Limited service warning

Last Updated:

1. jel505

jel505 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if you could help me with something. I have the htc desire and for the past couple of days it hasn't had any signal, I just get the limited service message, this is regardless of where I am (I live in a large city as well!) I have tried both soft and hard resets, leaving it switched off for large periods of time but all to no avail.
    I know I should have signal since my old phone is on the same network (vodafone) and gets signal absolutely fine. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Is your new SIM enabled? Does your old SIM work in the desire?

3. Cornflake

Cornflake Well-Known Member

AIUI the "Limited Service" alert appears when your account hasn't been fully activated, and the phone can only be used for emergency service calls.
    If yours has no signal then surely "no service whatever" would seem more applicable! :)

When I got my Desire a week or so ago it did this for about a day until paperwork reached Orange and the phone then went fully live, so I would suspect that something's been tweaked with the account for your Desire.

That said, even though mine is working fine it's a bit "over-chatty" on start-up when it rapidly goes through "No service", then "Restricted Service" and then finally just fully works.
    Can't help thinking that a simple "Please wait" would have been a bit better, with any service restrictions announced when it had finally settled down!

4. jel505

Thanks guys, it is the 'limited service' warning that's coming up. It does ay emergency calls only, but what I can't understand is thatI've had it for 2weeks previous and it has worked fine up until now. You might be right about the paper work thing but I can't imagine them shutting you out when you've already signed a contract and been using their network service for two weeks prior.
    Regarding the 'please wait' that's programmers for you they never seem to think of the obvious only the over complicated ;-) jks

33siobhan33 likes this.
  5. jel505

Oh and I tried my old sim card, still works fine in my old phone but I get the same limited service message when I put it in my desire.

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Does the new SIM work in the old phone?

7. jel505

I managed to sort the problem out. It turns out that someone messed up when reporting a phone lost and produced the wrong IMEI number (just turns out it was mine) They obviously black listed it and cancelled the network connection. All I had to do was go to vodafone, show them my airtime agreement and they said it would take upto 72 hours and my phone would be fine again.
    Thank you both very much for your help though I really appreciate the time and effort you put in :)

8. BRUL

BRUL New Member

I have the same problem.
    I tried putting it off. On again.
    It was solved. Unexplainable.