• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Likely firmware upgrade failure...

EDIT:, gave up, disconnected everything and took away the battery. Put the battery back, turn phone on, everything fine. Still old firmware of course, but at least it's working.... So issue solved.

------------------------------------ORIGINAL POST--------------------------------------------

Hello,

I own a Samsung Galaxy Gio, and I am attempting my first firmware upgrade today... Yes, the attempt is STILL going on.
So I connected the phone and launched Kies, backed up everything, Kies would see the phone correctly and everything. Battery was fully charged.

Then I launched the upgrade process and Kies was about to start downloading the firmware from the Internet. Shortly thereafter my firewall popped up, asking if it can allow Kies to access the Internet. I cursed myself and said it Kies is a trusted application, so the download finally started. At around 50% I left the room for a few minutes and I was expecting it to be still downloading, but actually it had apparently finished and it was starting to upgrade the firmware on the phone. Then I noticed that on Kies main window, up on the "Connected devices" frame, it says "Please connect a device", and I was like "What?!" The cable is still connected, plus the phone is blackscreened with a yellow "Downloading..." writing there, so it just cannot be disconnected. Plus, the phone is not listed on the "Safely remove" list (I'm using Windows 7), but it's on the Device Manager in the USB section, listed as SAMSUNG USB something.
The problem is that the Firmware upgrade progress says 0% since about 40 minutes already, and I suspect things went awry.

Suggestions? :(

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones