered by usb to pc to run internet....this would be a deal breaker for me if it couldn't

The S5 is actually discounted on VM and Boost. Retail price is $650-700, they sell it for $600. Just saying. It's not overpriced, it's just expensive because it's the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0
Thanks...your right latest and greatest S5 love the size which is what first attracted me but not being what I would call a power user....Just old fashion actual phone use :) email and some text.....the over all price is just way to much...the real problem is even if I waited say 2yrs....then S5 will probably be 2 or more generations behind and the price will be the same. As an alternative Im looking at lg volt on boost...Not as big (unfortunately) but may fit the need

Upvote 0
The S5 is actually discounted on VM and Boost. Retail price is $650-700, they sell it for $600. Just saying. It's not overpriced, it's just expensive because it's the latest and greatest.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I have too. This is a prime example of consumer brainwashing. Is it new? Yes. Is it cool? Certainly. Is it worth $600? Not at all. It could be sold for probably $400, but they know people will pay $600 for it, so that's what they're charging. This behavior chains down the line. Samsung is willing to pay too much for components, those people are willing to pay too much for materials, etc. because they know the consumer will break the bank to have the 'latest and greatest' just to line the pockets of the 1%.

Upvote 0
I got my Volt last Friday. Things were going well until Sunday...I am in Chicago and I always have Spark showing as available (the little spark logo spins all the time). However unless I toggle on and off Airplane mode/data spark only works intermittently even though I show full bars. 3G and Wifi always work... I have updated PRL and Profile bunches of times.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Thanks...your right latest and greatest S5 love the size which is what first attracted me but not being what I would call a power user....Just old fashion actual phone use :) email and some text.....the over all price is just way to much...the real problem is even if I waited say 2yrs....then S5 will probably be 2 or more generations behind and the price will be the same. As an alternative Im looking at lg volt on boost...Not as big (unfortunately) but may fit the need

All flagships are around that price when they come out. The S3 was, and I just bought it for $220. I highly doubt the S5 will still be $600 in 2 years, probably 300, MAYBE 400. The price will drop significantly, especially if Virgin continues to get top of the line phones quickly.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I have too. This is a prime example of consumer brainwashing. Is it new? Yes. Is it cool? Certainly. Is it worth $600? Not at all. It could be sold for probably $400, but they know people will pay $600 for it, so that's what they're charging. This behavior chains down the line. Samsung is willing to pay too much for components, those people are willing to pay too much for materials, etc. because they know the consumer will break the bank to have the 'latest and greatest' just to line the pockets of the 1%.

I guess you don't know how the world works, then. Companies always sell products for a huge markup of what the materials actually cost. (Ex. a t-shirt costs about $3 to make, yet you pay $20-40) It sucks, but that's how it works. No one actually thinks Samsung is barely eeking out a profit on their devices. $600+ is the going rate for a brand new flagship phone, and is actually lower than it has been in years past. You can go on contract and pay "$199" and pay $100 a month and end up paying for the phone multiple times, or you can plunk down $600 up front on VM and only pay $35 a month for a plan I've not seen any other company even come close to competing with.

Upvote 0
Excuse me? I don't know how the world works? I think I laid it out pretty clearly, and you actually confirmed what I said by stating that no one thinks Samsung is barely making a profit. I'm well aware that this is 'standard' pricing, but that's only because people are willing to pay it. Do you really think they'd keep charging $600 for a new phone if no one bought them? No, they'd drop the price or go out of business. With less income, they, in turn, would have to demand lower prices from their suppliers, and so on. The power to alter this greed based economy is in the hands of the consumer. Everyone is just to blinded by having to have the 'latest and greatest' to see it. Boost and Virgin are examples of this. People started switching to them and now the big contract names are offering plans with similar pricing. If you can't see that, then you're as blind as the rest.

Upvote 0
Ok been trying to see what i can do being able to get into stock recovery.
What i learned is recover only understands a SD card that is formatted to EXT2.
I tried to flash superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip ive used on a few phones and this is what said:
-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

So it seems if somebody can locate or make a superuser.zip that can pass the signature verification of the recovery we should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Ok been trying to see what i can do being able to get into stock recovery.
What i learned is recover only understands a SD card that is formatted to EXT2.
I tried to flash superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip ive used on a few phones and this is what said:
-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

So it seems if somebody can locate or make a superuser.zip that can pass the signature verification of the recovery we should be good to go.

Can we move this to the L90 root forum, others have been trying similar things there

Edit: yeah I meant f90

Upvote 0
Sorry not good at replying via the phone..hope link works..all the searching I am finding is that Volt is essentally the F90
It is similar, but it's not exactly the same hardware. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but if you're going to say 'it's this phone', then it should be that phone, exactly (not directed at you, at the people writing the articles). Here's a comparison of the three. NOTE: Volt does NOT have a light sensor or gyroscope, and the camera does have autofocus and panorama. It's also running 4.4.2.
LG L90 vs LG F90 vs LG Volt - Phone specs comparison
As you can see, it's about half F90 and half L90.

Upvote 0
It is similar, but it's not exactly the same hardware. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but if you're going to say 'it's this phone', then it should be that phone, exactly (not directed at you, at the people writing the articles). Here's a comparison of the three. NOTE: Volt does NOT have a light sensor or gyroscope, and the camera does have autofocus and panorama. It's also running 4.4.2.
LG L90 vs LG F90 vs LG Volt - Phone specs comparison
As you can see, it's about half F90 and half L90.

You're currently trying to root the volt tho right? And posting results in f90 thread?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones