"Like New Certified Replacement" Razr Battery Conditioning?General

1. rich6661

rich6661 Well-Known Member

I just recieveed my CPO Razr. I was advised to drain the battery and fully charge it before the first use. Is that really required?
    It is pre-owned so wouldn't that be kinda senseless? Unless VerizonMotorola replaced the battery.

Advertisement
    :
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

waste of time on a Lithium Ion battery
  3. rich6661

rich6661 Well-Known Member

4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

You aren't reconditioning the battery, you are calibrating the phones battery meter. When they reset the phones software in the refurbishing process they would have erased the previous calibration. Definitely do the charge cycle. However, it is not necessary to do it before using the phone.
  5. quickaudi

Still not necessary. I've gone from a 3800 mah battery to a 2100 mah battery on my Gnex and had no issue with battery meter.
  6. euph_22

Necessary, no. Recommended with good reasons, yes.
  7. quickaudi

I will bite. What reasons?
  8. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

It's true about having to condition your battery meter on your phone, one full discharge then full charge should fix that.
  9. quickaudi

Read what I wrote above. Not necessary.
  10. carracerz14

Says you. When I had my nexus and got the 3800 mah extended battery it reported 15 percent more than it really had. After a few charges it was spot on.
  11. carracerz14

Also, why do you think battery life typically settles out after a few charges?

I have always had greater battery life after 3-5 charges with a new phone or new battery, and that is why it is suggested to discharge your battery then charge it back up.

Plus it doesn't hurt anything, so i dont see why you wouldn't do it anyway
  12. quickaudi

Lithium ion batteries aren't NiMh which need the full discharge. They work much better if they aren't killed.
  13. carracerz14

That's okay, because they die with roughly 5 percent left that way they don't go into an unrecoverable deep discharge
  14. quickaudi

15. carracerz14

Then why do you get better battery life after a few cycles? I don't give a Damn what some website says, it's the real world facts that matter
  16. euph_22

You aren't conditioning the battery, you are calibrating the phones battery meter. It has nothing to do with the mechanics ours chemistry in the battery. you need to do it so the phone would know exactly what voltage level corresponds with what percentage. If you didn't calibrate the battery, the battery meter on the phone could be significantly off. It can also prevent the phone from using the full charge on the battery (if the phone thinks 90% charge is full and 10% is empty).
    3vodroid and carracerz14 like this.
  17. carracerz14

Exactly what I was trying to say.
  18. razrclive

razrclive Well-Known Member

Is there a way to speed up the calibration of battery meter? i.e. to be able to drain the battery faster without damage.

Belay that found "Fast discharge" on google play. It discharges from 80% to 2% in two hours which is good for a Razr Maxx that would have lasted two days with that reserve.
  19. carracerz14

You wanna calibrate it using normal usage, not with an app that drains the battery.
  20. quickaudi

Mine was quite repeatable on both batteries, from day 1.
  21. euph_22

Which is a sample size of one. Get back to is when you have a statistically significant sample. Besides, just because its consistent doesn't mean it's accurate. They could be consistently under reporting your charge level by 20%, for example.
    carracerz14 likes this.
  22. quickaudi

*sighs* To make you feel better, I ran them both down. No difference in screen time or % used on either. And, I'm just the only one reporting it in this thread, compared to a couple that recommends the opposite. That's 33%, which I'd say is significant. :)
  23. euph_22

Again, constistent battery life is not the same as good battery life. And why do you seem to care so much? Is it really an affront to you to suggest people calibrate the phone's battery meter?

FYI: that's not how statistics work. You're still a sample size of one, and thus not statistically significant.
  24. quickaudi

So, in statistics, one isn't significant but two is?

Good battery life is based on usage, obviously, and not part of this thread.
  25. euph_22

No it isn't. Which would be an issue if our arguments were based solely on our personal usage. They aren't, their based on then known way Android actually uses batteries.

You don't agree with those facts. Fine, we get it. What exactly are you adding to your argument by posting things like this?