1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Life post Swype... NOW WHAT?General

1. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

They are not releasing it to the market because they are trying to market it to OEMs. You make a lot more money if you can just get an OEM to license your product for every device they ship.
    The only reason there is a beta available at all is for the free testing.

It is like when you sleep with a girl and never call her back. That is what Swype is doing to all of us.
  2. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

OEM is their business model. Great. So when the beta testing is over...what do people do with ...

Nexus One
    Incredible
    Evo
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc????

I'm turned off to swype now simply because of the way they are running things. OEM business model seems completely against the open android ideal (as are a lot of things Verizon is doing, but i digress...)
    Swiftkey? I really don't want to go back to tapping. I tried SlideIt -and am using it now. But the prediction sucks. And putting all the symbols on 4 different pages is annoying.

I haven't tried Ultra Keyboard yet. IS that the 6.99 one without a demo? May just have to take a risk as slideIT aint cutting it for me.
  3. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

Ultra is 2.79 and has a 24 hour demo which I am going to try out this evening.
  4. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

I like slideit. The developer has been responsive to suggestions and plans some updates soon. I actually like it better than swype....the microphone feature is nice.
  5. xmirage2kx

xmirage2kx Member

Try shapewriter, they dropped it from the market but its still out there with a google search. Shapewriter is free, and they still offer support/downloads from their own website so its not an "illegal download" you just cant get it from the market right now. The only thing its really missing is a mic key. look for Shapewriter 3.0.9 as this is the non-expiring legal copy.
  6. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

Ahhh didn't see the trial at first. Thanks! just installed it. Lots of settings to customize (including enabling tracing - disabled by default lol)
  7. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I agree it's really weird what they are doing. I do believe, however, that the beta testers will get a free link when it goes gold. If not, ...well I better not say here. That being said, the beta sucks. You need to switch input after every reboot, which a lot of us do multiple times / day with the new roms and goodies. The installer is a sham and word prediction way off lately. Oh well, I still use it but someone is going to come up with a better version without the current limitations.
  8. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

WOW - so far ultra keyboard blows everything out of the water. Anything you don't like - just fix. It is SOOOOOOOoo customizable.. I love it!!!

I'll give it the 24hour trial - if i still feel this way, i'm not looking back.

good riddens swype!
  9. jsimpson96

jsimpson96 New Member

Shape Writer. It works fairly well. I never used Swype so it took a bit of getting use to.
  10. JayCizzo

JayCizzo Well-Known Member

Another vote for Ultra Keyboard. Turn on "tracing" in the settings and it works just like Swype. No lag. There are a ton of customizations and settings.
  11. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

same here. lots more errors on this version
  12. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

Wow, another vote for Ultra Keyboard. This thing rocks!
  13. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Does anyone find the keys way too small? I keep tracing the wrong word because my fingers (which are small) keep hitting the wrong keys.
  14. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

I got a nice working themed version of swype so I am set for now but how much can you cutomize ultra keyboard?

Can you change colors or the look of anything?
  15. OldMuttonHead

OldMuttonHead Well-Known Member

At the risk of being flamed, what exactly is Swype?
  16. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

You can calibrate how you type. Go into settings > typing > calibration :cool:
  17. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

OldMuttonHead likes this.
  18. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

Yes - completely flexible. You specify the colors, the size, the padding, etc
  19. y2kirk1028

y2kirk1028 Active Member

Download the Hero theme in the Market for Ultra, the keys are a tiny bit bigger.
  20. Weazol

Weazol Well-Known Member

I am confused? Why don't you have swype anymore.. I am in the beta and it is working just fine.
  21. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

He's NOT in the beta, so I'm guessing they turned off all the previous versions after the recent update.
  22. bigdragons

bigdragons Well-Known Member

what he said :)
    :D
    Been using it for a couple of hours now this blows Swype out of the water!!!!!!!!
  23. Geddy Lee

Geddy Lee Member

Trying Ultra now. Wow! They will leave Swype in the dust.
  24. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Well-Known Member

My Swype still works but thanks to this thread I installed Ultra and uninstalled Swype. Nice find!
  25. knebel22

knebel22 Well-Known Member

I saved my version of shapewriter when I switched to swype.
    I prefer swype but am learning to deal with shapewriter.
    I may try the ultra keyboard trial a try.