light sensor not working.???Support

Last Updated:

1. shihte

shihte Member This Topic's Starter

help guys!i have milestone for 3 days good phone,camera performance surprised me expecting worse but...when i am making call display turns off and non of buttons work even i can hear ringing or person who i call then i have to slide phone slightly or fully to switch display-phone on.it wasn't working since the beginning but when i installed task manager it was working properly almost one day,next day again bad.the same story after hard reset.any idea how to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Have you tried updating the firmware?

PS: Don't use task managers on an Android phone, they usually f**k things up.

shihte likes this.
  3. shihte

no, i will try update i just meant that exist some simple solution, i am just afraid about broken hardware,nothing will help...

4. shihte

another problem.moto softwrea updater doesnt recognize my phone.i did almost everything but w/o success

5. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

What is your service provider and what is your firmware version?

shihte likes this.
  6. shihte

phone was brought from greece,bought in shop as new packed in closed box with seals on.my provider orange.first time when i put sim into the phone and switched it on milestone started do update over the air. all happened easily then i found out problems with light sensor.it works fine indoor or during night but at day on direct sun doesn't.also i installed couple apps. to keep display alive but without a sucess firmware:GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTEU_P046 some build number SHOLS_U2_02.36.0 otherwise phone works perfectly...

7. shihte

i would be happy if i could somehow switch sensor off for good.advice if there is some way to switch it off...

8. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Since you've got the latest firmware update which fixes most of the bugs there's nothing to update.

To turn the light sensor off, you have to go to Settings -> Sound & Display -> Brightness and turn Automatic brightness off.

I don't know how you expect the light sensor to work in bright sunlight but it's just supposed to bring the display to full brightness. The phone has a glossy display so you might not notice it in very bright sunlight.

Try turning it off and setting it to full brightness then try with the automatic setting to see if there is any difference.

9. shihte

i may said wrong,i mean proximity sensor.display on my phone just goes blank when i am calling on direct sun and non of buttons work,i can even hear person on the other side but phone is dead,screen blank,buttons dont respond on my touching, when i am calling from interior phone works fine.i wanted to disable proximity sensor in kernel or somehow...??display can be on all the time of my calls,it doesnt drain battery much...

10. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

That's funny because I wanted (and others) the stupid screen to stay off.. most of the time your ear will hit buttons on the screen and end the call on you!!! Screen off is a great thing LOL!

Try pulling the phone away from your ear when in the middle of a call out in the bright sun... the screen should come back on ... unless you mean something else?? maybe I've misunderstood you as well!??

11. shihte

no,i can do anything,screen and buttons are off all the time but when i am making indoor call phone works properly as you say

12. HTC D

HTC D Member

Hey,

I am facing the same thing as you are describing (blank screen issue). At the moment tried everything that ppl suggested, but nothing seems to be working for me. Even contacted to HTC support services--they told me that I should try to use the phone in a safe mode for two days, which I did----and I should say I did not experience any 'blank screen issue'. But when I switched back to normal mode the issue came back ;(
    I even did factory reset and eliminated all 3rd party applications--nothing worked ;(

Any progress with your device so far?

13. TelusMilestone

wow you should report the bug to them in that case... let them know it works in safe mode but not normally..

14. HTC D

HTC D Member

I did that and now waiting for their response.
    In addition to that when I did factory reset, now not able to synchronize my FB contacts with my phone, it says connection error ...

15. TelusMilestone

Ya I get that sometimes when going back and forth between wifi and telus hotspots. A reboot of the phone should work making sure your wifi is off.

16. shihte

mine works fine indoor and when is too cloudy outside but is dead-screen blank under direct sun.one guy from the states knows how to disable proximity sensor drivers in kernel...but he did not writte me procedure

17. HTC D

HTC D Member

my screen does not care whether it is outdoor, indoor, cloud or sun environment. It justs what it does--stays blank and in order to get back screen back to live, have to push few times on the power button. it is annoying ;(