Life post Swype... NOW WHAT?General

1. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

Now that most of us have lost Swype.... Where do we go from here??

I have had Swype for the past 4 months and spent the past day tapping and can no longer deal with it.

The alternatives I have heard of are:

SlideIT
    Swiftkey

Any others?

Anyone know anything about these? What is our best option??

Advertisement
    :
  2. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

I'm using Swiftkey and think its great. The word prediction is fairly accurate so it does speed up my typing. Now if I could quit trying to swipe on it! :eek:
  3. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member

Xda forums, theres a whole thread about where to get a working version... I'm using the one for the Evo but it still works fine. just no mic, I don't use it anyway.
  4. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

slideit seems to be a good replacement from what i have seen, and i think it has mic too
  5. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

Thought this topic was banned on threads?

[But thanks ;)]
  6. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member

I thought it was giving the link. I just said the forums.
  7. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Links to illegal software are banned.
  8. silentronin

silentronin Active Member

why don't you have a working version of swype. i have had it since the beta was first available and just recently updated to new version of the beta. i think it was a newer version anyway, i just started actually using it about a week ago.

i guess what i am asking is did i miss an expiration date on the beta or something.

and to answer your other question, i have been using swiftkey up until last week. it's ok, but it is definitely no comparison to swype.
  9. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Don't post the link and this thread will stay open.
  10. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

My modded version expired late last week. I thought all the 1.56 versions did? I switched to SlideIt. It's about the same as swype. But I found a thread somewhere with an Evo swype (not on XDA ). I think it's 1.61 or something. Works really well. It's just ugly.
  11. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

Yesterday I downloaded the an EVO Swype from XDA with no mic and it is working great. I suggest you go there if you want to continue using Swype.
  12. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

I was not a "beta" user... but there are links from XDA for swype, incase anyone wants to search there...

NO LINKS POST HERE PLEASE!
  13. silentronin

silentronin Active Member

NO LINKS POST HERE PLEASE![/QUOTE]

why the yelling?
  14. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

So you were "stealing" their intellectual "property"? (although I don't get why they don't just release a paid version. It's good enough to slap on every new phone out there, but not for current users?)
  15. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

I used SwiftKey for a while, but the lag got to me. Swype's issues with 2.2 also got to me. I'm back to stock for now. :(
  16. gparadox

gparadox Well-Known Member

I signed up for the beta a long time ago; I would freak out if my swype expired on me without a new release.

Actually, I did freak out when I found that my version didnt work; but they sent me an email with a link to the new one.
  17. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Been using Swiftkey and I LOVE it. I wish the word prediction was more accurate, but there are times I can avoid having to type a few words. Quite enjoy how the keyboard operates overall, including the layout.
  18. Relsek

Relsek Member

My copy of Swype also expired but it's just cause there is a new update. You're supposed to uninstall Swype and the old Swype Installer. Then there should be an email on the account you registered with from Swype linking you to where you can get the update. You have to go there on your phone on a browser that is displaying in android mode rather than desktop. Also don't using Skyfire cause it won't download correctly so you'll have a parsing error when you try to install. If you didn't get an email from them but are registered for the beta, go to their website: Swype | Text Input for Screens then login and have them resend you the email. Good luck!
  19. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

I am one of the registered beta users but the newest beta dictionary is so messed up that it make about 2 or more mistakes per sentence so it was slower than pecking out the letters.
    YamiYaiba likes this.
  20. TKB5

TKB5 Active Member

they wont let you talk about it here. but just steal it somewhere else
  21. BleepBlorp

BleepBlorp Member

Ultra Keyboard is awesome. I felt the same as the OP. But it is much sweeter! It has swype like action and then some and almost FULLY customizable.
  22. convex

convex Member

I don't know what you guys are talking about but my Swype works just fine.
  23. tsrdrum

tsrdrum Well-Known Member

+1 on ultra keyboard. Swype still works for me, but ultra keyboard has all of the things I have been hoping Swype would implement (better tap-typing, a smoother word suggestion window, an effective landscape mode, voice-input support). It's been like an hour and I'm already sold.
  24. simn22

simn22 Active Member

they sent me a new beta version. then mine also expired, i installed the new one and now it works again
  25. emmur0

emmur0 Well-Known Member

I have the newest version and it does not work properly after reboot. I downloaded Droid X Multi-Touch Keyboard from the web and love that as an alternative. I still use Swype 90% of the time.