• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Light Flow works! GN3 notification light rundown

Methos1979

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2012
Third rock from the Sun
I got Light Flow to work finally, not sure how since I couldn't get it to work before, but it's working now. Maybe an update came through.

Anyway, for those that don't know, Light Flow is an app that allows you to set your notification light to change colors for different supported apps. There is a Lite version that works well. The paid version gives you more supported apps.

You can also assign different flash rates, different vibration patterns, and even different sounds. You can really go crazy. I used this program on my last phone, a Razr Maxx HD, and it was excellent.

One of the difficulties is seeing just what colors a specific phone is capable of producing. Since I need to know this, I've done the work already and you can benefit if you want to use the program. In the end I only used 6 different colors for the following notifications: Facebook, SMS, MMS, Email, Chess, Calendar, News, Missed Calls and Voicemail. The reason being that while there are many different colors, many have only subtle changes and some not enough to differentiate.

Here are the colors Light Flow lists as available. I have tested each one with our phone's notification light and I will break down the list as follows - Light Flow's color name, GN3's actual color (somewhat subjective, of course), and quality. Quality is based on a 3 'star' rating system, 3 is excellent (bright, sharp with crisp edges), 2 is medium (not as bright, not as sharp/crisp) 1 is not that good (dim, blurry edges)

Here we go...

Blue - Dark Blue - 2 - Kinda dim
Bright Pink - Pink - 3
Cyan - Bright Blue - 3
Deep Orange - Orange - 3
Gold - Bright Yellow - 3
Green - Bright Green - 3
Indigo - Light Purple - 2
Lilac - Pinkish/White - 3
Lime - Light Yellow - 2
Magenta - Pink - 3 - Same as the Bright Pink
Orange - Orange - 3 - Close to Gold
Pink - Light Pink - 3
Purple - Purple - 1 - Awfully dim
Red - Light Red - 3
Sky Blue - Light Blue - 2 - Close to Cyan
Turquoise - Light Green - 2 - Lighter than Green
White - Pinkish White - 3 - Same as Lilac
Yellow - Bright Yellow - 3

It then allows you to create custom colors but I didn't test this.

I ended up using Blue, Cyan, Green, Gold, Magenta, Orange and Red. The GN3's notification light is not as bold and bright as the RMHD was, but in a way that's nice - it's more subdued. I like using this program as I like to be able to see what I've missed at a glance in areas where the phone is on silent.

I used a customized flash rate of 50/2000 (50 ms on, 2000 ms off). This gives a nice flash, better than stock. Due to the GN3's smallish notification light, many of the colors are too close to differentiate in any meaningful way. But you can easily set up at least 5 to 7 fairly different colors. And then you can always set up colors with different flash patterns to open up more variations.

If you decide to use the program and have some more questions let me know. I'm pretty good with it. Also, the devs are always fixing bugs and adding phones and apps. The paid version is well worth the $2.49 (last I checked) price.

I put light flow on my 3 on release day and it's been flawless. I wonder why it wasn't working for you.
Regardless, great post and I'm glad you like the app. I've been using it for several phones and couldn't be without it.

I'm quite sure it was something on my end - probably a switch not thrown. I've changed settings SO many times just noodling around with the GN3 that I can't remember what I turned on or off anymore! I'm just happy is works.

There were a few other recent reviews of LF on Play that said they couldn't get it working on their GN3's as well. As with any new device - especially one as feature-rich and complicated as the GN3 - there's going to be a learning curve.

Upvote 0
I installed Lite Flow on my Nexus 5. The light (color) notifications work fine, but I cannot get the repeating sound notifications to work for anything. I have gone thru and enabled the notification, set the light color, enabled sound, set the sound I want to use, enabled repeating sound, selected the sound I want to use (same as I selected for sound), set the sound frequency to every 3 minutes, and set the sound duration to 4 hours. I only receive the notification one time. I would really like to get this to work, so I know when I have missed a call or text.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones