Lights for the 4 touch buttons eon at all tims.Support

Last Updated:

1. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So last night I was driving home from work and when I got close to my apartment I noticed the power was out. We had thunderstorms all day yesterday. As I was walking up to my door it was pitch black so I used my LED flashlight app to see as I walked into my apartment. After I got in and settled down to sit in the dark I turned off the LED light and I noticed that the 4 touch buttons at the bottom of the phone were still on!!

I thought maybe this was a result of the flashlight app so I rebooted the phone. After it rebooted I turned the screen off and sure enough, the 4 touch buttons are still VERY dimly lit. They are on all the time!

I let the phone sit without touching it for about 30 minutes while I watched a tv show on my laptop and they never went off.

I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this, obviously it may not be a huge issue since I imagine that battery implications are very slim (please don't turn this into a battery thread) but it is going to bug me knowing that it is happening. If there was a way for me to take a picture I would but they are seriously dim, although the back button is brighter than the others.

It is likely that the only reason that I noticed this was because the power was out and it was DARK. Dark enough that I could not walk in my apartment without the aid of my trusty surefire flashlight. So I ask that you go to a dark room, such as your bathroom, and let your eyes adjust to the darkness and see if you notice the same thing.

Thanks all!

Advertisement
  2. Danduhman.ds

Danduhman.ds Well-Known Member

yes, Because they are on sensor,if dark they turn on if light they turn off.Try it in well lit place then cover buttons, u can see that they off.

3. shanndogg

shanndogg New Member

They stay on even in well lit areas as well. This is a problem some of the EVO's have been having. My phone does this, but my girlfriends does not. There are at least two other threads related to this in the support forum. I have not come across a solution so you either live with it or get it replaced.

4. horadin

That does not sound right to me. I can't see them in a well lit room, even if I cover them with my hand, because they are just that dim i believe. Why would the be on a sensor?

5. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

Whether they are on or off is determined by the ambient light sensor so even in a room that's lit but not very bright it will stay on...that help since I can't see them sometimes in lit areas

6. horadin

Even if your screen is off and you are not using the phone?

I can understand that while you are using the phone but not while the screen is off.

7. dmystic1

dmystic1 Well-Known Member

No they are not supposed to stay on all the time.

On another note, if you have your screen set to stay on while the phone is charging, those lights stay on as well. Another thing I think needs to be fixed. lol I think they must have given this thing to sprint employees for testing.:rolleyes:

8. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

mine stay on all the time, always dimly lit, whether i be in darkness or light. i thought it was 'expected behavior' but now i'm not so sure. i'm beginning to wonder if it has any affect on battery life. when my phone is standing-by and the screen is off and locked, they really shouldn't be lit, even if it's just a tiny bit, seems silly.

9. shokher99

shokher99 Member

i have this issue too.

10. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

mine turn on in dark area and turn off in well lit area. happens all the time at work when i transition from room to room

11. horadin

Even when your screen is OFF?

I am only talking about when the screen is off and the phone is not doing anything. There is no reason for the lights to be on then.

12. cyberone3

cyberone3 Well-Known Member

Mine are on all the time unless its charging then they turn off

13. Danduhman.ds

Danduhman.ds Well-Known Member

try going to settings and put brightness on auto!This wiil turn on senser.That big thank you button is there for a reason

justjerry likes this.
  14. thaboyz

thaboyz Well-Known Member

First try setting the screen brightness to auto. If that doesn't work for you try doing a hard reset

1. Turn the power off.
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and release the Power button
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
    If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

If this still doesn't work go return your Evo for another one.

Your welcome :D

15. xdroopyx

xdroopyx New Member

I got mine to go out Finnaly by just oppenign the phisical keyboard then closing it and pressing power button.....After 3 days of the lights on and reading forums i was just messing around and it worked...Lights only come on when screen is on now.....2 days so far :)

16. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

This is interesting. Mine only come on when the screen is on, and if I turn the screen off, the buttons go completely dark as well.

17. xdroopyx

xdroopyx New Member

Yes i believe thats how it is supposed to work.... I have only had mine for about 2 weeks now and it started about 4 days ago, but since i open and closed the keyboard it is working just fine now :)

18. krassh

krassh Member

What physical keyboard?

19. xdroopyx

xdroopyx New Member

OMg i thought i was on a Droid 2 post i am sorry.....But since i have noticed i can make this problem happen and go away by squeezing the phone certain ways

20. justjerry

justjerry Well-Known Member

I'm having similar issues - I think. When I first got my EVO a couple weeks ago I just thought those buttons didn't light up because I was playing around with it in my dimly lit living room. However, a couple days later I saw them come on and I thought "Ah ha! THey do light up!" But I can't remember if they did so because of it being dark or not. So I read this thread and set my brightness to auto, when into my bathroom and shut the door (with the lights off) and sure enough they came on - and then off when I left the bathroom. Also - I then turned OFF auto brightness and set the brightness to 100% and went back into my bathroom and they came on - then off when I came back out.

I guess my thing is -does it really have to be pitch black for them to come on? Last night I was working on my EVO and had one light on 2-3 feet from me and they wouldn't come on - and I couldn't even tell where the buttons were - so I figured that they should have lit up....?

Any insight?

Thanks in advance!
    Jerry

21. justjerry

justjerry Well-Known Member

Actually, I really paid attention to the buttons today to see if they were working as they should. With brightness set to 100% - NOT auto, the buttons worked just as they should. When the brightness is set to auto, they also work as they should. At least on my EVO.