• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lights on buttons not turning on

Shamrock13

Android Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010
The lights on the bottom of my mom's phone aren't lighting up at all. We just got these phones today. I'm not sure if I changed a setting in my phone, but hers don't seem to turn on ever. Can anyone help me? I'd like to not return a brand new phone already. Thanks everyone!

Ok. So after the whole day with the phone and putting our phones side by side, it seems as though it's still having this issue. Is there a setting I happened to check on mine that makes the keys turn on or what?

The Home, Menu, Back, and Search buttons are what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, the backlight for those buttons is dependent on the light sensor on the phone's face. They aren't supposed to light up unless it's necessary. This could be why your buttons work and hers don't, considering the light sensors might not have exactly the same sensitivity.

Try holding your fingers over the sensor on your Mom's phone (to the left of the Verizon logo on the front of the phone) when you activate the buttons and see what happens.

I could be wrong, but I've seen that posted on here before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones